Newb. here: looking at buying 1998 205LE

jefro

Seaman Apprentice
It has the 5.0 FI, Alpha 1 setup. approx 500 hours. It looks nice and well cared for.

1. What do you think of my choice of boat?
2. Anything I need to look for?
3. About what should I be paying?

Still have yet to drive it and have a survey done. Just wondering what the concensus is on this boat.

Thanks for your help.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Newb. here: looking at buying 1998 205LE

1. That should be a cuddy cabin. If so, I considered buying one in 2000. If Should be a good lake boat. Or small river boat. Would not consider using it on the ocean or on Lake Erie, though. Does it have full canvas? What about the trailer?
2. Rotten floor and/or stringers. Those boats still had wood "floors". Hinges on the sunpad (if equipped) Blisters in the gelcoat. Be aware the "LE" series of boats was Chaparral's "cheaper" line. The upscale line is the "SS" line. So seat bases might be made of wood. (My 97 SS had seat bases made of starboard, so rot wasn't an issue) Gotta check them for rot. 500 hours low for that year, but indicates the boat was at least used some. But still check records for any maintenance they skipped, since it didn't get a lot of hours every year. People seem to do that, skip items "because it says every 50 hours and I only put 25 on it!"
3. NADA average retail on that boat is $7960. I wouldn't pay that for the boat myself, considering it was about $20,000 brand new out the door with a trailer. (in 2000 I could have bought one for $22,000 with the 5.0 Alpha)... Unless it was perfect, and I HAD to have the boat today.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response!

1. It is a cuddy.
2. It would be operated primarily in Green Bay and surrounding rivers...
3. Comes with cockpit cover, bimini, camper enclosure - good condition.
4. Single axle Heritage trailer w/surge brakes - nice.
5. Had a single, quick look, but floor and seats seem solid. You can tell it was kept inside.
6. Also has: 6cd, VHF, CG pack, GPS w/card for local waters, p potty...

I am an entry-level motor boater, former sailor looking to tool around the bay, occasionaly take a trip to Door County on the peninsula (15 mi across). Most other boats in this price range are either lower profile bowriders or runabouts. This one has some freeboard and a deeper hull. My other requirement is towing weight. I am limited to about 4000. This boat is about 2600 empty and is about the largest I could safely tow.

Another question: The hull seemed remarkable clean and blister free, however I noticed the zinc's on the outdrive were considerably worn. How worn should they be considering the hours?
Could that be an indicator of salt water? I don't think it was a slip queen.

Thanks for your help.

TilliamWe

Banned

1. Yep, the "5" in Chap lingo means cuddy. "0" means bowrider
2. Don't know how rough Green Bay is.
3. Check that the cockpit cover is still water tight and not thread bare. Around here, getting a new cockpit cover on that size boat would run you $900. The bimini and full enclosures are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion.
4. Tandem would be nice.
5. Check it out REAL CLOSE. Or have it surveyed.
6. Porti potties are worth their weight in platinum, in my opinion! ;)

The anodes, if they have never been replaced, should be worn out, they're 13 years old! You would want "Freshwater Only" anodes. Note, they are about $70 for a set, when the "regular" anodes are only about $40. But for freshwater use only, you want them. If the drive isn't all corroded up, then the ones on the boat have been doing their job, and it's all good.

Regarding the weight. You'll be a lot closer to that 4000lb mark than you think. I would weigh it, to make sure. NADA weight listings are notoriously inaccurate, as well as manufacturer's estimates. The ONLY way to know the weight is to WEIGH IT.

In regards to the weight again. My 97 2135 SS (which was a cuddy that was really only 20'6" long) has an NADA listed weight of 3300lbs. But on its tandem axle galvanized steel trailer (I know that would weight A LOT more than the single axle steel you are looking at) it's towed weight was well over 5000lbs. Also the 3300lbs versus 2600lbs lets you see the difference in their LE and SS series. 700lbs is A LOT of hull weight difference in a 20.5' boat. So the LE is definately built lighter. You need to sea trial it in the roughest water possible and see how it feels getting pounded.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunatly we are having a blizzard here and it looks like it will be cold for another week or so. When the weather breaks, I'm going to have it surveyed and take a closer look at it. I'll check in from time to time. BTW the 205 has a 7' 4" beam. I believe that is where some of the weight went...
Thanks again.

TilliamWe

Banned

Yeah, the 2135 has an 8'4" beam. Which is nice.