bad smell from waste tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie1963

Recruit
we have a terrible sewer smell even after being pumped out. I tried running water through the shower drain and then pumping water out from the bilge, which only kind of redirected the smell. Someone on the dock suggested that there is a vent filter or screen that needs to be changed every couple of years but have no idea where that would be. The smell comes from outside the boat not in the head. Have tried every kind of holding tank stuff but nothing works. Help!!! it really reeks.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bad smell from waste tank

Don't know what kind of boat but many have a charcoal filter in the vent line. Open up everything you can find its in there somewhere. Look for the vent outside of the boat and trace back toward the tank. They don't last forever and need to be changed when the smell starts coming through. If you don't have one likely one can be added.

Maggie1963

Recruit

thanks, we have a doral 250se. We checked the relief vent from the outside, but couldn't see anything. Will have to go below to see what we can find.

does it only smell upon flushing? is the odor outside or inside the boat?
the charcoal filter is on the vent line from the tank to the outside. it is huge and should be easily accessible since it is usually replaced each season, or if any junk got into it from being the tank being too full. when the filter is no longer active, the odors will be pushed outside the boat and smell there.

if the odor is inside the boat, it could be a leak in the tank area or permeating sewage hoses. i guess try some soapy water on all fittings and flush to see if there are any leaks (bubbles). squeeze the hoses to see if any smell is coming through. a blocked vent/filter would only make the leaks worse so make sure your vent lines are clear.

you mentioned the shower and bilge water. if your bilge water smells, try some bleach. but it has nothing to do with the waste system.

Without the details needed as Whysosea mentioned, I had a problem on my 250se with smells too. The issue was the shower, bath sink and galley sink all drained to the sump under the stairs. The bit of food, soap, body dirt and other would get caught in the plastic tube screen and create a perfect storm of disgust. Id put my guess on this as I had the issue. To fix clean the sump box out and never let food get down the sink drain.

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

We have found the only way to avoid this is to pump the holding tank every weekend. Also when you pump, once the flow has stopped, add water and pump again. Keep doing this until the flow is almost clear. Then fill with a gallon of water and your choice of holding tank cleaner. For us the cause of the smell appears to be tied with the biologicals that get sucked in with the salt water when we flush since the toilet uses raw sea water to flush.

just to clarify, my post was assuming it was a vacuflush system which uses fresh water. there should be no smells to a vacuflush system and a weekly pumpout should not be required.

so there can be waste related odor from the head itself if using raw water, from the tank/hoses if there's a leak, and from the outside vent line if the charcoal filter needs replacing.

and then there's bilge water odor or shower pump odor.

first step is to determine which of the above is problematic.

Slamm06

Cadet

I have a '02 360se and after pump out I have black water in the compartment where the holding tank is located. No other time do I have this problem, I have an aluminum holding tank. I've checked around the pump out hose and do not see any leaks. Has anyone had a similar issue or experience diagnosing?

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The smells from a rotten bilge and a head system are very different. You, or at least an experience boating (cruiser) friend, should be able to identify quickly which you have. Rotten bilge will be a mold or mildew type of smell. Waste system smell will be much more offensive.

I had a 35' Sea Ray with a vacuflush head that would smell terribly every time we flushed. I replaced the charcoal filter, but only helped a little bit. I was only in that boat partnership for about two months, so I never resolved the problem, but my thinking was that it was due to the hoses being old (brittle) and leaking fumes.

At any rate, I feel your pain, as that smell is terrible and very embarrassing when you have guests on board.

Sea ya...

Taylor Made

Cadet

Maggie,

Do you have a Macerator? I had this problem on my Intrigue (310) as well.

The problem was at the Y valve where the macerator is located. Under the cabin stairs on my boat.

Anyway, this Y valve has an O'ring to seal the system. My O'ring was broken and when I pumped out, the sewage would leak out at this point. This would leave a nasty smell and stain in the bildge. I fixed that, cleaned up the mess, and the problem was solved.

