Century Coronado - Cardel conversion?

Bill Patton

Cadet
We are in the market for a Century Cardel with the sliding top (not a hardtop) or a later model if we can convert it. I like the idea of buying a very late Century in great low hour condition, but we gotta have the sliding top. So, I was wondering if the later models and the Cardel model are dimensionally the same and if it makes sense to buy a later Coronado and install the Cardel sliding top from a junk boat.

Although I've been around classic wooden boats for many years, I'm a relative "newbie" to Centurys. We want an efficient classic-look glass boat for use on Lake Arrowhead, CA, one that my wife, daughters and their girlfriends won't have to worry about "boat hair" when we go out for dinner or for the evening. The hardtop is too confining (tossing lines, etc.) and I am told the rear engined models ride better (our lake is very rough in the afternoons). Me, I'm fine with boat hair, but I'd like to humor the women in my life who water ski and fish most days and want to look pretty in the evening.

Any help, advice or boat leads would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Patton
billpatton@aol.com

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Century Coronado - Cardel conversion?

Never seen a late model sliding top, do you have a photo?

Bill Patton

Cadet

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant to find a junked Cardel with the sliding roof and install the sliding roof on a later model.

Bill Patton

Cadet

Or, maybe even find and install an earlier hardtop on a later model Century?

skibumpmc

Cadet

I own a Cardel and I am very familiar with Century Boats, so here is my two cents...

• The Coronado and the Cardel are the exact same hull; a Cardel is basically a V-Drive Coronado. That said, theoritically, you could, convert a Direct-Drive Coronado into a V-Drive Cardel, but considering the engine and interior reconfiguration that would be necessary, that would be a costly endeavor.

• Century did offer an "optional" sliding soft-top on some Cardel's and possibly on Coronado's, as well, but to my knowledge, Century never offered the hard top option on the Cardel. I have only seen one Cardel for sale in the past decade that had that sliding soft-top option. In my opinion, the factory sliding soft-top is/was ugly and both the sliding soft-top option and the hard-top options were sort of a dying bread by the 1980's, as people preferred open-air boating. That said, my guess is that you would have an extremely hard time finding one of these sliding soft-tops, either as a "complete boat" or a-la-carte, just lying around, so you'd probably have to have one fabricated.

• FYI...My Cardel has a factory soft-top bimini that snaps over the windshield...It extends past the refrigerator, so it completely covers the driver and passenger seat and minimally covers the occupants of the adjacent passenger seats directly behind the driver & passenger seats. It basically mimmics the profile of the hard-top and takes a few minutes to set up.

• Beyond that, in my opinion, you'll have a very hard time finding a "junked" Cardel as they were very limited production boats made only from 1982 to 1988. There are definitely more Fiberglass Coronado's available (1969 to 1998), albeit, they too were also limited production and expensive boats, in their days. Most people who bought Coronado's & Cardel's kept them in good condition and they have been highly sought after in the re-sale market by people who wish to own, preserve and enjoy these beautiful boats. In today's crappy economy, a "junked" Coronado will still command $8 to $10K and I've never seen a "junked" Cardel for less than $12K. Most of the Coronado's & Cardel's in decent shape seem to command the high teens / low 20's. If you can find a deal on a "rough" model Coronado or Cardel, they will likely need interior, gelcoat, engine and possibly stringer repair so you could be looking at thousands to bring them back to life.

I might be selling my Cardel, but I'd be asking $24K for it and I am not willing to part with it for much less, because there are just are not too many out there.

HPIM0202.jpg

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most people who bought Coronado's & Cardel's kept them in good condition and they have been highly sought after in the re-sale market by people who wish to own, preserve and enjoy these beautiful boats. In today's crappy economy, a "junked" Coronado will still command $8 to $10K and I've never seen a "junked" Cardel for less than $12K. Most of the Coronado's & Cardel's in decent shape seem to command the high teens / low 20's. If you can find a deal on a "rough" model Coronado or Cardel, they will likely need interior, gelcoat, engine and possibly stringer repair so you could be looking at thousands to bring them back to life.

