1988 Rogue 2420

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not my first boat, however it is my first Cruisers. Picked up a great Rogue 2420 with a fresh rebuild on the Volvo-Penta DP290 outdrive and a complete new interior.

The hour meter shows 730 hours, however suspect the key has been left on a few times and guess the engine has about 650ish - 700ish hours.

so, there are a few little things that I need to get up to par:

the 14" windshield wiper has long since lost the rubber. it is a simple straight stainless steel blade. anyone have a clue where to find one. been looking for about a month with no luck.

looking to add another bank of batteries for overnights or replace the two grp 27's with grp 31 AGM's. torn between East Penn and Odyssey. the engineer in me is leaning toward Odyssey....my wallet is leaning toward East Penn. anyone have any problems with East Penn?

looking for the convertible canvas bows. the marina that the boat has gone thru 3 times now has lost the canvas bows (and a prop, and other things). anyone know which canvas company made the originals? if I cant find original or replacement, then I will make my own.

the AQ271C runs great, however like everything I own, I need more power... any one know the limit of the DP290 drive? I would like to bump up the power to about 350hp from the 270 now.

Here are some links to various projects on the boat:

Venturing into performance upgrades for an AQ271C ✅

1998 Cruisers Rogue 2420 re-gel and interior ✅

PDS shaft issues ✅

1970 Wooster Hellion ✅

Who on here like to photoshop? ✅

Here is the link to picking the new color scheme on the boat:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other...e-to-photoshop ✅

Here is the new motor build thread on the boat: BBC build- Don't tell the Admiral ✅

Here is the new paint and interior build thread on the boat: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...-1998-cruisers-rogue-2420-re-gel-and-interior✅

Last edited by a moderator:

bekosh

Lieutenant
Re: 1988 Rogue 2420

For the wiper blade try greatlakesskipper.com/. They are also known as Kendor Marine and are located in Franklin WI south of Milwaukee. Worth the trip if you're in the area.

You might be able to find the parts for the canvas top there as well.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Thanks for the reply, however already been down that path. it is NOT an AFI wiper and that is all I can find. The 14" blades available for sale today do not fit the arm. guessing I will have to replace the whole arm.

As for the top, there are many places to get the hardware or have one custom made. However I was looking to get bows from the original manufacturer so there was no guess work.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

ok, so here is the progress:

the original wiper is a Bosch unit, 14" long. Cuisers can order it for $35. so I went to the local parts store, bought an Anco automotive blade for $6.

found a used set of bows that I widened 3" and shortened the height by 3" to fit the existing canvas. Found a barely used Bimini. with minor modifications to the frame, it will fit just great.

found the only rock in Sand Bay, so I am sporting a new set of B5 Propellers.

Have a backup set of B6's.

got a new porta potty for the cabin, cleaned the upholstery, and mounted two new fire extinquishers. mounted a drink holder for the helm.

still looking for my battery powered blender - its around the house somewhere.

tonight ordered a set of anchor chocks, a new deck pipe to run rope and anchor chain to the well, and a volvo specific flush kit. Wish Iboats had all of it in one location. found what I believe to be a whitecape # 6008HC deck pipe on Ebay for $44.

BOAT really is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand.

The boat hull is good for 70mph according to the customer service guy at Cruisers. so I have plenty of room to improve on the current 43mph with the B5's and the stock AQ271C. Looking to convert to Vortec heads, a different intake, cam, and some carb tuning. goal with the 350 is 330hp. this will most likely wait until winter when the boat cant be in the water for a few months.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

this weekend I will install the anchor chocks and deck pipe to finally mount the anchor so I dont trip over it. still nave the Bimini to mount, however that will have to wait for crappy weather when the boat isnt going to get wet.

need to find a place to locate the rear anchor. thinking of a tote in the bilge area and having it held down with velcro. the other thought is turning one of the rear steps into a rear anchor locker.

