300SE Leak Problem

TeamPCBeach

Seaman
Not a leak below the water line thankfully, but water getting into the cabin during rain. We are lucky to be in North Florida and had 70 deg F temps this weekend. We spent the weekend on the boat, but woke up Sunday to a Thunderstorm. We were sleeping in the mid-birth and noticed water coming down the Aft wall. This is the wall separating the cabin from the engines. I see no easy way to get interior materials off the wall to see if I can find the path the water is taking. I am guessing these were installed prior to all the sound insulation ect. on the engine side. The water was coming down the center of the wall and there was not water in this area top side as we had the camper canvas on.

So there has to be penetration on the outside that is allowing the water to run down some structure to the middle of the boat. I am guessing it might be where the arch is connected. Just checking to see if anyone has had similar issue and what your approach was to track down the source.

Re: 300SE Leak Problem

Just a comment, when I stick my head into the access panel behind the dash (Looking at back side of gauges) then use a mirror to look down the gunnels (dont know what els to call those spaces) there is plywood that extends out almost to the rub rails. You see the fibreglass deck sits on top of the plywood. So if construction is similar I think the arch is a good start but also anything mounted near / over this plywood mentioned. Aft bow rail mount to fibreglass, sink / fridge area and windshield screws under the gasket.

One trick I've used is to put cardboard in suspected spot wait till next issue or hose off and look for watermarks. Even after they dry they show the watermark.

Good luck.

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

Thanks for the tips. Because we had the camper canvas on it eliminated an source inside the cockpit. There was pretty much water in the bilge also when we pulled the boat. This really leads me to a location that could pool water and have a fairly large opening. This weekend we will pull the decorative covers at the bottom of the arch to get a good look and the penetrations. My hope is I find a bolt or cable run where the sealant is all dried up and missing and I can just use some 5200 to solve the problem.

TRK81

Cadet

I have a 1996 250, found some of my water coming from the starboard flush mounted marine horn cover. The Mylar had rotted away. Also drain hose for step area was plugged. The windshield leaks and runs inside the frame and drips into drain rail for floor. My bilge is dry though.

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

I think we found the source. Where the arch meets the hull there was about 1.5 cm gap between the arch and the hull. The sides of the decorative cover under the arch were sealed with caulk. This meant when it rained, the water would fill up the space behind the decorative cover. When I opened the inspection port on the STBD side there is about a 8 cm diameter hole in the hull. It looks like this is there to allow access to the nuts if the arch has to be dropped. When the water would fill the decorative cover it would then flow into this hole.

We have caulked the top 1.5 cm gap so now there is no way for water to get in behind the decorative cover. I think this will fix it, but will have to wait and see.