I believe your prices are a bit inflated, 1980's Coronados will range in price from 2K to 15K.....condition is everything. People will ask even more for them but in my experience they don't get anywhere near 20K for them. Paid $7,995 in July 2010 for a straight inboard 1980 Coronado on a 2000 tandem axle trailer. I'ts not a museum piece, but it's a very nice boat with original interior that people assume has been replaced when they see it. It has a few bumps and bruises on the gel, but it's 30 years old. The Cardel was available as an I/O as well as a V-drive and neither would bring as much as a straight inboard in resale value. I've seen Coronados that need gutting listed at 3-4K.....they usually sell for much less. You can get a fully restored mid 50's Coronado for that 24K. The Cardel was limited production because dealers had trouble selling them, hence they were only around for a short time compared to the straight inboard models.

You've got a very nice looking Coronado Cardel there....was that picture taken on Wawasee in northern Indiana? That boat looks familiar. Love the extended swim platform!

skibumpmc

Cadet

Mark,

I agree with you on "current" pricing and I see that you bought yours in 2010...Prices have plummeted, since 2008, so you probably got a good deal in 2010. A few years earlier, you might have found prices around $12K to be common for a average condition Coronado. In fact, a few years ago, there was also a guy out east who specialized in restoring Century?s who was selling 100% restored Cardel?s for $30K+; he told me he used to find them for $8 to $12K, but that they were getting harder and harder to find; I?m sure his business has tanked! Bottom line, there are always deals out there, but with an older Century, condition, like stringer issues, is always a factor to consider...That said, a $2-4K boat could easily cost an uninformed buyer an additional $10K+ with Stringers, Floor, Interior, Gelcoat, etc. Other things to consider are color and originality of the boat...I wanted original and I did not want an orange, green or poop-brown boat and many of the 70's & 80's boats were made in those colors.

I am not too sure how familiar you are with Century's?For me, aside from growing up on a lake and being around these boats, I started researching them, seriously, in 2000 and it became a hobby of mine. I was looking for a Cardel, not a Coronado and, as such, over the years, I saw very, very few Cardel?s available and even fewer that were in suitable condition?I did not want a project boat. Subsequently, I bought a Malibu in 2001, although I kept looking for a Cardel. It took me until 2005 to actually find, the ?right? one that was in very good shape, original and 100% complete (1 owner boat owned by a Texas Oil Man) Had I been looking at Coronado?s I would have found one much sooner, as there were many more available, but I wanted the V-Drive Cardel.

As far as value of Coronado?s versus Cardel?s, that?s where I respectfully disagree with you. The Coronado and the Cardel are the same boat, albeit in different drive formats. While limited, there are plenty of Coronado?s out there, but the rarity of the V-Drive Cardel is actually desirable to many Century aficionados?The I/O is completely undesirable! That said, condition being equal, every Cardel I?ve ever seen commanded more money than a Coronado. Beyond that, Cardel resale has nothing to do with dealers having trouble selling Cardel?s in the 1980?s, because the reality is that Century had trouble selling all of its boats in the 1980?s in the midst of cheaper competition from a myriad of boat manufacturers. Indeed, Coronado?s & Cardels were a ?rich man?s? boat that quite simply cost way more than what the average boating consumer was willing to pay for a boat. In the 80?s the average consumer had a choice of buying a Bayslimer for $5-7K or a Coronado for $17K and they chose the cheaper boat. Indeed by the late 1980?s/Early 1990?s the Coronado and the ?top-of-the line? Cardel price tag crested well into the mid-to-high $20K range...Simply well beyond what the average consumer was willing to spend on a boat, at that time.

As far as supply & demand, Century started making the Fiberglass Coronado's in 1969 and continued production until 1998. However, there were no Coronado?s made from 1977 until 1980 and after 1987 the Century ?Heritage Line? which included the Coronado, Cardel, Resorter and Arabian, were sometimes very limited or non-existent in certain production years. On the other hand, Cardel?s were only made by the ?original? Century from 1982 thru 1986 and while there were a few Cardel?s made from 1987 thru 1992, these are ?Post-Manistee? models that were made as Century?s boat sales stagnated and the company sold out. In 1987, as Century was sucking wind, they were acquired by Glasstream and moved from Manistee, Michigan to Florida, later being acquired by Yamaha. So, the reality is that there are many more Coronado?s out there than Cardel?s and this makes the Cardel, rarer and more desirable. While you may not desire a Cardel over a Coronado, much less pay more for a Cardel, many people would!

