New Crestliner Jon problem JACKPLATE??

benelli

Cadet
I just bought 2005 Crestliner 1754 Jon with steering. I have a 2003 Merc 40 4 stroke on it. The problem I am having is when I turn with the motor acts like it stops gripping the water and I have to slow way down with it to get it to start taking hold again. This is happening at cruising speeds 20 mph or over. It don't have to be a real sharp turn for this to happen either. This boat has the 1" tab all along the bottom and I'm wondering if it's causing a problem. Anyone have any ideas? The motor is a long shaft and the boat has 20" transom. The motor is as low as it will go.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Crestliner Jon problem JACKPLATE??

Pretty sure it is the prop ventilating, Benelli.<br /><br />Your engine could be trimmed out too far or the engine could be mounted too high.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

benelli

Cadet

Yeah that's what it's doing but the engine is mounted as low as it goes and I have it trimed down as far as it goes.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I see your Crestliner 1754 has a 20" transom, requiring a longshaft outboard. Where is the anti-ventilation (cavitation) plate in relation to the bottom of the hull? Above, at or below? How much?

benelli

Cadet

It is even with the bottom of the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Try a Different Prop........

benelli

Cadet

My prop is a stainless 3 blade Quicksilver 13 pitch. With one person in the boat it's running at the upper limit of RPM's. What different prop would stop it from ventilating?

benelli

Cadet

The dealer I bought my boat from has looked at my boat and talked with Crestliner and what they have decided is this. The transom measures 21" so the engine is basically 1" to high. Why they would build a boat like this I have no idea. This is the solution Crestliner has came up with. Cut my transom down or install a jackplate. All this would be at there cost. I'm not to thrilled about cutting on my new boat. The transom has no wood it's all metal. The bracing would all have to be changed. Is a jackplate going to cause any problems? Will it cause the bow to want to ride higher? What other things might it cause? Any input would really help me. What would you do?

walleyehed

Admiral

Afore we go cutting the boat...is there any device such as a transducer, speed sensor, etc, mounted within 12" of center, either side?????<br />I just realized the date of this post....if you don't answer, I know why....... :rolleyes:

King P.V.

Seaman

It ain't your 21" transom, STOP before it's too late!! Try another prop!!