Any fellow Duranautic owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm 45 minutes north of their factory in Marathon, NY.
Bought me new in 99'. She is actually a 98 model 13' Duranautic (love that sea foam green) with a 99 model 15 hp Johnson. It flys on the water and I named her "Scoot."

Be happy to hear from other owners. I can't believe they actually dedicated a forum to this boat- -cool!

LandOLaker

Recruit
Re: Any fellow Duranautic owners out there?

I just bought my first boat, a 1977 DuraNautic Ranger 16V. Just a great solid old boat with barely a scratch on the hull. Inside was completely restored in the 90's after it sat in dis-repair for a number years, but she is in great shape. Would love to hear from other owners of similar older model DuraNautic boats, if there are any others besides me, LOL. Can't find much information about my model/year Duranautic anywhere on the internet, but same might be true for many late 70's fishing boats. Hope to here from someone soon.

My father has a 70's Duranautic that he gutted and is in the process of restoring/rebuilding. We've replaced the floor and had it painted but that's as far as we've gotten. He owned a marine business for a number of years and always raved about their quality. It's been dormant for quite some time but hopefully we'll get back into it in the near future.

MacM

Cadet

I currently have a '76 16' with a '05 Yamaha 25hp motor. Does 28mph on GPS with 1 person and 24mph with 4 adults. Great boat, I had a 12' in the '70s when I was a kid.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello! Bought my 1970 Duranautic 12' yesterday. Some guy bought it in Keyport, New Jersey back in the early 80's, bought a then new Johnson 9.9HP outboard for it, eventually moved to Florida and brought it down with him and finally decided to sell it. I paid $500 for the whole package complete with trailer and all. Had the boat out today...I love this little boat, very solid and stable for only a 12 foot aluminum boat. Interesting build method...it doesn't have all the usual ribs that I see in other alum. boats, has a nice smooth floor, channel for water to flow thru to rear drain, good seat support. I've been looking for a 12-14 foot aluminum boat for a couple of months, seen a bunch of them, most are junk, this one is really well made.

I like it. She's a keeper.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

A Friend Is Selling This. It Is A 1977 Duranautic Offshore 16 Command Console. Anyone Have Any Info On This Boat Or Literature? The Manufacturer Didn't Have Much Info. Is It A Good Boat To Buy? He Is Asking 1500.00 For Boat, Motor And Trailer. Trailer And Motor Are Also 1977.i Don't Know Anything About This Brand Pleas Help With Some More Info. Would This Boat Be Good In Bay? Any Idea On Top Speed? IT HAS A 50 HP MERC
Please See 2 Pics And Let Me Know, Thanks

Attachments

• MODIFIED PIC 1.JPG
    MODIFIED PIC 1.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 2
  • MODIFIED PIC 2.JPG
    MODIFIED PIC 2.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1

Chsrlietuna

Cadet

I was curious about what you guys thought of the Duranautic boats? I am going to look at one on friday and if I don't like that one, I see another one that I would be interested in. Since there isn't much information on the web I was hoping to hear from other owners.

I am looking for a 16 foot aluminum v-hull fishing boat! I will be primarily be using it on the upper hudson river and lakes in the Adirondacks. I want the most versatile fishing boat for the money. The one I am going to look at sounds like Land Olaker's Center Console boat (16 foot cc 30hp). The only difference is it's a 1980. How do you like your boat landolaker? Do you have pictures?

Don't see a lot of these boats for sale, the only things I can figure is either they are great boats and people keep them FOREVER or there aren't too many out there. Any Info would help!

CT

Cotuit

Recruit

Did you ever look at the DuraNautic? What did you think? I am looking at a 1981 13 foot boat with a 2000 8hp Johnson and trailer. It all looks, in the pictures, to be in good shape. Wonder if a 15hp would be more suitable for the hull. He is asking $1600 which is way too much for the market. DuraNautics went out of business in 1990 but the name was bought by Marathon. I tend to think the original boats would be better, but may be wrong. Any thoughts?

Chsrlietuna

Cadet

I did not end up with the DuraNautic I was hoping to buy but.... From what I was able to find out about them is that they did go out of business and since being bought by Marathon are now back in production. Every single Duranautic owner or previous owners had only good things to say about them. All the previous owners wish they had their old boats back! I wasn't able to find any owners of the newer boats although it seems the dimensions are the same but not sure of the construction materials. I ended up buying a Princecraft. Although I was partial to the Duranautic color. I love the sea foam green, perhaps one day I will paint my new boat.:rolleyes:

-CT:)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've had a 12-footer for about 30 years. Replaced a few rivets and have beat the heck out of it. Running everything from 3hp Johnrudes to Merc Hurricane 10s. Still going strong!
- Scott

saponi

Recruit

Hi I own a 2007 duranautic 16' boat. They now sell for a little over 5000 dollars new. I have a 15 murc. on it and love this outfit . saponi

aceleon

Recruit

I just purchased a 1987 Duranautic 14' offshore. I got the boat, motor, 1987 Johnson 15 hp, and trailer for 1700 dollars. Everything looks in good shape for it's age. I can't wait for spring to take it out. This boat is heavy duty! I don't think they make them like this any more.

