swap cabin and arch lights to LED

Re: swap cabin and arch lights to LED

Thanks for reminding me. i ordered the Apeiron A1120 and the finally came after a month. I have some issues.

First, they do not fit the stock holes. i will have to widen them by 1/4 inch or so. no biggy.

Secondly, they don't work correctly with my light switch. My switch is a 3 position switch; UP - 2 arch lights (these are the ones being replaced), MIDDLE - off, DOWN - center red LED light (OEM).

the problem is, when i go from MIDDLE to UP, the light does NOT turn on. i have to toggle it from UP to MID to UP for it to reach the first position, red. toggling from this point goes to white, to blue, to off, to red and so on. basically, i have to hit it twice to turn the light on.

this has something to do with the switch needing to be a normally closed momentary switch or something like that.

there's no way i'm going to hit a switch twice to turn the light on. i wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

is there a relay or something i can install to mimic the right switch?

I had a few discussions with the manufacturer. these lights will not work for me, imo, because of poor design.

these are not 3 position lights, but 4 positions when powered. OFF-->RED-->WHITE-->BLUE (default color order, which i wanted).

when first applying power, the light goes to the OFF position.

from then, a momentary switch would toggle from OFF to red to white to blue to off, and so on.

the problem is, you either have to hit the switch twice to turn the light on (from no power to 'powered, but off' to 'red').

or.. i have a switch that is always powered, and have to toggle 3 times to get from on (red) to off. so if i was navigating with red on and wanted to turn the light off, i have to blow my night vision with white and blue first.

all i want is to not have the powered-on-but-off position. so my toggle switch would go from no power, to red. if i want to turn the light off, switch off (no power) - just like my lights at home. don't most boats use toggle switches?

i already installed them, threw away the boxes, and had to make the hole in my arch bigger to accommodate these lights so i don't want to return them (they allowed me to return them). if i can find better lights, i'll replace them later.

in summary - the Apeiron A1120 are NOT 3 position lights but 4.
switch the lights twice to turn on, or 3 to turn off, depending on the type of switch you have.

bannister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced all of my interior and exterior lights on my 360 last year including dash lights with LEDs. My radar arch, dash and under swim platform are blue, and the rest are white. My underwater lights are still halogen since there are no LEDs bright enough to work in the murky Chesapeake. I was able to find all of the bulbs on Ebay (festoon, wedge and 2 prong), and the result was great. Even the transom and anchor light is LED. Much brighter, and far less drain on the battery. I found that LED bulbs using 5050 LEDs were brighter.

that one should do it...
have them and they are great even in the marina that is VERY murky......

http://aqualeds.com/

bannister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced all of my interior and exterior lights on my 360 last year including dash lights with LEDs. My radar arch, dash and under swim platform are blue, and the rest are white. My underwater lights are still halogen since there are no LEDs bright enough to work in the murky Chesapeake. I was able to find all of the bulbs on Ebay (festoon, wedge and 2 prong), and the result was great. Even the transom and anchor light is LED. Much brighter, and far less drain on the battery. I found that LED bulbs using 5050 LEDs were brighter.

that one should do it...
have them and they are great even in the marina that is VERY murky......

aqualeds dot com