1979 26' crestliner 2655 rampage crusader

unadog

Cadet
Hello folks,

I have just purchased a boat which I believe to be a 1979 26' CRESTLINER 2655 RAMPAGE CRUSADER.

I will post a couple of pictures. I can post more if there is any interest. I don't actually have the boat yet, I need to drive to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

I have seen at least one other person here who seems to have the same boat (except for model year.)

Part of the reason for posting is that the boat was not "advertised" that way. It was labeled as a 1976 28' Crestliner. But based on the VIN number and the listing of Crestliner boats made by year here at iboats, I believe it is as labeled above. The VIN is CRL8260M79H

The title actually says 1976., but the VIN tells me otherwise. Can anyone point to a definitive site that I can print out and take to my Secretary of State/DMV, so that I can have the title corrected? I know there are many sites that explain how to decode a VIN, but Crestliner does not have that explanation on their site. Thanks so much folks!

Best,
Michael

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 26' crestliner 2655 rampage crusader

thats a very cool looking boat and with the twin inboards it shoyld move across the water nicely. What are your plans for the boat? Clean up and use as is or restore it.

unadog

Cadet

Hi boatnut,

Sorry for the delay. I was on vacation in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, I actually left the day that you posted. Not much connectivity up there.

I am told by the last owner that the boat had about $12,000 of interior work done for a movie. He said it was almost all done, except for a few places where they wanted bare wood. He said it just needed a few more touches to finish the interior.

I am trying to find out what movie it was in, I want to see how it looks there! I may try to see if I can play down the contrasting colors in the cabin a bit, otherwise if things are in good shape I hate to waste the materials, I'll just use them as-is.

I am going to use for day trips, out to see the fireworks on the lake, etc. Our place is right on the eastern edge of the Upper Penninsula, just before Drummond Island and Canada on Lake Huron. We are on a deeper part of Lake Huron without much protection from the big lake, so I wanted something a bit bigger and with the twin engines for trips across to Cheyboygan (Lower Penninsula), over to Canada, and parts of the North Channel on the south coast of Canada.

I actually have a 32' Bayliner Cruiser that I will use for extended trips - that has sleeping berths, etc. The one limitation I see in the Crestliner is that it does not have a head. Guess that is not much of an issue for a group of guys ... I'll have to see whether I need to try to fit one in. :)

I was supposed to pick it up on the trip, but couldn't coordinate the dates. I am thinking I will head up in a few weeks, mid-may, and just hang out and play with the boat for a couple of weeks before the summer season gets going up there.

Thanks for the comments! I saw one place - my insurance form I think - that asked if this was a 2665 or a 2685, not sure what the difference is? Not a lot of documentation around.

Best,
Michael

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you are going to have alot of fun with it. It would be interesting to see what movie it was in, makes it even more valuble. We dont have many big lakes around here, someday i would like to make it up to the great lakes for a trip but will need to do some work to my boat before she is worthy. As for the insurance im not sure, ill see if maybe I can find some information for you.
Best regards and good luck.

unadog

Cadet

I am from Wisconsin, live in Michigan now. I grew up on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.

I am just finding out now, though, about what is called the "North Channel" of Lake Huron. It seems to be a kind of holy place that might be worth a pilgramage! :p

Basically, starting at the Eastern end of Michigan's Upper Penninsula, there are about 150- miles of "big" islands. They create a channel between teh main lake and teh southern coast of Canada that is between 2 and 20 miles wide. Lots of small, quiet anchorages and little towns. Protected from the storms and large boats of teh larger lake - they all stay out in the main channel. There is also an additional 150 mile+ stretch of Georgian Bay that continues along the Canadian shore to the south. Small towns, wilderness, peaceful bays, quiet anchorages, sunshine and peace!

Now, I haven't been there yet, but I know the beaches and coasts of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan, so I can just imagine that protected area. Either for power boating or for sail. Move 5 miles a day, or 50, head into town, have dinner, run to the food store, hang out. I am so excited about heading up there this summer!

