97 Crownline 225 CCR captain chairs, seems way too close to console

jcrukcats

Recruit
Hey there everyone, I just bought a 97 CCR and the one thing that's bugging me is how close the captain chair sits (even when adjusted) to the console, it's next to impossible to stand and drive with out contorting to some crazy position. I'm 5'9" so it's not like I'm a big guy and it just struck me as odd that a boat designed as well as this would have such a basic design flaw. It's the swivel captain chair and it doesn't fold or anything. Is it possible to rebolt the chair a little further back without compromising the stability and strength of the chair to boat and without needing a engineering degree. lol OR am I just missing something?
Also any over all comments you have on this boat would be nice as well. 97 Crownline 225 CCR 5.7 bravo 3 outdrive. 200hrs
Thanks a lot
attached is a pic of the chair on passenger side to show exactly what kind it is.

Attachments

• crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: 97 Crownline 225 CCR captain chairs, seems way too close to console

I would suggest flip up bolsters, they look just like what you have and mount the same except the first third of the seat flips up so it elevates where you sit and by doing so gives you more space to stand if you want to. You could also move your seat back a bit but the possibility of running your screws into an area of the deck that is not reinforced to support the seats exists, I don't know for sure but I think its worth noting.

If I had the ability to add stock flip up bolsters to my 248 I would in a minute but I would do that for a completely different reason as I have plenty of room, I think that in your situation it may be the ideal solution with the addition of adding height to your seat when you want it.

jcrukcats

Recruit

Thank you very much, yeah, I've already been looking into new seats, problem is I'd have to replace both to avoid the mismatch look, so like most everything when it comes to boats it comes down to function vs cost. I really appreciate your suggestion!
Yeah and remounting further back makes me nervous, there's not a lot of room between the back of seat and the rear bench and the possibility of losing structural stability would scare me so that's probably not a option.
Thanks Again

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah moving them back has its issues, but it may be the best option for the mean time, the other side of that is putting more holes in the deck is never a good idea if it can be avoided for obvious reasons, the only other suggestion I could make is to relocate the slider mechanism under the bottom of the seats back a bit, that may be the answer, have you considered that?

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine had the Crownline brand chair option that folds up in the front and is made for standing. I would see if you could find aftermarket ones like that that mount on your pedistal. They kind of lock your legs in a hole for the ruff stuff.

My absolute favorite seat is the Baja boat style with a stainless frame that drops completely down out of the way and puts you in a cage. But I wouldn't alter mine even if they were free.