2011 232 & 242 Questions...need help!

dukeboiler

Recruit
We are seriously looking at pulling the trigger on one of two Cobalt boats - both are no doubt sweet but I'd love some experienced Cobalters opinion on a few questions. We are a family of 5 (3 kids) and will likely be on the boat with another family of 4 a lot. We are into water sports but not very heavily given kids ages of 5-9. We'll likely be getting more into them from here, but mostly tubing for now, probably start skiing and wakeboarding soon.

We're looking at the 232 WSS - sweet boat - but also looking at a base 242. Both of them have the 300hp Merc engine.

1. Is the 232 really big enough to have 4 adults and 5 kids on it pretty regularly?
2. Is the base engine on the 242 too small for such a big boat with at least 5 people on it.
3. Even though the 242 is technically only a foot longer, it seems like a much bigger boat. Is it 'too big' to ski behind? Throwing a huge wake?

Just trying to decide whether to go with the slightly smaller sportier boat or the bigger seating room boat - but have engine concerns about the 300HP 242.

Any input to this rambling is greatly appreciated.

Go Purdue.

atlboat

Recruit
Re: 2011 232 & 242 Questions...need help!

Hi. My family just bought a used Cobalt 240. we had very similar requirements; some water sports, two families, solid boat, good looks. We're tickled pink with the Cobalt. The 240 is almost 26' with the swim platform and holds two families with no problems at all. We have a the 350MPI, 300hp merc and pulling kids or adults is no problem. haven't noticed a problem with the wake yet either. our boat with bravo 3 has plenty of pulling power and a top speed of 54 (we're told, i've been to 50). i was considering a 226 but went with the 240 for the extra room. one, it's better for the 2 families and two, where we boat, the lake can throw up some real choppy water mid-pool. so we wanted more LOA or a better ride. also, just as you acknowledged, even though the 240 was about a foot longer than the 226, it seemed a lot bigger. we liked that.

both boats are great. pull the trigger and get out on the water.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a 94 252 with the 7.4 330 hp. It was more than enough to ski, tube, etc. We also used to put 6-8 adults on the boat with no issues. I am a huge Cobalt fan - on my second now and eyeing a third, but probably not for a few more years.

Catchad81

Cadet

OP, what did you decide? I have been looking at getting a 232wss or 242 wss, but do not find much in the way of reviews. Anyone with further input? Thanks.