RickT.

Recruit

Did you ever look at the DuraNautic? What did you think? I am looking at a 1981 13 foot boat with a 2000 8hp Johnson and trailer. It all looks, in the pictures, to be in good shape. Wonder if a 15hp would be more suitable for the hull. He is asking $1600 which is way too much for the market. DuraNautics went out of business in 1990 but the name was bought by Marathon. I tend to think the original boats would be better, but may be wrong. Any thoughts?

I currently have a 13' duranautic with a 15hp Johnson shortshaft outboard
on it. It handls great, goes fast, and with two or three people the 15 hp
still moves it right along. It is a nice handling boat, and very sturdy, and will
take rough water. One of the best quality boats ever made in its time. My
boat was made early 70's. Buy the boat, sell the 8hp or trade up to a 15hp,
you will not regret it.

RickT.

Recruit

I just purchased a 1987 Duranautic 14' offshore. I got the boat, motor, 1987 Johnson 15 hp, and trailer for 1700 dollars. Everything looks in good shape for it's age. I can't wait for spring to take it out. This boat is heavy duty! I don't think they make them like this any more.

They don't make them like this anymore, so enjoy the boat and take care of it, and the boat will last you for years. Buy a newer 15hp motor and you will
be happier, even maybe a fourstroke Yamaha or Honda.

reelfishin

Captain

I've got two right now, a 12' V hull and an Offshore 14. I've had two Offshore 14s so far, this is the cleanest so far but someone went and cut the transom down in the middle.
I need to find a new top rail, the extruded aluminum piece that caps the transom. I can weld a piece back into the outer skin and make it factory again.
I sold my last one after 4 years, and stumbled on this one only a few weeks later for the cost of a few cases of beer. My 12' has never had a motor on it, just oars. I keep it around to use as a pack boat for camping and for exercise when fishing shallow ponds.

I had an early 16' but found the Offshore 14 to be the better boat, both are rated at 40hp and since the 14' doesn't have a bow plate, there's not much difference in interior room. With a 40hp on my last Offshore 14, I never did get to 'Top' speed, all I can say is that it was FAST. The 16 did well to but not as well as the 14.

My next project is to convert to Teleflex steering as my 1978 uses rope cable steering yet.

Both of the boats I have now came from Beacon, NY, my other Offshore 14, and my Offshore 16 were from Wappingers Falls, NY.
I looked at a new one, possibly a 16', but there's no local dealers and they've gotten downright pricey these days. Besides, mine do just fine.

Any idea when they moved from Beacon to Wappingers Falls?

DWAYNED

Recruit

You can still by boats from duranautic..

WSDavis

Recruit

I have a 1978 14' with a right side console. Upgraded years ago from 15hp to 25 hp Johnson. Love it. More seaworthy than a lot of bigger skiffs. 23mph with me only. 21mph with 2 or 3 adults.
Have 2 swivel seats instead of bench seat for steering. Front seat was also torn out by a previous owner.
Flotation in rear seat removed by a previous owner to make storage space. (Gotta have a place to stow things when she goes to the bottom, I guess.)
I replaced plywood floor boards this past summer with PT deck boards... makes it lots easier to wash sand & dirt aft through drains/scuppers.
Great for Housatonic River & L.I. Sound, Town Cove & Pleasant Bay in Orleans, MA & the marshes around Plum Island Sound.
Have Deep Cycle battery that takes care of running lights, power receptacle and fish finder.
I've spoken with the folks in Marathon a few times over the years and they have always been very helpful.
There are scores of these boats on the north shore in Mass.
What's not to like about them?

Dura

Recruit

I purchased my first boat in 1974. It was a 1968 12' Duranautic from a co-worker. I've own many boats since then and just sold my favorate, a Boston Whaler Conquest 23. I just re-registered my Duranautic and trailer and hope to be on the water this weekend. This boat is now 45 years old and is as sound as the day I bought it.

I will work on buying a 17' Montauk after my kids make their way through college, but until that happens my old stand-by will fill the gap.

My Duranautic is powered by a 1988 9.9hp Mercury and will do 23mph lightly loaded. 6 gallons of gas will last all day on the Raritan bay for me as compared to the Conquest that would burn 6 gallons getting out of Keyport marina.

Dura

Recruit

Jean-&-Joe-on-Round-Valley.jpg

Ran like new. We where on the water about 2 hours and I didn't see the fuel level drop!
The boat handled as well as I remember.

The only problem we encountered was the plywood motor bracket was rotted to the point that I had to clamp some metal between the outboard screw clamps and the wood.

I replaced it this week with a 10"x15 1/4"x1.5" Plexi-glass. I took to pieces of 3/4" and laminated them together. That should last a while.
Looking forward to this weekend on the Raritan river.

Recoil Rob

Cadet

I picked up a 2005 B14T (20" transom") a few years back for $750. It had been kept in salt and while they properly coated the bottom I had to replace and seal the transom bolts. I keep it on a trailer with an old Johnson 15hp 2 stroke and use it to go clamming, no problem running it up onto the sandbanks.

Anyone know where I can get patterns to put in a plywood floor to make it easier to stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.