The reality is, today, I just don?t see too many "good condition" Coronado?s and even fewer Cardel?s out there for sale. I suspect a reason for this is because most people that owned or bought these boats have money and are probably holding onto them until the market rebounds?A lot of collectors grabbed them over the past 10 years and are holding on to them. A boat is usually not a good investment, but these ?classic? boats hold their own and will likely increase in value, over the years...You will likely not lose anything on yours, at that price you paid. I have an offer from a neighbor of mine in the high teens, but I don?t really want to sell it, because I feel that I will someday have ?sellers remorse? and I probably won?t be able to find one, as nice as I already have.

Either way, the Coronado and the Cardel are beautiful, classic boats that are real head-turners...In many ways, they are priceless...Enjoy your boat!

BTW...Picture was taken on Channel Lake, IL

HPIM0134.jpgHPIM0193.jpg

1980Coronado

Great looking boat skibumpmc...love the fridge! You may be correct about the V-drive.....probably very few left.
I have people drive over to me to compliment mine....some people know a classic when they see it. I've never had anyone do that before....we'll be sitting in the middle of the lake with the kids swimming and someone will just drive up and wanna talk about the boat....wife's like: who's that?...me: no idea. I was a teen in the 80's spending weekends on Indiana's largest natural lake, Wawasee. There was a large Century Dealer on the lake, Wawasee Boat Company, so Century boats were something you saw a lot of and to this day you see some very well cared for Resorters, Arabians, and Coronados. I've wanted a Coronado since I was old enough to drive a boat. Wasn't even looking for a boat when I stumbled into this one and I about choked when he gave me the low price....I was like: Whats wrong with it? Given gas prices and the economy there are not very many people looking for 30 year old boats with Big Block Chevy power.

I did a little research myself and found that the Coronado wasn't even offered in 1980 by Century, but a few dealers got enough orders for them to build a few. Based on the HIN, mine was the second one built and was produced in June of 1980. I'd love to know how many were actually produce that year.

attachment.php

Attachments

• returning to base.jpg
    returning to base.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Goin for a Cruise.jpg
    Goin for a Cruise.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Kids in the back seat.jpg
    Kids in the back seat.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2

skibumpmc

Cadet

<>​

"Wooden" Coronado production numbers were always low, as these were expensive boats! While the Century Boat Club has production numbers for the "wooden" era, they do not have accurate or actual production numbers for the "fiberglass" era, from 1969 on. From the Century Boat Club, in 1968, there were 61 "wood" Coronado's built and the average for the 1960's "wood" Coronado Production was 70/year. When Century switched to Fiberglass in 1969, it's safe to assume that the Fiberglass Coronado production numbers remained on par with Wood Coronado's, as they were still very expensive boats. However, even if Fiberglass Coronado production increased to say, 100/year, that still indicates the rarity of the Coronado models. When the Cardel was introduced in 1982, the production numbers for Cardel's were much lower than the Coronado's.

Given what you told me about the 1980 model year, that means that there were "14 or 15" years of Fiberglass Coronado Production..."8" Years from 1969 thru 1976 and "6-7" years from 1980/81 to 1986, so if you use an average of "70" Coronado's per year that means you have an estimated total production of approximately 1050 Fiberglass Coronado?s that were ever produced by the "original" Century Boat Company in Manistee, Michigan. Who knows how many were made from 1987 to 1998 after Century sold-out...Maybe a couple of hundred, in total ? ? ?

Indeed, the only way to attempt to determine actual fiberglass production numbers would be to track down Coronado?s with Hull Identification Numbers that were manufactured late in the model year, like December, and then try to estimate from there. Century Boat Club has the "code" for decoding and determining the hull number & production run for your Century model. http://centuryboatclub.com/production/hullnumberpost1972/hnceb.htm

My Cardel was made in December of 1986, so that means that it would be one of the last Century's made in Manistee, Michigan. My Hull is number 69. I do not know, for sure, if that means there were 69 Cardel?s made that year or 69 Coronado's, since the Cardel is the same hull as a Coronado. However, I would doubt that there were 69 Cardel?s made that year, given the estimated production average 70 Coronado's, per year, combined with the fact that Cardel's were much more limited than Coronado's. Beyond that, Century was "sucking wind" at that time and they were on the cusp of being sold and moved to Florida.

