1989 Doral Cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJim LYC

Cadet
Re: 1989 Doral Cavalier

Looks like you are making it very nice. As far as the header/ceiling fabric, ours also was drooping. I tried to clean it and use 3M spray glue...but it did not stay up and turned out to be more than I wanted to handle. I ended up getting an vehicle upholster guy and he removed it, cleaned off the old glue and foam and was able to re-glue. He used a very heavy, almost paste like glue. It looks great and we have real head room again.
I also pulled the alcohol stove cans and left the electric. However, for about 40$ or less you can get a nice little microwave.

Hi. I have purchased a well kept boat, but it still needs a little TLC.
I am hoping to find someone else with the same comments/ideas on the following:

1. repairing some top side gelcoat and original decals (contacted local Doral distibutor and requested kit color match)
2. replacing some rubber gasket around the windshield and side windows
3. fixing the drooping interior cieling fabric.-tried adhesive spray, but it did not hold.- next fix will be shallow screws with caps.

note I have removed the alcohol stove due to it being "un-safe".

I am re-staining the interior to a darker more modern cherry stain with an ivory, high gloss kitchenette countertop.- pretty sharp!!

hoping to share ideas and solutions with someone else out there with a similar Cavalier, Tara or Citation model.

Can share pics!

Kevin

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Captjim, for the note. did the upolstry guy remove the entire ceiling, or just some of it?
Kev

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it is the waste container?

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

xEclipse- glad to hear you are enjoying yours too! I really have gotten to enjoy the boathouse life. Everyone is freindly and helpful and there to have a good time. No regrets in getting the boat at all...even though it have been a $ magnet.
I have been thinking of covering the wood in vinyl to give it a more modern look, but have not decided for sure or not.
I installed a $40 micro from Walmart and achored it down using brackets- will get some pics soon.

CaptJim LYC

Cadet

I was near but not in the boat when he worked on it...between equipment and his helper...I would have been in the way. I believe he took most of it down to really clean the backing and the ceiling, then reglued and trimmed as necessary. It will not be coming down for at least 10 years.

How much did it cost to redo the carpet on the ceiling and who did it?

Last edited:

dejminer

Recruit

any vehicle graphics place can do the graphics. We stripped all the old striping off, changed the stripe colour, and did custom graphics. It looks fabulous!!

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Mine all came off nicely with a light application of the heat gun. I'm way happier with the look of it now. :D

Jeff Clarke

Recruit

Hi i too just bought a 89 Cavalier. It needs a lot of TLC but a solid boat just the same. I seen one of the posters indicate they have all the manuals for this boat. If posible i would like to get a copy of them as i have nothing with this boat and being a novice boater the functions of some components are unclear. Doral tell me they do not have any mauals on this.
You talk of the headliner and mine is well glued but seems to have a lot more joins than i would think were there originaly. Are there alot of joins in yours or should i asume this was replaced by someone that didnt know what they were doing.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Jeff, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new boat! Don't forget to post up some pics asap, we'd all like to see then :D
If you pm me your email, I'll send you what I have on the '89 Cavalier.
John

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had bubble droops that I ended up making a slice in a couple of areas large enough to get a can of 3m Adhesive in. I will try this one more time before hiring someone. I even considered taking shallow screws with taupe caps to cover up the screw (get them from Home Depot).. You just need to drill a pilot hole first.

CaptJim LYC

Cadet

I do not think 3M stuff will be tacky enough to hold up the fabric. It did not work for me. I ended up having to get some one to do it. He took it down, cleaned both surfaces and used some heavy duty glue to make it stay up. It looks great and should last a long time.

CaptJim LYC

Cadet

I delayed answering you until I got back to the boat to look at the seams. My headliner is seamless except for a small section right above the power panel.
I do not think you will find any real info in the manuals for the boat. I have the one that came from the boat and it is pretty generic...most of them are. I would just ask a more experienced boater to come on board and go through the systems with you. About the only think that you could buy would be a manual for the engine and outdrive...West Marine and on line stores have them.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

All this talk of saggy headliners, I was counting myself lucky that mine wasn't, then, up there Thursday night and there's a spot about a foot in diameter that has let loose >.< *add to the list of winter projects*

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bummer...something so trivial can cause so much aggravation and cost a bit!!! I just want to staple the damn thing up-----but i am afraid the staples will either not penetrate, rust, or crack the liner!!

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning fellow boaters. We also purchased late fall a 1989 Doral Prestancia and are in the process of bringing her into the future respectfully. All just recovered the cushions to get rid of the original pink and grey motif. Making new curtains etc. to modernize it nicely. Just sent a contact to the marina in Kemptville hoping to obtain a replacement decal for the transom. Hope your project is going well. We are looking at dealing with the headliner issue next oh joy. Love the boat though and can't wait to cruise the Trent this year!!!

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hey twobits, less than 4 months to go before the season starts! I'm on Scugog too, have to keep an eye out for your Prestancia

rsmyth

Recruit

hey Kevin, love your boat and what your doing with it, sounds like a similar type of build that im trying to accomplish. But am, looking for a bit of quidance from someone with hands on experience with a similar boat.
would you mind posting a few more pictures of your cabin with that darker stain and the counter tops you replaced?
where abouts did you get the counter top?

i own a 1989 Doral Tara, its in great condition and i love every minute in it, but i thought it would be nice to just modernize it a bit.

Ryan
boat2.jpgboat4.jpgboat3.jpg

danduran

Recruit
hi i am new here and hope i am in the right section but i am looking for a wiring diagram for my recently bought 1989 doral cavilier
as i have a fuse that keeps blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.