Easy fix too. Good luck.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning fellow boaters. We had a similar issue and after much cleaning of bilge areas etc. discovered that the waste tank is corroded and leaking. We looked up how to remove same and decided to just cut the fiberglass to remove the tank. Worked great to get the old one out. 5 holes in it! And THE source for all odours. Please note it didn't look like it was leaking but....discovery.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does it only smell upon flushing? is the odor outside or inside the boat?
the charcoal filter is on the vent line from the tank to the outside. it is huge and should be easily accessible since it is usually replaced each season, or if any junk got into it from being the tank being too full. when the filter is no longer active, the odors will be pushed outside the boat and smell there.

if the odor is inside the boat, it could be a leak in the tank area or permeating sewage hoses. i guess try some soapy water on all fittings and flush to see if there are any leaks (bubbles). squeeze the hoses to see if any smell is coming through. a blocked vent/filter would only make the leaks worse so make sure your vent lines are clear.

you mentioned the shower and bilge water. if your bilge water smells, try some bleach. but it has nothing to do with the waste system.

I realize this is an older thread but rather than repost.

Where exactly is this charcoal inline filter exactly? I would like to replace mine. I have only had one issue when it was a very hot day and the black water tank was about 1/3 full. while sitting on deck one would occasionally get a waft of sewage smell. So what I did was pump out completely at my marina then fill up/pump with fresh water 3-4 times until it was pretty much clear. Then I added about 4 - 6 ounces of the biological breakdown liquid and filled with about 3 gallons and let it sit for 2 days then repeated by filling and pumping 3 times and it was pretty much as new cleaned right out and I have had no further issue and now I have chosen to pump out every week if a need and each 2 weeks to avoid issue.

However if there is a filter in line I would love to know the correct part number so I can purchase and replace mine if there is one in the 250SE year 2000

tigtig17

Recruit

our boat smells of sewage waste yet holding tank is empty its a old boat 1985 fairline

the inline filter goes from the tank vent line to the outside. my filter has a mount directly on top of the tank. very easy to get to and replace. not all boats have them installed (yuk). just splice the filter inline. ideally somewhere easy to access yet with minimal risk of getting soiled should the tank be overfilled and sloshing around. order a filter with the right diameter filter for your vent hose.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the inline filter goes from the tank vent line to the outside. my filter has a mount directly on top of the tank. very easy to get to and replace. not all boats have them installed (yuk). just splice the filter inline. ideally somewhere easy to access yet with minimal risk of getting soiled should the tank be overfilled and sloshing around. order a filter with the right diameter filter for your vent hose.

This is on your 06 Elegante? I will have to look at my 250se. It is tuff to get up and behind where the vent fitting is to see if there is an inline filter. Next will be finding a filter to is if one was not there from factory. To date I have had no further waste smell, we just pump out every 2 weeks and keep tank clean.

On another note we don't use the raw flush, I have the valve turned off. We add some water pre mixed w a small of odor killer and pour about a cup or two in to aid flushing. I have also replumbed my sink to eject direct via a thru hull.

my holding tank has a little area to hold the filter. when you buy the Sealand filter, you can buy it with clamps or without clamps. i'm not sure if the holding tank had those clamps built in or Doral screwed them in there. looks like the tank reserved space for the filter though.

if you can't easily see/reach the vent filter, then you probably don't have one factory installed. this is something you'll want to replace every season. it should have easy access.

the filter i use is the Dometic Sealand 309310001 or the 309310002 with bracket.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice
I thought it would be worthwhile to update you on how we are making up with our boat and the 'smell' issue. We replaced our leaking waste tank 2 seasons ago. This season, we had a leaking line which led to replacing the waste and water lines. Yes all 50' of them. But, even after cleaning the bilge we STILL had the odour. So thinking we had erased every single smoking gun with respect to smell....we got down to business and started searching a boat we thought we knew inside out. It turns out that there are 2 additional channels the feed into the engine hold. These channels originate in the waste tank area. We discovered, shoved way up one of the channels, an oil 'sock' that was extremely rank. Removed it. We even purchased a scope camera to make sure there were no more hidden surprises and FINALLY have a boat that no longer has that tell tale smell. Moral of the story....if it smells something is causing it. Keep looking until you find it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tidbit, you are updating someone else's topic, w an update about your boat?

Inactive topic, closed

Status
Not open for further replies.