That all being said, it's safe to say that there were probably no more than 1200 Fiberglass Coronado's ever produced from 1969 to 1998. As far as Cardel production, while there were some Cardel?s made from 1987 to 1992, the "Manistee" Cardel's were made for only 5 years from 1982 thru 1986. So, if you assume that 25% of an average of 70 Coronado Hulls per year were built as Cardel?s, that means there were approximately "87" Cardel?s were ever built in Manistee. However, I suspect that overall production numbers for the Cardel, including the post-Manistee models from 1987 to 1992, would be greater than the mere "87" I estimated. However, if you guestimate that "250" Cardel's were built, in total, then that makes the Cardel an extremely rare boat!

Coronado or Cardel...I love 'em both ! ! !

1980Coronado

<>​

"Wooden" Coronado production numbers were always low, as these were expensive boats! While the Century Boat Club has production numbers for the "wooden" era, they do not have accurate or actual production numbers for the "fiberglass" era, from 1969 on. From the Century Boat Club, in 1968, there were 61 "wood" Coronado's built and the average for the 1960's "wood" Coronado Production was 70/year. When Century switched to Fiberglass in 1969, it's safe to assume that the Fiberglass Coronado production numbers remained on par with Wood Coronado's, as they were still very expensive boats. However, even if Fiberglass Coronado production increased to say, 100/year, that still indicates the rarity of the Coronado models. When the Cardel was introduced in 1982, the production numbers for Cardel's were much lower than the Coronado's.

Given what you told me about the 1980 model year, that means that there were "14 or 15" years of Fiberglass Coronado Production..."8" Years from 1969 thru 1976 and "6-7" years from 1980/81 to 1986, so if you use an average of "70" Coronado's per year that means you have an estimated total production of approximately 1050 Fiberglass Coronado?s that were ever produced by the "original" Century Boat Company in Manistee, Michigan. Who knows how many were made from 1987 to 1998 after Century sold-out...Maybe a couple of hundred, in total ? ? ?

Indeed, the only way to attempt to determine actual fiberglass production numbers would be to track down Coronado?s with Hull Identification Numbers that were manufactured late in the model year, like December, and then try to estimate from there. Century Boat Club has the "code" for decoding and determining the hull number & production run for your Century model. http://centuryboatclub.com/production/hullnumberpost1972/hnceb.htm

My Cardel was made in December of 1986, so that means that it would be one of the last Century's made in Manistee, Michigan. My Hull is number 69. I do not know, for sure, if that means there were 69 Cardel?s made that year or 69 Coronado's, since the Cardel is the same hull as a Coronado. However, I would doubt that there were 69 Cardel?s made that year, given the estimated production average 70 Coronado's, per year, combined with the fact that Cardel's were much more limited than Coronado's. Beyond that, Century was "sucking wind" at that time and they were on the cusp of being sold and moved to Florida.

That all being said, it's safe to say that there were probably no more than 1200 Fiberglass Coronado's ever produced from 1969 to 1998. As far as Cardel production, while there were some Cardel?s made from 1987 to 1992, the "Manistee" Cardel's were made for only 5 years from 1982 thru 1986. So, if you assume that 25% of an average of 70 Coronado Hulls per year were built as Cardel?s, that means there were approximately "87" Cardel?s were ever built in Manistee. However, I suspect that overall production numbers for the Cardel, including the post-Manistee models from 1987 to 1992, would be greater than the mere "87" I estimated. However, if you guestimate that "250" Cardel's were built, in total, then that makes the Cardel an extremely rare boat!

Coronado or Cardel...I love 'em both ! ! !

The sequential numbers started with 50....so yours being 69 is the 20th Coronado hull built that year. The HIN has a unique prefix code for each drive configuration, but I suspect that the number has no reference to drive config.....meaning the hull number doesn't give you any clue as to how many of the V-Drives, I/O's, or Inboards, were manufactured in a given year. FA = Cardel Stern drive, FV = Cardel V-drive, FR = Coronado 21 (straight Inboard)

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Production numbers from CBC

Attachments

• coro-numbers.jpg
    coro-numbers.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1

1980Coronado

Production numbers from CBC

They produced at least 2 Coronado's in 1980 based on my HIN: CEBFR051M80K......I was informed by A&A Marine that there were a few built in 1980 for some dealers that got an order together. Wish I knew exactly how many. When I saw the boat listed I asked the dealer to confirm the HIN because everything I knew said they didn't make any Coronado's in 1980. They didn't even offer them in the catalog in 80. I figured the dealer had just written the number down wrong....but it was right.

skibumpmc

Cadet

Mark,

Thanks...I was unaware of them starting at 50.

