Possible new Dorsett owner

rlrobian

Cadet
Hi everyone, you have a nice friendly site. I have been a life long boater and until 2 weeks ago was unaware of the Dorsett boats. (we are sailors) My brother spotted this little lady while out exploring. We have recovered 2 sail boats in pretty much similar conditions, however we are at a real loss for information on this boat.
dorsett.png

Can someone help us with identification of this boat. We are trying to contact the owner and not having a lot of success, yet. We will go out this weekend for a more detailed inspection, we will get a lot more photos at that time.
Thanks
RL

rlrobian

Cadet
Thanks, I've run across that same site. It's a little hard to read and not definitive, but in absence of better it gives a little help. I have also found about a dozen youtube videos on the Dorsett line of boats. I'll keep searching for information on the line, until I can do a good survey and find out what kind of work will really be needed.
Thanks RL

rlrobian

Cadet
Bad news. The boat is a Catalina. We just completed our survey and had to walk away. All that is left of the boat is the outside skin of the fiberglass. The cockpit and cabin have been completely gutted. The transom is gone. The bulkhead between the cockpit and cabin is 60% there but totally rotted. The bottom has been patched 4 or 5 times with new, and poorly finished, fiberglass. One patch is 1 foot by 3 feet directly along the keel line. The trailer has one tire still inflated, no wiring, and a rusted out winch. There was not a single square inch of the boat that did not require rebuild, reglassed or refinished. No upholstery, no cabin interior of any use. I'd upload some pictures but why bother. Thanks to all who've read or responded but this one is over.
Thanks
RL

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thats often the case w old boats, esp abandoned, presumably free boats......

Same for most $100-1500 OBO boats, even those not listed as project boats. But definitely for almost all that are listed as project boats.