84 Cruisers packing leak

essikr

Recruit
Anyone know the size of the packing and shafts on twin 351 Pleasure craft engine drive. I want to get the new packing cut and ready.The boat is in the water. Hope there is someone who has done this job and could offer pointers .Going to replace the clamps on the stuffing box hose's also,would help to know the clamp size. Thanks

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 84 Cruisers packing leak

What model Cruisers? My 297 uses 1/4" flax for the stuffing boxes. I have 350 Crusaders though, so I'm not sure if the size would be the same.

essikr

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. It's a 286 Avanti Vee. I think you are right about the packing being 1/4 " .I'm going to try the GFO packing and order the 1/4".

Do you know where I can get a wiring diagram for the boat. Need to understand the 12v charging system and house wireing. Having a problem with the port battery charging.:confused:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 297 elegante and have all the original paperwork with it. If it was the same I would scan and forward it, but I'm unsure.

I also don't know how far you might get contacting Cruisers Yachts?

I just installed 1/4" flax (didn't go with the GFO, I liked the flax look when compared side by side) this past weekend on mine. Interesting job, but not terrible.