Recommended Ski Prop for Mystique 21

traveler01

Recruit
Have previously owned two recreational boats, have done a significant amount of recreational skiing, and a small amount of amateur tournament slalom skiing. Also enjoy kneeboarding. Recently rented a +/-2002 Ebb Tide Mystique 21 open bow stern drive equipped with the MerCruiser 5.7L Alpha One V8 and was very disappointed with water sports performance. Don't know for sure, but am guessing the engine is the 250HP version and the aluminum 3-blade propeller was too high a pitch for water sports. RPM topped out at about 4200 with throttle wide open. Terrible hole shot trying to get 215 lb slalom skier on plane; virtually wore skier out before they got started skiing. Poor throttle control for low speed kneeboarding.

Any informed opinions regarding recommended water sports propellers for this particular boat and motor combination will be appreciated. I know selection of the best water sports propeller depends on characteristics unique to a given combination of boat and motor and expected loading conditions during operation. Hoping to find someone who has figured it out for this particular boat. On the last boat I owned (18-ft Glastron w/ 165-hp MerCruiser stern drive) I was very pleased with the performance of the ComProp 18-pitch 4-blade propeller, which, for my purposes, performed better than a more expensive 17-pitch 4-blade stainless propeller.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Recommended Ski Prop for Mystique 21

Sounds as if the EbbTide needs a propeller with a pitch 2" less. Another problem may be that the boat's tail heavy with such a large motor--and a candidate for a set of trim tabs.

Bennett hydraulic trim tabs will make a boat pull like it's got 50 hp more, as it'll plane off @ 10 mph. They're well worth the $469 price on such a boat, and are very easy to install.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Recommended Ski Prop for Mystique 21

You would need to know the motor specs. 4200RPM at WOT seems awfully low. I dropped from a 23 to a 19 and am very happy with hole shot for wakeboarding. Take a look in the Prop section.