• Yes this is informative and interesting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No this is not interesting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

***SAM***

Cadet
Re: 57 Sealine RD Restoration Project

Hi guys, I'm new here, but I did a similar Duratech Sealine restoration. The restoration was well worth the effort. It rides so well, even in a chop!

Let me know what you think. Sam

Attachments

• Duratech.jpg
    Duratech.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

Hi SAM. Welcome to iboats. Sweet little resto you got there. I bet everyone at the docks loves it too. Is that an 18hp E-rude on the back? What kind of speeds are you getting?

***SAM***

Cadet

It's a 1969 25hp Evinrude Sportster. Looks just like the 18hp one though. Me, my wife and the usual safety gear and refreshments get about 25mph. On my own with a beer, I can get 26mph!

I can't believe I almost sold this boat when the restoration was getting on top of me. So glad I kept it!

***SAM***

Cadet

Here's a before photo. You can see which panel I started to polish first. It looked as if someone painted white emulsion over the original blue vinyl duradeck?!! I used 'Gord's' to polish and seal the deck after stripping. It'll need doing every few months.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

26 mph is pretty dang sweet! I think I can get right around 20mph with my '66 20hp Johnson, but I've never really GPSed it. Of course, another 10hp is always nice too :)

***SAM***

Cadet

I was surprised it went that fast with the 25hp. Apparently the Sportster is quite a desirable and powerful old motor. I had to do some work on the lower unit/ gear case, but other than that its been great. The hull is actually rated for 50hp! It would really move with that much power behind it!

***SAM***

Cadet

The moderators took down my first post of the repro Duratech decals because selling on the forum is forbidden! Shame on me :facepalm: Anyway, here are the decal photos again. Look but don't touch!!

It's a vector file that I drew in left and right hand versions and had contour cut in black vinyl at a sign makers. They are on transfer paper, ready to peel and smooth on. UV resistant and weather proof. I think they will look nice on the boat.

Attachments

• photo-12.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-11.jpg
    photo-11.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 0

58sealine

Seaman Apprentice

Sam,
Wow, what a great boat. Yours is the first I've seen with the interior area finished for the engine compartment. Is that original or did you fabricate that? Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

58sealine

Seaman Apprentice

Sam, I am interested in the decals. How do you want to work this out? Cash?
Tom

***SAM***

Cadet

The splash well/ engine compartment is original. The boat is the deluxe version of the '58 Sealine. I had to redo the transom, benches and dash. Other than that, the boat was pretty solid but cosmetically rough.

I'll dig out some more pics for you.

As for the decals, we can't discuss it on the forum. It has to be handled through private messages.

***SAM***

Cadet

Tom,
I found some pics from a couple of years ago when I first started tearing into this thing. As you can see, all the important parts like the bench supports are still there. They just needed fresh rivets in a couple of spots. There are lots of random holes around the boat. I guess someone had it rigged as a utility or fishing boat with spotlights etc. I think I could do a half decent patch with some JB Weld and careful sanding. You can see the matt white paint job on the deck before I stripped it. Not sure why someone would have painted over the blue vinyl deck. The vents and cleats were so corroded, they had to go. They were so pitted and flaky, they would have cut through the dock lines! I'll try and find some more pics.

I'm still working on the boat now, but it's small stuff like chocks, cleats, lights and wiring. I try and run it a couple of times a month. Love it!

Attachments

• photo-20.jpg
    photo-20.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-21.jpg
    photo-21.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-22.jpg
    photo-22.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-23.jpg
    photo-23.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-24.jpg
    photo-24.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0

58sealine

Seaman Apprentice

Those are great pics. Please send more if you have time. Your's has supports under the back/trunk top and reinforcing struts on the bottom hull near the stern. Very interesting.
I like the Duratechs' because you don't see very many of them out there. I have yet to see one at a show. Great boat.
Tom

***SAM***

Cadet

Here's a couple of shots of a repro decal on my boat. Looks pretty nice I think.

Attachments

• photo(40).jpg
    photo(40).jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(42).jpg
    photo(42).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(43).jpg
    photo(43).jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0

58sealine

Seaman Apprentice

Your right. Those are sharp! Nice job with the wood. Is that poly or varnish?

***SAM***

Cadet

Thank you! It's just 2 coats of quality epoxy over the wood. The boat doesn't stay in the water, so I wasn't worried about UV damaging the epoxy. I think polyurethane would yield a very similar result.

I used a disposable roller to apply the epoxy and then lightly tipped the epoxy afterwards with a wide foam brush. Look up 'roll and tip' painting methods online. It creates a nice smooth finish. I'm not even sure that I sanded between coats. It's not perfect, but it's in keeping with the rest of the boat.

***SAM***

Cadet

Thanks! Yours does too, based on what I can see of it in your profile pic!