We just bought a place up there in December. Our cabin is just about 5 miles to the left of "Drummond Island" in orange, just 3 miles before the ferry to the island. really looking forward to exploring up there. The second pic is from "Sailing" magazine.

north_channel.jpg

nc4.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That looks beautiful up there!! You sure are lucky. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics throughout the summer. I wish i could get a cabin up there. I love boating but there never seems to be enough time for it or to travel. Maybe in a couple years when the kids are a little bigger.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat, and yes, the North Channel is well worth the trip. Be sure to get some good charts though. THere are shoals and BIG rocks popping up in odd places. There are also some neat anchorages that require a good eye and/or charts. I just got back up there last summer with my kids. (their first time) I went many times as a kid but hadn't been up there since the 80's. It's still fantastic... especially if you are lucky and go when the blueberries are ripe.

unadog

Cadet

Thanks pmillar! :)

I thought that I would use the Garmin Blue Chart v2 Vision Lake Huron map as my base GPS map. Then I can download and/or buy hard copy Candian maps.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any comments on the Garmin maps? They are expensive, the best price that I found shipped is about $250. But **if** I buy a 4" or 5" GPSMAP device with them (a 431, 531, or 536), I will get a $200 rebate on the maps.

So the total cost for a 431S (non-touch-screen, 4" screen at lowish resolution, with sounder) and the map comes to just over $450.

I really would prefer an older 3210 GPS (10" networked GPS), or a 640 or 720 (touchscreens, $800 and $1,200, respectively.) But it seems like the traditional marine GPS is almost obsolete anyway, kind of like an old IBM mainframe running all proprietary software. I hate to spend that much on one right now.

I can get an iPad2 or an Android tablet with a big screen to run charting software quite well, with a lot of CPU and RAM power, for $500. I am already paying Garmin $250 for the maps, so what am I really getting from Garmin for $400 to $800, for a 4" or 5" 240x320 dpi, non-touch, screen? Really overpriced. But the one thing that Garmin still offers is an auto routing function, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Anyway ... Once I decide on using my iPhone or an iPad as a backup, I can pay to download the official Canadian Gov maps, as well as the US Gov ones, plus the Navionics maps pretty cheaply as a supplement to the Garmin.

Thanks for the positive words on the North Channel! I am new to the Eastern UP and just learning about all of these nooks and crannies. I grew up on Lake Superior in Wisconsin, and later on in Michigan, mostly around Marquette and Big Bay.

Now that we have the cottage in the Eastern UP, and being being unemployeed right now, I look forward to spending a lot of time in the North Channel both this summer and early fall, after the main season rush is over. I just bought some good rain gear today (Goretex), an REI rolling sports bag for all of my core gear, etc.

First I have a $3,000 steering repair on my 1987 32' Bayliner 3250 that I need to get past, grrrr :mad: I have to find some used parts for the Volvo 290 outdrive to save $1,000 or so of the cost, dang expensive Volvo stuff! I am selling all of my photography equipment to offset the boating costs.

We will use the Bayliner for longer cruises, it has some nice berths, sleeps 6. I bought myself a good latex mattress from IKEA. Really looking forward to long, lazy, quiet days floating out in the middle of nowhere. Plus some good adventures for the 12 year old. Hopefully he will fall in love with being out exploring like I did at his age.

Cheers all! Good luck!

Best,
Michael

79crestliner1

Recruit

Hey Mike,

Great boat, I have a friend with the same boat. What size engins does it have? :)

unadog

Cadet

It has twin 260 HP 5.7L Mercruisers. It was a performance/day cruiser at teh time. I have seen folks whop say taht they used to hit 60 MPH/KPH, and that they can still hit in teh 50's.

I weanted a twin, and a larger, muscular boat taht could handle Lake Huron! You never know what can come up fairly quickly on the Great Lakes. Our cottage is right on teh shore, no real bays to protect us once we are out more than 1/2 mile.

Send pics of your friends boats if you haver any! I only see a few of these around.

Now, I haven't had a chance to run it yet, and the guy that I bought it from wants to buy it back!

I am a little disappointed, as my other boats right now are more project boats and this one was pretty clean. But he is a pretty straightforward, honest guy, and he wants it for his own use. I told him I wouldn't sell it back to him to resell, but for his use ... hard to say no. He did all of the rehab on the interior, new props, starter, etc. So I guess I will probably sell it back.

I also have a 1987 21' Sea Ray that needs a new interior, a bit of a project boat that I bought for my son to learn on and start to use under close supervision. Plus a 1986 32' Bayliner 3250 Contessa Sunbridge, which is an express cruiser. That one sleeps 6, and would be what we choose for longer North Channel trips. That is at a marina, I have a mechanic there taking care of that one.

