Should I buy a 2000 Crownline 180 BR Merc. 3.0

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Agree with others...too much for that boat, even in perfect condition. The video you posted is from a newer generation of boats from Crownline, with a FG liner. The subject boat will be the traditional build with plywood flooring encased in fiberglass...Crownline builts an excellent boat, but at 18 years, then it comes down to condition...personally, and keep looking. just my $.01 worth...inflation!

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
The unfortunate thing is that there is nothing - and I mean nothing, in better condition, for the same price, through a dealer. I find private sales really risky. Hard to find one where they'd allow me a refundable downpayment until Spring when I can watertest. Cheaper will also mean 4-6 years older, or a boat of equal condition but of lesser brand quality being sold privately. This folks, is the market that I'm in. A lot fewer boats available in this climate.

I talked to the dealer again. The dealer has installed new throttle and control cables, bellows, bearings, u-joints, is storing until May, will de-winterize and do tune-up and run-through at pick-up, provides a 30day warranty (that doesn't start until the end of May) against powertrain and hull failure (i.e. imbalance, leaking). The hull has zero stress fractures - Crownline quality. The only issues I'd have to address, are the ones that I can do from my driveway. Fixing a few gelcoat scratches, cleaning or replacing the carpet, cleaning the canvas. Upholstery is 98% New in my opinion...you have to search really hard in places not visible to find any worn spots (again, Crownline quality).

Dealer says flotation foam under deck is type that doesn't get nearly as saturated as they did 2 or 3 decades ago. I've also found no flotation foam issues reported online for boats past 2000. He guaranteed I wouldn't find rot under floor if I looked and said tell him about it if it's there. Said it's likely natural expansion/contraction that happens in cold climates, even in wood floors in your home....which I do have in my 15yr old house. Also I did get in deep as you saw from the picture and found only solid wood underneath.

The dealer has mechanically serviced and stored the boat for 10yrs, has all the records, and will provide me with them. On top of all of that, they spent an hour patiently talking with me on the phone, letting me go back and comb through the boat...AND - holding the boat for me with a downpayment until pick-up time, so I can finalize the deal in May when they do a run-through. Said if I change my mind, no problem as they have a long list of buyers who just want something in good shape for under $15,000 so he would relist for $12k and right now online, in Ontario, that consists of less than 10 boats. He's not blowing smoke because I actually saw a couple boats already reposted at higher prices coming into the Spring.

Needless to say, I've decided to go ahead with the purchase since my market is what it is - it's good old supply and demand folks!

That all said, this forum is what drove me to the discussion with the dealer and getting the extended time to finalize the sale. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that's my boat! Thanks everyone! Happy to keep chatting about any remaining thoughts, and will keep you updated on the deal!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its your money. Me personally, I would drive a bit south of where your at and bring a boat back and pay the duty at the border

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definately an option with its own pros and cons that I briefly considered and then decided against. Procurement and registration effort would be significantly greater, time consuming, gas consuming, maybe find a bit better boat, not much cheaper on the bottom line to make it worth it. But yes, I know others who would certainly do that too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I drove 500 miles one way in a blizzard (1000 miles round trip) to save $5000 on my SeaRay and did it in a day.

then again, I drove 1500 miles one way for a Pizza, Beer and truck cab and front clip for my 1953 chevrolet because it saved me $2500 that road trip took 3 days.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow! You seem to love a good hunt! Ok, I'll keep an eye out for any deals in upstate New York, Michigan or places where I can get there and back in a day. Thing is, my vehicle is only able to tow a trailer that has trailer brakes...and I'm terrified of doing such a trip only to find that it's not what I want. Cost of gas, possible maintenance needed if it's a private sale, duty at the border, registration to make it a Canadian boat, no warranty I can easily act on from a dealer, and the exchange rate, would end up saving me in an absolute best case scenario, $1k to $2k. To me, that cost is what I'm paying to avoid all that hassle. Perhaps more costly in the long run. But I love to "post-shop" so will do a google search in case I'm wrong! Cheers!

