anchor chain on prestancia

goose25

Seaman Apprentice
hi, i have a 1989 prestancia with original benson windlass. if anyone has added chain to anchor rode, what size chain did you use and what type of splice between rode and chain worked ?

thanks jim

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: anchor chain on prestancia

I'm actually going to pick up my new to me prestancia today, and I believe the benson windlass is rope only.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

I got my new to me prestancia at buckhorn lake two years ago and love it . i was hoping to add some chain but i believe your right about rope only. was hoping someone had used chain aswell. Tour going to love your boat post some pics . Thanks if you find additional info on the windlass please let me know. Are you on the trent system or georgian bay ? Have fun and enjoy.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm on Georgian Bay, love the trent, we try to do a portion of it every year. I am looking for a used lewmar windlass to replace the Benson. It works, but I'm not happy with a rope only setup, and this one currently only has about 100' of rope in the locker, and its getting old and binds the windlass occasionally.

I do have some pictures:

IMG-20120808-00460.jpg

IMG-20120808-00463.jpg

photo.jpg

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

nice boat, we are looking to boat up to buckhorn from ottawa next year would love to explore the trent. the old benson works perfect. And the rope only, makes setting the anchor a pain in the ***. looking at a new captains chair with bolster and if the budget will allow i will look at the windlass . i just love boats LOL :)

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

haha, I know the feeling. I am going to try and budget for a windlass next season. I have a brand new rope/chain rode sitting in my garage waiting to be used.