My Hull is CEB FV069 L586, so it appears they used the "V" for the V-Drive Cardel, because I know the "F" is for Coronado.

1980Coronado

Mark,

Thanks...I was unaware of them starting at 50.

My Hull is CEB FV069 L586, so it appears they used the "V" for the V-Drive Cardel, because I know the "F" is for Coronado.

FA = Cardel Stern drive, FV = Cardel V-drive, FR = Coronado 21 (straight Inboard)

CEB = Century Boat Company
FV = Coronado Cardel V-Drive
069 = sequential number started with 50 (69 = 20th)
L5 = December of 1985 (mfg date)
86 = Model year 1986

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

They produced at least 2 Coronado's in 1980 based on my HIN: CEBFR051M80K......I was informed by A&A Marine that there were a few built in 1980 for some dealers that got an order together. Wish I knew exactly how many. When I saw the boat listed I asked the dealer to confirm the HIN because everything I knew said they didn't make any Coronado's in 1980. They didn't even offer them in the catalog in 80. I figured the dealer had just written the number down wrong....but it was right.

If you have issues with it I suggest you take it up with Paul Miklos or Thomas Holmes:
https://www.facebook.com/paul.miklos?ref=pb
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000006120629&sk=info

1980Coronado

Mino Erhan

Cadet

Hi All,
New to the forum and Century boats.

Just bought an "undesirable" 1982 Coronado Cardel with a 260 I/O in it. Its all perfectly original and untouched with books and manuals. Just got the brakes on the trailer fixed and then will get it ready for launch in January.
The only thing missing so far is the "factory" soft top, like skibumpmc's. It must have had one since the brackets on the rails are there including the snaps on the windshield. The frame is not there.
My question is, how can I obtain this factory "snap to the windshield" top?
Any ideas?

Mino

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Your local marine canvas shop should have little trouble making one with off the shelf bimini hardware and a custom canvas top.

skibumpmc

Cadet

I agree with Tahorover...Except the factory top was Vinyl.

FYI...If you want to have the bimini look factory, just make sure they bend, cut and place the metal poles at the "right height" and location, so it will look original....The top should lay almost flat from the windshield back. I would estimate the entire length of the top (windshield to rear) to be about five feet.

In my boat, the top extends back behind the drivers & passengers seats to "approximately" cover 2 passengers (one on either side) in the seating directly behind the driver & passenger. However, if your boat still has the "entertainment center/fridge behind the drivers seat, then, in the 1982 configuration, you would only cover one passenger on the opposite side. You should have the shop make the top to basically "just cover" the entertainment center.

The 1982 "entertainment center" looked like this...

Cardel 2.jpg

The 1986 & newer entertainment center looked like this...

Cardel 1.jpg

If you have snaps on the sides of the windshield frame, that was for a "plastic" window curtain that velcro'd to the top and snapped to the window, basically enclosing the cockpit. This would be nice on a cool or rainy day. There is/was also an "aft cover" that snaps to the bimini and extends basically almost all the way to the rear transom, essentially covering the entire cockpit of the boat. (If your boat had that, you may see some snaps around sun-pad / engine cover where this cover would snap in. I still have the aft cover with my boat, but my plasic curtains are gone.

BTW, again, my top is white / off-white vinyl, so that is what the factory used, as opposed to canvas.

Mino Erhan

Cadet

Thank you both for the good pointers.
I have not completely decided on the top configuration yet.
I am guessing that the factory top is rather low when open at windshield level, and one has to duck under to get to the cockpit area. I don't know yet.
As Skibumpmc correctly pointed out, my boat does have indeed snaps and bow brackets on the rear portion of the boat, indicating that a cover was present at one time.
With your explanation of snapping the back cover to an opened and snapped to the windshield bimini top makes sense now. I am assuming the back of the bimini top has snaps provided for back cover to snap to.

First things first, de-winterize the boat, get it to run and run correctly, then I will work on the top.
Lot of learning still to gain, but its exciting to have a new project.
BTW, the picture shown from the 1982 factory "entertainment center" is a picture of my boat.