Fuel pump on 5.7 Volvo Penta

kebbie

Recruit
We have an 2002 Cobalt 226 with a 5.7 volvo penta. Over the last three years we have had to replace the fuel pump in it.
The issue we have with it is: When it gets to operating temperature, the fuel pump starts to act up bu whinning and making noise and the engine rpms drop down to almost nothing. Then it just quits running. If we put a bag of ice on the pump to cool it off the it starts back up. The local dealer tells us that the gas is evaporating and causing a vapor lock in it which makes it act up. Has anyone had such issues and if so how did you fix them?

Dave Dup

Cadet
Re: Fuel pump on 5.7 Volvo Penta

We have an 2002 Cobalt 226 with a 5.7 volvo penta. Over the last three years we have had to replace the fuel pump in it.
The issue we have with it is: When it gets to operating temperature, the fuel pump starts to act up bu whinning and making noise and the engine rpms drop down to almost nothing. Then it just quits running. If we put a bag of ice on the pump to cool it off the it starts back up. The local dealer tells us that the gas is evaporating and causing a vapor lock in it which makes it act up. Has anyone had such issues and if so how did you fix them?

Hello bear,
I too have the same problem. I have a 2002 5.7 gi-B mfi, I've had the boat a year. Only 275 hours on it. I noticed a whine after idling for abut 30 min, usually fishing or in a no wake area. I wrote it off as a alternator belt squeal until it started idling rough and then finally died. I Found a lot of information in the forum about others having the same issue. Here's what I did: Removed and checked the fuel supply line back to the pick-up tube in the tank. Replaced the aluminum anti-siphon valve with a brass model same size (3/8"), cut fresh ends on the supply line and used seal-thread on all the fittings from the tank up to the pump inlet as well as new clamps. Also, blew back through the pick-up tube to make sure it was clear. I have a plastic tank and did not see any junk in it. This didn't help! Then I purchased a fuel injector pressure gauge; hooked it up to the schrader valve on the top of the engine to measure the pressure of the high pressure fuel pump. It was 60psi and settled around 54psi I figured the pump was bad. I then bit the bullet and purchased a new pump. And a few hours later it began to squeal (not as loud as the old did) and it was hot to the touch. I put a laser thermometer on it and it was 120F+. When it wasn't hot, the temp was around 88-91F. The manual says the normal fuel pressure should be 32-36psi; if not check the fuel pressure regulator (fprv). I pulled fprv out and found some tiny (very tiny) bits of debris on the screen. I cleaned it off with clean gas and blew off the screen with canned air, re-installed it and the pressure went down to 32psi! It stayed there at idle and at WOT. But, it only worked for about 8 hours worth of boating then it began squeal again and get hot as I was idling in.
I'm stumped...I've sent an email off to Volvo tech support and hope they can help me out.

Dave