Crownline Roll Call!!

shoestring

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Crownline Roll Call!!

First trip of the year kicks off in 36.49 hours and counting. (Mohave) water will be BRRRRRRR! definately wearing the "baggier" swim trunks this early in the year:eek::redface::facepalm:

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

First trip of the year kicks off in 36.49 hours and counting. (Mohave) water will be BRRRRRRR! definately wearing the "baggier" swim trunks this early in the year:eek::redface::facepalm:

....and here I thought that hot water and not cold water would cause swim trunks to shrink......must be why the wife does the laundry. Have fun and be safe!

ricktovo

Recruit

I am thinking about purchasing a 2007 270CR, 90 hours. Looks like a good deal from a distance. It will be my first crownie since giving up the Chaparral. From my 2-year search and analysis, the 270CR seems to fit. I need a towable for taking groups of people and high-schoolers onto local Southern California lakes. Then, I want the cruising and boater-home ability when I go out on the big lake.
The 22 ft. open bow Chappy was a little too bumpy going out to the Channel Islands.
The one issue with the 2007 270CR is the engine. It comes with a factory installed 496.Bravo III. I understand that is a good combination for water-ski power as well as ocean cruising. I've just never had that big of a power plant. The Chaparral did well with the 350/Volvo Penta DP. But I'm getting older and it's time for the ocean, hope you understand.

Not knowing much about the brand, I would vey much appreciate Crownline owners feed back. What to expect... up-sides, down sides (besides ga$).
Thank You all.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Upsides are the roof man thats a great boat!! I am biased clearly but I can tell you that Crownline boats have been among the top manufacturers in boat quality by JD Power. They have one of the most loyal ownership of their boats, and as you can see that those boat owners who bought Crownline before buy Crownline again.

Now the bad part
the boat your looking at may have a hull warranty, well throw that out the window the motor and outdrive are Mercruiser so thats no issue but Crownline went into receivership and was bought, they are currently building new boats, and parts for the old Crownlines are still available, but the new Crownline is not very receptive to handling warranty claims for boats built before the new company was formed.

The good side is that they are great boats very reliable and so issues are few, I for one would not hesitate in buying the boat your looking at but I'm a pretty mechanical guy so you need to look at that as well.

shoestring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

....and here I thought that hot water and not cold water would cause swim trunks to shrink......must be why the wife does the laundry. Have fun and be safe!

ummmm, not really worried about the "swim trunks"

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Hey Shoestring! Saw you signed up at the HQ!!

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rictovo,

I'll pretty much agree with LippCJ7. I've had a Crownline since 1998. Trips to the dealer have been few and far between. Most trips have been for minor Merc issues. The 496Mag may suck a little more gas than your Volvo but it's not terrible. My first Crownline was a 202BR with the Volvo 5.7L/SX outdrive. By far the best improvement I've made on my 496Mag/Bravo 3 was to change over to the Bravo 3 XR props (4 blade front prop/3 blade rear prop). Not that the boat/496Mag or Bravo 3 have any problem popping up on plane, it just does so much faster/easier with the XR props. If the condition of the boat and price is right, I would not hesitate on buying the Crownline 270CR. Hull warranty is pretty much a moot point as the 5 year hull warranty would be expiring in 2012 anyway. Like LippCJ7, I'm a tinkerer, so location of dealer or status of manufacturer is not an issue with me.

crownlover

Cadet

have a 94 225br 350 mag alpha 1 genn2 captains call exaust and love everything about it gps 52

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice Crownline guys. Check out Crownie HQ for some more Crownline info.

Where are you at in KY Crownlover?

daddywags

Recruit

I have a 1994 225Br with a 8.1 dpx outdrive. I love the boat but have One question, i would like to get more water flow through the engine, it runs cool but seems to have a lot of steam when ideling. Would rebuilding the water pump help, or should I replace the whole pump. the impeller has been replace 3 times, but all other parts are original. cam, end plate, etc. Thanks

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Daddywags,

I'd start a new thread over in the Volvo engine repair and maintenance section as your problem is related to Volvo and not Crownline. A 1994 boat has a little age but it has been repowered sometime with the 8.1L engine. How old is the engine? I'd probably start by backflushing and check for obstructions in any heat exchangers along the cooling path. Any saltwater use? Any chance the manifolds and risers have rusted and are partially clogged? Do the manifolds get hot to the touch? I believe the Volvo 8.1L engine is like the Merc 8.1L engine and is a closed cooled engine. Any Volvo "safe-circuit" alarms....like high exhaust temps?

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Lipp, I signed up over @ CrownieHQ as well... Nice little forum for us Crownies. Kinda like a support group.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah its my favorite website, great bunch of people!! not just for Crownies though just for good people. Much less traffic though then iboats, dont forget to introduce yourself!!

barry wayne

Recruit

iboats is a cool site i'm just getting into, but the HQ definitely rocks!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well I took the Bow and Cockpit covers to the Canvas shop to get the snaps repunched/replaced, after 11 years I have to hand it to the Manufacturer, my canvas looks great and I couldn't ask for better longevity.....

And so my Boating season begins!!

Change the fluids next weekend and I should be ready for the water!!

2 inches of snow predicted tomorrow:mad:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Got my covers back in 5 days props to Pauls Custom Canvas In Denver great work and better turn around time!!

Got the motor oil and Drive lube changed out, new oil and fuel/seperator filters

Wife vacuumed and cleaned/treated the seats and I ran her on muffs for 30 minutes (the boat not the wife)

I got her registered today so were ready to roll!!

dmn175

Cadet

I purchased a 2003 Crownline 238DB with 61 hours on it a month ago. I have only had her on the water for the test drive but will be taking her for her Maidan Voyage tommorow. The boat is in showroom condition and I can't wait to get her out and have some fun.