Chris Craft Lancer 17, we think? Can you help?

pwrdesign

Recruit
Hi All!

My father, brother and me bought a Chris Craft in bad shape for two years ago.
We've renovated the boat and engine and its in the water again, waiting for the interior.
I've tried to find out what exact model this is, it really looks like the Lancer 17, but we have this huge engine lid in the back that's also functions like a sundeck for wifes and girlfriends :) And I havn't seen this on a lot of Lancers?

There are also a straight-6 bmw enginem in it, how usual is that?
And is our sun-deck home-made?

Attaching some pictures!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chris Craft Lancer 17, we think? Can you help?

It sure looks like one. Is there a hull ID number pressed into the right rear upper side of the transom on the outside? Should also be manufacturers plates on the inside of the transom, port side, as well as under the dash/drivers side up on the bulkhead.

It does look heavily modified.....a BMW??? Interesting. Looks like the sliding hatch was removed...and steps put in???

cwade

Recruit

I have recently been researching the 17' CC Lancer because I just bought one, a 1973. I am not aware of a Beemer 6 cylinder application, but I am in the states. You should find a hull number stamped into the upper starboard corner of the transom. We should be able to trace it's lineage from there. I have never seen a sun pad configuration on a 17', it could be custom, or a Euro thing. Are you in the Lancer Club over there?

craigjudge

Cadet

What you have is a 19' Lancer that someone has modified. Heavily! The 17 did not have an opening in the center section of the dash. The 17' also had a solid three piece windshield without a center section that opened. Someone took yours and removed the center sliding hatch and added stairs for some reason. The aft sunpad is also not original. The Italians had a version of this boat called the Capri that did have such an arrangement but yours is not factory from what I see. Shouldnt be too hard to correct the hatch/stair nonsense but if the sunpad works and you like that, keep it.