loneraider

Recruit
Ontario boater here, used to have a 19.6foot doral with a 4cyl 3.0 merc . Stay away from the dealers (stealers) buy a boat private ( kijji ) or something like that & take your time as boats pop up all the time/ the 3.0 lt is good on gas but under powered. when pulling skiers or tubes and that engine has that bog on take off thats a real pita !! All 3.0 have it. If the boats not looked after i would walk away cause there always more out there.Hold on to your wallet be strong and walk away.
Sounds funny eh? But its true buy the boat thats right for you,your feel better at the end of the day.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ontario boater here, used to have a 19.6foot doral with a 4cyl 3.0 merc . Stay away from the dealers (stealers) buy a boat private ( kijji ) or something like that & take your time as boats pop up all the time/ the 3.0 lt is good on gas but under powered. when pulling skiers or tubes and that engine has that bog on take off thats a real pita !! All 3.0 have it. If the boats not looked after i would walk away cause there always more out there.Hold on to your wallet be strong and walk away.
Sounds funny eh? But its true buy the boat thats right for you,your feel better at the end of the day.

Woo hoo! Fellow Canuck! Tough call though - kijiji not always the best place either...but from your experience, do many more boats flood the market in April and May? I'm will to take a "less than perfect" deal if it means not searching all summer. Also, if the market floods with used boats in Ontario for April and May, do they sell faster than you can find them - and...do the prices tend to be 10-20% higher?

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
To add, my own experience with dealers vs. private has never been with used boats, just used cars. To that end, I've bought all three of my used cars from dealers (and a couple new ones too). Always had only minor issues that were easy to fix. Bought a used car privately only one time, but was comfortable with it since the car still had some manufacturer warranty left on it - which, I had to use to claim about $1000 in repairs under warranty. So, bottom line...both dealer and private can be good or bad, just depends on who they are. To narrow (but never eliminate) the risk, just have to follow your gut and also do your homework.

An example is the dealer I'm working with right now - everything and all my research points to him being a straight shooter. Unlike the private seller I encountered who (without getting into the details) had scam written all over his deal.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update - was also looking at a 1999 Four Winns Horizon 170 - same price, no blemishes, great shape. VP 3.0L. But dealer would not give any warranty or water test and wanted large deposit. Boat had traditional base back-to-back seats with no bench or sunpad. Thoughts?

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Folks - closing off this discussion, just wondering what your thoughts are on the condition of this outdrive...is it normal? It sits in a fresh water lake/river each summer. Any signs of anything that looks like permanent damage/issues...or just a clean up needed and maybe any parts changed?

https://goo.gl/photos/3L9CGAG2e8yxQsJd6

Thanks again!

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Settled on the Crownline - and wow, was it ever the right choice! All the little things I was worried about turned out to be nothing significant...especially for a 17yr old boat. Nothing but compliments from people thinking it was new, based on the condition. Engine ran excellent, and one guy who saw me on the water and how well it moved, was shocked that it was just a 3.0 motor. Also sounds great - not annoying at all...maybe engine bay is just well insulated. Haven't towed yet, but not expecting any trouble because the boat leaps out of the hole as if it is spring-loaded. Maybe a 4.3 would have more jam, but doesn't seem to be essential. It was hilarious though, as I learned how to drive the thing. I trolled the lake for 30mins checking out the depth, etc., before I was comfortable turning it loose. At one point I just about did a "wheelie" because I had it trimmed too high. At another point my engine died and another boat towed us in. We were really dissappointed - what a bummer...until, I realized I'd accidentally activate the kill-switch! Turned into a huge laugh and I was back out in no time with much better results.

Thanks again to all you guys who helped and chimed in with your endless patience and advice. Made the whole experience that much more fun. Looking forward to keeping you updated as I cross new milestones like basic watersports, boat trips, etc.

Attachments

• photo266305.jpg
    photo266305.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266318.jpg
    photo266318.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266319.jpg
    photo266319.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266324.jpg
    photo266324.jpg