Cherokee Runabout Rebuild

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I am a little confused. If you have a post about the boat, is it another project or this same boat? If it is the same project, why are you starting a new thread for the project. I'm dense and need better understanding and explanation...

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, I am a little confused. If you have a post about the boat, is it another project or this same boat? If it is the same project, why are you starting a new thread for the project. I'm dense and need better understanding and explanation...

Same boat.

I will post new updates for the rebuild here since my boat is a Cherokee and this is a Cherokee forum.

Haven't got around to any bench work for my rebuild. Hope to confirm dimensions this weekend and start the bench soon.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well haven't exactly started the bench but I know how I want to build it. Will need to get dimensions when I am at La boat next.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
La boat was stored over the winter.

Been busy with a bunch of stuff and finally launched her at the end of May. Started right up and noticed no water from pee hole or exhaust. Turns out my lower unit is 76 - 78 and not original for 1980 power head. Anyway the impeller keyway was not correct for lower unit and was destroyed.

Anyway, that problem is fixed and La boat is back on the water.

Wanted to tackle the oxidization on the lower unit. So yesterday brought La boat to a guy to have lower unit shot blast.

They did a pretty decent job. The finish is course to say the least but it's cleaned up well and ready for zinc chromate.

Going to tackle the cowling when boating season is finished ...

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Used a rattle can of zinc chromate on the ob.

Appeared to soak in real well

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Used Moller rattle can to paint OB for Evinrude/Johnson 1972 - 2000. Or close to those years. Pleased with the job. :)

May begin to look for a lower unit to match power head.

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
We launched La boat for the 2nd time this season Sunday.

Simcoe was kicking up a little fuss so we headed south into the canals and into Holland Landing I think?

What a great time cruising the twisting turns enjoying the ride!

And even towed a fellow in a broke-down aluminum boat back to the docks.

La boat ran admirably. :)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
When La boat was splashed last September the windshield posts were temporary installed into the dash.

I tapped the posts for more threads.

And using SS hardware and lock washers the posts are tightened on both sides through the dash. Feels real solid. :)

Have a good one eh!

jbcurt00

Staff member
J, it'd be nice to see some pix of the windshield now that you've drilled and tapped for new screws.

I think you'd also get more foot traffic if you'd continue to update the Resto topic you started. I distinctly remember much more frequent postings from others in that topic. A running discussion that helped you along the way and is a valuable resource for others working on non-typical tin boats.

But you need to pick a forum to maintain an active topic in and I'll close the other. No need for 2 active rebuild topics, one here documenting the continuing work that references the other topic, and another detailing the previous work with a link to this topic. Or I can merge them for you and leave the merged topic in which ever forum you choose.

Thanks,
John