But the 26' Crestliner Twin is the one I would pick to jump across the lake to go to Cheyboygan for a day out, or shopping 30 miles down the shore in Cedarville. Ah well, too many boats anyway ...

Also, FWIW, I decided to but teh cheapest Garmin on the renate program with sounder, the 431S.

Also bought the Garmin Blue Charts v2 Vision card for Lake Hurn. A lot of rockls and tricky areas there, only one patcgh out of my own bay for example, a 9' channel with 2' to 3' and rocks evereywhere else. What I really wanted, as I am old and stupid sometimes, is a nice 10' touch sensitive screen on teh Garmin. But that costs $1,500 plus the cost of the map, vs. $250 net for the unit I bought. just seems so obsolete to pay $1,500 for a computer of taht size, even water protected, when you can buy a tablet for $400 to $600, or an netbook for $200. I'll post taht discussion bacvk in teh main thread.

Sorry for teh typos, have to run!

Cheers, Michael

79crestliner1

Recruit

It has twin 260 HP 5.7L Mercruisers. It was a performance/day cruiser at teh time. I have seen folks whop say taht they used to hit 60 MPH/KPH, and that they can still hit in teh 50's.

I weanted a twin, and a larger, muscular boat taht could handle Lake Huron! You never know what can come up fairly quickly on the Great Lakes. Our cottage is right on teh shore, no real bays to protect us once we are out more than 1/2 mile.

Send pics of your friends boats if you haver any! I only see a few of these around.

Now, I haven't had a chance to run it yet, and the guy that I bought it from wants to buy it back!

I am a little disappointed, as my other boats right now are more project boats and this one was pretty clean. But he is a pretty straightforward, honest guy, and he wants it for his own use. I told him I wouldn't sell it back to him to resell, but for his use ... hard to say no. He did all of the rehab on the interior, new props, starter, etc. So I guess I will probably sell it back.

I also have a 1987 21' Sea Ray that needs a new interior, a bit of a project boat that I bought for my son to learn on and start to use under close supervision. Plus a 1986 32' Bayliner 3250 Contessa Sunbridge, which is an express cruiser. That one sleeps 6, and would be what we choose for longer North Channel trips. That is at a marina, I have a mechanic there taking care of that one.

But the 26' Crestliner Twin is the one I would pick to jump across the lake to go to Cheyboygan for a day out, or shopping 30 miles down the shore in Cedarville. Ah well, too many boats anyway ...

Also, FWIW, I decided to but teh cheapest Garmin on the renate program with sounder, the 431S.

Also bought the Garmin Blue Charts v2 Vision card for Lake Hurn. A lot of rockls and tricky areas there, only one patcgh out of my own bay for example, a 9' channel with 2' to 3' and rocks evereywhere else. What I really wanted, as I am old and stupid sometimes, is a nice 10' touch sensitive screen on teh Garmin. But that costs $1,500 plus the cost of the map, vs. $250 net for the unit I bought. just seems so obsolete to pay $1,500 for a computer of taht size, even water protected, when you can buy a tablet for $400 to $600, or an netbook for $200. I'll post taht discussion bacvk in teh main thread.

Sorry for teh typos, have to run!

Cheers, Michael

The 260 hp makes sense, I thought it was displacement and it looke like a 350 not a 260. Now that I look at where you are posting from, are you near Travers City. My friend lives up there, his name is Collin. This could be the same boat.

79crestliner1

Recruit

The 260 hp makes sense, I thought it was displacement and it looke like a 350 not a 260. Now that I look at where you are posting from, are you near Travers City. My friend lives up there, his name is Collin. This could be the same boat.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to iboats, I agree that the north channel is a pretty nice area to explore. I hope to get up there and check out Manitoulin Island too.:)

Make sure that you are very careful, that entire area of northern lake Huron eats propellers alive. The limestone is not very forgiving. Great idea to keep extras around just in case.

I grew up in Petoskey and we have property on the NE corner of the lower peninsula on lake Huron. I spent my summers there growing up and can't think of a better area to be:D

Good luck with the boat, and don't sell all the photography gear, we will need to see more photos:)

unadog

Cadet

Now that I look at where you are posting from, are you near Travers City. My friend lives up there, his name is Collin. This could be the same boat.

