started my motor today.

i started the motor today so that i could get more inspiration to finish the boat. the motor started great but than i found out about the hole in the boat. the previous owner felt like patching it from the outside and i see the hole now it about 2" so i will fix it from the inside but please let me know what should i do to get the boat ready for spring? i know i need to finish the deck hope to have that done by the end of the week. but whate is you basic spring matiniece.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: started my motor today.

There is no main-tain-ence required in the Spring. Your tank is already full, your hull is waxed, and the Engine has been properly winterized. To "summerize" the rig, just reinstall your battery after making sure its fully charged, run the motor on the muffs to blow out the fogging oil, check for leaks, then put her in the H2O and off you go.

Now, if you didn't do the proper Fall checklist, you might have issues. Thus, the Fall items should be done now! In that case, in addition to the above, replace the spark plugs, change the lower unit oil, clean the fuel filter, grease the zerks, pull the prop and lubricate the splines, run engine tuner thru the carb and check the prop for damage, rebuild if necessary.

Additionally, repack the wheel bearings, check the lights, grease the bulbs, check and lubricate the coupler, check the safety chain, check the tires, inflate as necessary.

Check the boat mechanicals, lube the steering, and check all safety items onboard.

Finally, check all safety equipment and replace or repair as necessary. E.g., flares are only good for 3 years.

o wow i just remembered that i turned the motor on and ran it with muff in netural with out one of the spark plugs out is that a problem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics) So what is this topic? Is it a restoration or a motor topic? :mad:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Moved.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

:facepalm:

You really couldn't tell the difference in how it ran with one plug out? If that is the case then your engine has serious issues. The loud PFFFT! PFFFT! PFFFT! noise coming from that open cylinder didn't give you a clue something was wrong?

I noticed in your (duplicate, and now locked) other thread, that you said you hoped you didn't break anything by doing this, because you cant' afford to fix it if you did. Not to seem (overly) harsh here bud, but if you can't afford to fix it, or maintain it, then you shouldn't own it. Simple. Mechanical things are going to break and wear out. It's a fact, and is unavoidable. If you can't repair or replace those things, then you really need to look at whether you can afford to even own whatever it is...in this case your "boat". Just sayin.

the motor wasn't as loud but i didn't think of any thing but than i realized the plug wasn't in when i got home. i kinda did hear that noise a bit.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

i hope you remembered to put oil in it before you ran it too...

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

i hope you remembered to put oil in it before you ran it too...

ENGINE oil...new, clean ENGINE oil (You gotta' be specific, Galaxy). Preferably mixed with gas at the proper ratio...since I am guessing yours is a 2-stroke unit.

yes it's a two stroke and i measured the oil exactly with a special gas to oil ratio mixer

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

o wow i just remembered that i turned the motor on and ran it with muff in netural with out one of the spark plugs out is that a problem.

did you have the hose hooked up to the muffs with water running to em?

this is starting to hurt....