Cool

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cool, there's actually a Fabuglas section now. Since I'm probably the only person who owns one I guess I can write to myself at least..... :)

Ric B

Recruit
Re: Cool

hi
getting ready to pick my next project a 64 fabuglas tempest
nice shape not run in over 25 yrs.
other boats : 52 feather craft - 59 larson allamerican and 47 mah. runabout
ric

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

We've really enjoyed our Fabuglas. Mine is an 88 17.6 Cayman. You have a '59 All American too? What length?

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's irony for ya. In the mid 1980's I bought a 59 Larson All American as my first boat. The 40 horse Evinude blew in the early 90's, and it hasn't been in the water since. It sat in storage about 45 minutes from here for years. When I pulled it home last year my wife who had never seen it fell in love with it. Now its on the list to rebuild next.

Do you have any pics of your Larson?

This is my Larson: http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o90/Jerico101/100_0312.jpg

The Galaxy:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o90/Jerico101/breaktimeS.jpg

I'll have to get some decent pics of the Fabuglas...

Ric B

Recruit

i have sereral but dont have a clue how to post them here
ric:(

siusaluki23

Seaman Apprentice

1973 fabuglas fisherman 160
1970 johnson 60

Boat is 9 years older than I am, and I absolutely love it, and fish out of it about 3-4 days a week.

Phish555

Seaman

Hi guys, newbe here. I have had obs before, but I just purchased a 1988 Fabuglas Jamaican 19' off of ebay. Its an open bow runabout in imaculate condition. 4.3L mercruiser alpha 1 drive. I will figure out how to post pics of it here and get some up.
Nice to be among friends.
Here is the ebay auction number:

You might be able to bring it up on the ebay site.

Phish555

Last edited:

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats. It did come up on ebay. Looks like the big brother to my 17.5' Cayman. I've been really impressed with how well mine was built, and everyone is envious of the big built-in cooler. You should get a lot of pleasure out of it.

Congrats. The people here are really great at answering questions and helping out if you need anything.

Phish555

Seaman

Hey thanks!
Mine has one of those built in coolers too. I already do love it.
I have had it out on the lake a few times already. You probably read the details of it on e-bay. The 4.3 seems to have plenty of power at this altitude. 45 MPH on Pueble Res. I have a small leak that I just posted a question about on the Merc I/O forum, and will hopfully get some insight from those guys about.

Very nice to meet you Jerico,
and look forward to talking with you more.

Btw, why did Fabuglas go out of business? And where might I find info on the company and my boat?
Thanks

Last edited:

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replied to your other post. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have no idea why Fabuglas went out of business. I haven't had much luck finding info about them. I know mine was extremely well designed and built including the quality of the trailer.

This is the only other place I've found info, but its outdated: "http://www.fiberglassics.com/fabuglas.htm"

copy & past without the quotes to get there.

eagleal

Recruit

Hello, Newguy here. My brother and I just purchased a 1966 18 foot Fabuglas boat. It needs work but we have no idea what we are doing , is there somewhere I can look to get help. Like If the motor is good or not and if the hull is good. I also know it needs a steering cable and gastank. Thanks for any help.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome aboard! The guys here are awesome at helping out. Be sure when asking questions to let them know what year/make you're boat is, and what brand/year/hp the motor is so they can point you in the right direction.

As far as repairing/restoring the boat itself, take a look at the restoration forum: http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

For general questions that are not engine related, check here: http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

As far as engine questions, find your engine here for questions and info: http://forums.iboats.com/index.php

That should be a start. Other than that, just look around, ask questions, and enjoy.

Sierafox

Cadet

You're not the only one that ones one. I bought a '69 Trident 154 (15' Trihull)and it has done fantastic on the water. It came with a '69 65 HP Kiekhaufer Mercury, 650 Merc 4 cyl. I had to replace the winshield supports, horn and mirror. Fixed the seats and reupholstered the outbouard motor well cover. All nickel-dime stuff...
Found the boat, motor and trailer on Craig's list and wasted no time in going after it. Wife loves it and the neighbors want it. I've only got pics from the websight. I'll get some new ones taken soon

Sierafox

Cadet

Does anyone know who can make canvas items to factory specs such as replacement tops, open bow covers and side curtains to enclose the cabin?
I bought a '69 Fabuglas Trident 154 tri-hull. It had no canvas or covers and I would like to restore it to original even though it's quite functional right now. I've checked the local marinas and upholstery shops and they have never even heard of Fabuglas but for an exaggerated price they can "trial and error" until they get it right...

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's going to be tough without ending up paying an arm and a leg to an upholstery or canvas shop to make one up. You might post this question to the boat restoration area and see what they think:

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Welcome to iboats and Fabuglas ownership. I hadn't heard of them until I bought mine, but have been very impressed with how well it was built and rides. The guys here have been awesome in answering questions and helping out with anything I've needed.

Sierafox

Cadet

A friend of ours just came over to check out the boat and offered us the left over material they bought to make their boats's sport top. Since they no longer have their boat, they are cleaning the sheds out. I just got 7 new life jackets for a handshake and a thank you. I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's awesome. It's amazing how fast all the additional stuff adds up. Jackets of every shape and size (I think we're up to around 10 of them now), cushions, skis, tubes, ropes, anchors, and the list goes on and on...