Hello Duratech, I'm new here and have a question.

Bruggs

Cadet
Hi all,
I'm new here and have a couple questions.
I've always been a lover of old boats. I'm 43 yrs old and the family has had a lot of junk through the years. From old wooden to metal & fiber. We always had something floating and I'm from western NY but seem to have spent every summer in Canada around the Rideau lakes. I love that place.
Well recently my long time family friend that camped everywhere with us, sadly passed away. He was a huge fishing guy and even taught me how to waterski back in my youth. I remember his boat very well and even a conversation we had when I was like 5 yrs old. We sat around the campfire talking about heaven and I told him when he dies that I would take care of the boat for him. Well I never told anyone that story but it was always in my head for some reason.
Well the his family called me out of the blue the other day. They want to pass along the boat to me. I'm not looking for a free boat and want to give them what it's worth.
I didn't want to bother them with details of it now, so I can't remember what it was.I couldn't really remember the name of the boat but have been doing searches here on the internet. My mother actually remembered it was a Duratech. I found a few pictures and that is it. It looks exactly like the one you guys have here..
http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2526872914.html
Same blue and that ruff like sandpaper floor (that I actually hated). He actually had a Mercury 85 horse on it. It was a huge white colored motor, with chrome and black pieces of trim on the top I think?? He also had a small 35hp Johnson (red with white trim) I think on the side, for when we went trolling fishing. It had the original blue seats and blue bench seat in the back.
Well this boat has been sitting in the garage for the past 30 yrs. His son has been pulling the motor over every year, just to keep it freed up. Oh and there is a 1975 chevy 1/2 ton camper special - baby blue with a white top and 44k original miles sitting next to it. He had a Coleman camper that went in the truck bed and pulled this boat with it.
The family also told me stories on how I was 6 months old and use to sleep up under the hood area of the boat. We would be out fishing for bass in the bogg and I'd start crying from my nap. The other boaters would go crazy looking for a baby thats making all this noise not knowing where I was.

So what is a good price on this boat that someone whithout a history would pay for it ?? because I'd give him everything I have for it.
I'm going to name the boat after his wife and the trailer after him.

Thanks for any help and as soon as I get pictures of it and her in the water, I'll post them here.

Bruggs

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hello Duratech, I'm new here and have a question.

The dash is like the one in the picture? If so, then it's an Orion, a 17 footer. As for price...it really is going to depend on the condition. Is the motor going to run for you? Seats and windshield good? I'd particularly like to know about the motor before throwing any price suggestion out there...and also would be good to see pics for overall condition.

Very nice story. Glad you're going to keep it "in the family". It's a great boat and worth doing so both from the family friend perspective as well as due to the quality and toughness of the boat itself.

Bruggs

Cadet

Thanks Joe,
Sorry for the late reply. This site and my junky computer don't like eachother. I will keep you informed and post info on the other site as soon as I get it.

Thanks again,
Bruggs

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent. Nice to have you here.

Bruggs

Cadet

Well it took a year to dig it out of the garage. I didn't want to push the issue. I went over to take a quick look at it. It brought back a lot of memories. The boat basicly looks like it came out of the showroom. The trailer has some surface rust spots. They decided to clean it up and even took it out on the lake for a ride. He said it took one pull and the 85hp Merc started right up. I was a little worried about the original tires still on it but he said it pulled great down the road. All the lights work and it basicly needs nothing. All the gear goes with the boat.
So the price is $1,800.
I'm going to pick it up in a couple weeks. I'll take a lot of pics then and post them here.

thanks
Bruggs

Bruggs

Cadet

Well here it is folks. I went and picked her up this morning.
1965 Durtech Orion with a 85hp Mercury
Best I can tell my friend was the owner from around 1972
I'd say it has spent most of the last past 20 yrs in the garage.

7797988718_6a0a42fafe_m.jpg

From what I can see .... the white sides have no scrapes or dents - needs a little paint here and there / the blue top area is perfect - no scratches or cracks or fading / the windshield has very minor scratches on the corner but no cracks / the roof canvas is like new but has one clip broken - the sides are here too / the seats have no tears - fold down great - bench is perfect / the floor is solid - no tears or pieces missing in the floor covering - just a little discoloring in the middle traffic area, looks more white than blue / the steering wheel has a little hint of wear / the woodgrain dash is awesome / ciglighter has a little crud in it / all the lights work and are clear / trailer has a little surface rust that should clean up quick & easy / all trailer lights work / tires are good with a spare / came with all the old style life jackets .
What else can I say = I just LOVE this boat.
Looks like a ten yr old boat, not 47. I wish I looked this good.

7798008152_1862eac1c8_m.jpg

7797997888_950c4c5f5e_m.jpg

7798021634_b81e4f8638_m.jpg

I do have a 40hp Johnson here that would probably be a better era fit motor for it. I'm thinking of doing a swap just for showing it off. Thinking of taking it to the local car show.
If anyone needs more photos, I'm willing to help you out.

thanks again,
Bruggs ~ a very happy Duratech owner