Still plan on picking up a band separator for the shakespear antenna, however the radio is ipod ready so will be listening to the ipod all weekend.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

in the front of the berth is a nice little triangular storage area. now looking for something to put the two spare props into that will fit in there and not bang the props up or wear thru the hull. thinking prop bags, however those things must be made of silk for the price they want.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

more progress:

ran 6 gage wire from the hotel battery to a set of power strips. cleaning up 20 years of splices, bad wiring, etc. Added two 12v power outlets to the cuddy for charging cell phones, powering the coffee pot, etc.

removed about a pound of bad wiring, splices going to splices, etc.

need to trace why everything is hot and not run thru ignition. I can see where the junction is. just need to trace and separate.

properly installed the radio (repaired all the twist and tape splices)

new horns installed

Tomorrow, add main circuit breaker to the power feed I ran, button up the interior, add LED courtesy lights, and a pilot relay off the ignition circuit so depth finder, etc. only runs with ignition.

in the next few weeks, two power outlets to an area on the dash for the spot light, etc. LED lights to replace the incandescents throughout the boat to minimize power draw when anchored. Adding LED rope lighting to the cabin.

on the list for next season: rear anchor locker, transom shower and water system, built-in coolers

Scott Danforth

Staff member

spent the weekend actually using the boat and not working on it. intended on touring the whole Door county peninsula, however what was supposed to be a south west wind, was actually south east, so the lake side was rough at Death's Door. on way back in Egg Harbor came across two other Rogues anchored together. a 1988 2400 and a 1989 2500. both with thirsty big blocks. still going the route this winter of heads, cam, and different intake. was almost tempted to consider a big block.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Boat is currently winterized. Started piling up the parts for the engine mods. need to also work on the trailer brakes. will be installing a new surge brake head. bought one off of Ebay for $10. it sat so long in a moist environment with the cap off that the master cylinder rusted tight, hence the $10 price. so for another $48 a new master cylinder kit will be added. cant complain though, a complete new unit is $120+

Scott Danforth

Staff member

slight update.

compiling pile of engine related parts - covering that in another post.

Need some BTDT. the boat is clean - however there is much non-used space outside the main stringers alongside the fuel tank. its an area about 6' long, 18" wide - on each side of the fuel tank. I will be using a bore-scope from work to peer into the area via the access ports and around the fuel tank.

I would like to use the area for storage lockers or a fresh water tank.

other than pulling the rub rail and pulling the whole cap - anyone have an idea.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

plan for this weekend. have a bore scope in hand - headed to the boat to look into the areas that I cant see otherwise. looking to see if I can use the areas under the seats that are currently hollow.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

work on the bulkhead and floatation boxes lead to removing stringers. more in this link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=537457

Motor is together, waiting on the boat. here is the motor thread : http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=503800 and more importantly, here is the first fire-up - http://rides.webshots.com/video/3002954950101989507frlsxt

weather is finally getting nice, going to pull boat out of storage and pull home to finish working on the glass. driving 20 miles to work in a dimly lit area is not fun.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

finally got the bimini installed.

not bad, picked it up on craigslist last year from a guy that sold his Tahoe Q4. got it for a good deal. just needed to tweek the bows a bit to fit the new deck pivots and clear the window frames (they tilt in)

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I did, still fighting ignition issues with the stock prestolite distributor that starts to go to hell at 4400 rpm. that is covered in one of the links in post 15. going out tomorrow to burn fuel and test out the holding capacity of both the coolers and the porta potty :)

just made a bracket to mount my hand-held GPS to the center post on the window. this will do until I get my Garmin 740S

KyHeadhunter1

Seaman Apprentice

going out tomorrow to burn fuel and test out the holding capacity of both the coolers and the porta potty :)

:D:D:D

We were out all day yesterday and had a great time.

Don't know if you read that guy's thread or not, but the one that just built the 383 has a Delco Voyager system on his that comes complete for like 339. I will post a link below. I thought that was a great price for a complete ignition system in a box. As I get time I have been reading a lot of the build threads as well as trouble shooting. I have worked on cars and trucks all my life, I guess I am just trying to figure out the differences in marine...lol. I recently bought a 19ft Baja, for next to nothing, that has a 350 in it. I also have a ton of SBC parts laying around. Trying to see if I have a good combination of stuff to do what you did to yours. Hope you had a good day on the water today!, Jim

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-voyager-marine-electronic-distributor-p-119.html

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Next things to update on the old girl

Here is the list. awaiting for the escrow check to come back from the refi on the house.

Need another buff n wax
Thinking of adding a few port lights on the bow area
Changing the anchors and chains to stainless. The zinc chains rust in about 4-5 times out
RBG courtesy lights
15 gallon fresh water tank and a transom shower
New speakers for the cockpit
A new GPS sounder