Yeah, very funny! I bought the boat from Collin! Now he wants to buy it back. I figured it was really his boat - he did all of the interior upgrades, etc., so I couldn't really say no! (Good think I said nice things about him up above, eh? ;>)

Small world! I guess there are only a few of these beasts left around. I have seenm postings here and there on them, maybe 3 total that I can find online? I do have a copy of a review from a 1980 magazine that someone scanned and posted here I think, if anyone is intertested.

Sad, I miss the beast already, what a great performance boat/day cruiser, without going all the way to a $65K Baja 38 or something! :eek:

Traverse city is in the North West part of the Lower Penninsula. We are up across the bridge, and to the far east end of the Upper Penninsula.

Where Collin is in Traverse city is pretty upscale and cosmopolitan, sort of a mini-San Francisco. We are in what is kind of the "Appalachia" of Michigan - lots of folks barely hanging on and barely making a living!

But I love the UP so much, I keep trying to go back. Been that way my whole life. No jobs, no money, brutal harsh winters, but ... sometimes like heaven!

Cheers!
Michael

unadog

Cadet

Make sure that you are very careful, that entire area of northern lake Huron eats propellers alive. The limestone is not very forgiving. Great idea to keep extras around just in case.

Thanks, great reminder!

With the low lake levels, there are rocks everywhere along the shore where we are. Looking at the maps, I **think** I can find one clear route from our cottage dock out to the lake, with depths of 6', to 9', to 13'.

I haven't had a chance to look from a boat yet. But every other direction I turn, from shore or on the maps, other than that one slim channel it is about 2' deep with **LOTS** of hidden and exposed big rocks!

That is one of teh reasons that I wanted the Garmin v2 Vision maps. There is an auto guidance (auto route) feature that I hope can try to pick a path though the known/charted rocks along some of these areas, while keeping a very close eye on the sounder, and with a spotter on the bow.

I grew up in Petoskey and we have property on the NE corner of the lower peninsula on lake Huron. I spent my summers there growing up and can't think of a better area to be:D

Wow, I am quite envious! I am just discovering that whole area, from the Lower Penninsula to the Eastern UP.

I grew up travelling to a place near Bayfield, WI every summer on Lake Superior. We had uncles and aunts that lived there. I loved the summers grwoing up, just off of teh Apostle Islands, they were just fantastic, sun soaked, remote, pristine, pure heaven. Unfortunately, we never had a family place or cabin there, either on the lake or off it.

Later I went to Marquette, MI for college, and have tried to live up there off and on many times since then. That is actually like Northern Wiscosin, there, closer to us in Milwaukee at about 5 hours than I am now to St Ignace from Downstate Michigan. Our downstate home is in Saline, Mi, just south of Ann Arbor. My wife is still working here.

We wanted our 12 year old son to feel connected to Michigan in a way that we aren't, and have taht experience of growing up on the Great Lakes (My wife is from Door County in Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan/Green Bay.)

Finally almost here ... We sure pay for it with these winters though, don't we? :p

dodgie08

Recruit

Hello folks,

I have just purchased a boat which I believe to be a 1979 26' CRESTLINER 2655 RAMPAGE CRUSADER.

I will post a couple of pictures. I can post more if there is any interest. I don't actually have the boat yet, I need to drive to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

I have seen at least one other person here who seems to have the same boat (except for model year.)

Part of the reason for posting is that the boat was not "advertised" that way. It was labeled as a 1976 28' Crestliner. But based on the VIN number and the listing of Crestliner boats made by year here at iboats, I believe it is as labeled above. The VIN is CRL8260M79H

The title actually says 1976., but the VIN tells me otherwise. Can anyone point to a definitive site that I can print out and take to my Secretary of State/DMV, so that I can have the title corrected? I know there are many sites that explain how to decode a VIN, but Crestliner does not have that explanation on their site. Thanks so much folks!

Best,
Michael

Hi from Roger in the UK. I have a Crestliner Rampage and it's a great boat. It has the twin Mercruiser 5.7 litres which I think are original but have been rebuilt. I do not know when it was imported but it has been completely refurbished and loads of money spent. I have had one engine rebuilt and also converted the exhausts to thru transom giving an awesome sound. It's on UTUBE I guess if you put in 'crestliner rampage' you will find it. My boat has very little cabin refinements as it is all water tight bulkheads probably a safety mod for racing. I know of one other in the UK which raced under the 'AIR CANADA' logo and green colours. These boats are built very strong and are superb in the rough. I have it for sale on my web site www.tbm-int.co.uk