New to me 1986 chris craft 253AC

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice
I have a project boat that i received last Aug from our town marina free of charge for non-payment of storage. It has been attacked on the inside by animals, who have completely chewed up every piece of foam in the boat. The boat is an 1986 Catalina 253AC made by Grew. It had been winterized by the owner approx. 6 yrs ago before the owner up and died. His estate payed the storage for the next couple yrs before it became delinquent. I responded to the local ad for the free boat ( I know, no such thing) and paid a mover to bring it to my buddies farm for me to work on. I cleaned out the boat and did very basic inspections before the cold weather showed up. I left it without trying to start it, to save myself the expense of winterizing it again.. I'm going to try to get it started very shortly and then decide how much money it's worth sinking into the old girl. Structurally it looks good and hopefully the winterization lasted for years. It believe it's a 302 engine with an OMC outdrive. It definitely needs a new boot. Any suggestion as to what else to look for would be appreciated.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Did she stay in the water or dry dock those 6 years? Either way, look every place for any rot. Post some photos so we can all take a look at your "free" boat.

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice
It was in dry dock for all that time but was uncovered the last 2 yrs. there is some water damage in the head and also in the aft cabin sleeper, but nothing I can't fix, I think. I'm going to make sure it runs before I invest too much time into it.
It won't let me post pictures. An alert box, with nothing else in it, keep popping up.

Last edited:

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

null

Attachments

• photo218797.jpg
    photo218797.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: