KeelGuard & Crestliner

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I posted a problem with my keelguard comming off a couple weks ago and found that most of you are not haveing the problem if it is installed according to the MFG Directions.<br /><br />When I took it back to the dealer I was told that KeelGuard is having problems with Crestliner Boats because the keel is so thick.<br /><br />Am I being bamboozled?

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: KeelGuard & Crestliner

I would suggest that email Keelguard. Let us know how they respond.

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is KeelGuard's answer.<br /><br />Aluminum is one of the best surfaces to bond to. The concern is more the design of the hull. If your boat has a reinforced rib that protrudes off the hull an inch or so, we do not recommend installing a keel protector.<br />Air can get trapped in the corner seams and too little flat area is left on the flat hull to achieve a strong bond. <br /><br />If the hull is molded or welded or even has a riveted plate, then the KeelGuard could work well. Many aluminum boats have the raised rib and are not the best for bonding external material. These "ribs" or reinforced areas are designed as a built-in keel protector from the manufacturer.<br /><br />Please feel free to call us at (800) 292-9835 if you would like to discuss your application in more detail.<br /><br />Megaware KeelGuard, Inc

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the dealer should have known your boat was a poor candidate for the device.<br />Is the dealer going to stand behind their work? If not I would sure let Keelguard know aboout this dealer.

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

The guard was free. Had to be taken OFF!