Looking at a 1992 Coronado Cardel

MTScott

Cadet
I'm looking a a 1992 cardel, a typo had everyone thinking it was an 82, but inspection of the VIN has it as a 92. A miscommunication between the owner and the consignment sales I guess.

Anyway, I had posted in another thread asking about the engine/drive combination, because it is a Yamaha I/O, 454 - which seemed odd being that it was advertised as an 82. The 454 was not even offered in the 82 as an I/O from what I've been told, but it makes sense as a 92... I think.

The boat is in pretty decent shape. price range is 11-13k.

Is there Anything I should be concerned about with this machine? Are the "yamaha" centuries less desirable for any reason? Its a nice boat, and a nice hull design.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking at a 1992 Coronado Cardel

If you want a Coronado, get an Inboard. Maintenance and repairs will be half of what an I/O will cost you. We have a 63 and a 73 and both have been trouble free and the perfect family cruiser.

MTScott

Cadet

If you want a Coronado, get an Inboard. Maintenance and repairs will be half of what an I/O will cost you. We have a 63 and a 73 and both have been trouble free and the perfect family cruiser.

I hear ya; although, what I love about the Cardel is the seating and layout with the rear engine. I'd be plum happy if it were a V-drive, but this is what I found. There just aren't many cardels out there for sale.

Is the 92 I/O so bad it should be avoided all together? For what it is, is 11-13K a fair price range?

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

I hear ya; although, what I love about the Cardel is the seating and layout with the rear engine. I'd be plum happy if it were a V-drive, but this is what I found. There just aren't many cardels out there for sale.

Is the 92 I/O so bad it should be avoided all together? For what it is, is 11-13K a fair price range?

There are no parts for the outdrive!

here is a V-drive:
http://www.antiqueboat.com/boatdetails/10069-C22.aspx

MTScott

Cadet

Thanks, except they are asking $19,900 for that boat :eek:

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With the inboard Coronado, you'll love the rear seat....you can easily sit 4 adults across the back. There is a seat for two in front of the engine and seats for a driver and observer. You can easily seat 8 adults in a Coronado, and it's much more balanced than an I/O. I wouldn't buy a Cardel.....never even considered it. I paid $7,995 for a clean, (not perfect), 1980 Coronado last year with a new cover, and a newer (2000) custom tandem axle trailer. Transmission was rebuilt, as a condition of sale because it was leaking. Engine is the original Mercruiser 454.....bullet proof! I had to replace the drive shaft because it was bent. I've got less than $8,500 in mine, and I love it!

With an I/O there is much more maintenance due to the out drive unit. I've owned I/O's and now I have an Inboard....I'll never go back!

skibumpmc

Cadet

I own a 1986 Century Cardel 454 V-Drive and I am very familiar with Century Boats.

The I/O models are never going to be desirable to the type of people who collect these classic Century boats. People who want a classic Century will want the Direct-Drive Coronado, V-Drive Cardel, Direct Drive Resorter or V-Drive Arabian. Every I/O Cardel (or Arabian) I've ever seen sits on the market until the price eventually gets low enough where someone comes along and buys it, who probably doesn't know or care if it's a Century or not.

$19K is too high for that boat and it will not appreciate in value...It will only depreciate! If it was a "clean" V-Drive, I'd say jump on it, but for an I/O, the Average Retail (Per NADA) is under $10K...Yes, I do realize NADA is not a good guide for this type of specialty boat, but the I/O format greatly reduces or removes it from the "specialty" category, all together.

BTW, someone said he would never buy a Cardel and would only buy a Coronado, indicating the Coronado is a better boat, for some reason. The Coronado and the Cardel are the exact same hull, merely with different drive formats. They are both great desirable boats and I love them both, but the reality is that the V-Drive Cardel (1982-1988) is definitely more rare and desirable than Fiberglass Coronado (1969 to 1998). Beyond that, the V-Drive Cardel will handle rough water better than a Coronado and give you more interior space. Again, I love them both...They are real head-turners!!!

FYI, I might be selling my 86 in the spring...

HPIM0202.jpg

1980Coronado

I own a 1986 Century Cardel 454 V-Drive and I am very familiar with Century Boats.

The I/O models are never going to be desirable to the type of people who collect these classic Century boats. People who want a classic Century will want the Direct-Drive Coronado, V-Drive Cardel, Direct Drive Resorter or V-Drive Arabian. Every I/O Cardel (or Arabian) I've ever seen sits on the market until the price eventually gets low enough where someone comes along and buys it, who probably doesn't know or care if it's a Century or not.

$19K is too high for that boat and it will not appreciate in value...It will only depreciate! If it was a "clean" V-Drive, I'd say jump on it, but for an I/O, the Average Retail (Per NADA) is under $10K...Yes, I do realize NADA is not a good guide for this type of specialty boat, but the I/O format greatly reduces or removes it from the "specialty" category, all together.

BTW, someone said he would never buy a Cardel and would only buy a Coronado, indicating the Coronado is a better boat, for some reason. The Coronado and the Cardel are the exact same hull, merely with different drive formats. They are both great desirable boats and I love them both, but the reality is that the V-Drive Cardel (1982-1988) is definitely more rare and desirable than Fiberglass Coronado (1969 to 1998). Beyond that, the V-Drive Cardel will handle rough water better than a Coronado and give you more interior space. Again, I love them both...They are real head-turners!!!

FYI, I might be selling my 86 in the spring...

View attachment 123567

Yes...the hull comes out of the same mold. The difference is the weight distribution. The straight inboard Coronado is a very well balanced boat. The Cardel has the weight shifted to the rear.

1980Coronado

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks....that's what I was trying to convey. Also...those prices seem to be right in line with a straight inboard Coronado....no increased value for the V-Drive, which is what I expected.

The Cardel vs the Coronado is the same as the Arabian vs the Saber.

100_0621a.jpg

skibumpmc

Cadet

As far as values, this is an odd market to compare, but to the right buyer, like me, they will pay more for a Cardel.

BTW...Both those boats are absolutely hideous colors.

> The blue Cardel appears to be ?thrashed? and it looks like someone did a ?Rube Goldberg? on it, because Century never made a ?blue top-side? deck. Beyond that, if the seller thinks the ?floor? is bad because of ?bad plywood? used by Century he?s either sly, dumb or completely unaware that the stringers below the floor are probably shot, as well.

> That ?puke-colored? Cardel was for sale through Antique Boat America for over a year at $19K?That boat appears to be in very good shape, but in my opinion, the boat is sale-proof, unless you like a puke-colored boat.

Bottom line, if was in the market for a Cardel today, I wouldn?t bother making an offer on either one of them, because I realize what it would cost to take them apart and have them re-gel-coated, just to change the color, plus who knows what else they will need...The blue Cardel is trashed! Condition is everything and, sadly, color is a factor that most buyers will strongly consider.

skibumpmc

Cadet

> That ?puke-colored? Cardel was for sale through Antique Boat America for over a year at $19K?That boat appears to be in very good shape, but in my opinion, the boat is sale-proof, unless you like a puke-colored boat.

FYI?The Puke-Colored boat is also missing the Sink, Refrigerator & Bar Cabinet...Might not be a big deal to some, but being "neutered" alters the originality of this boat to a collector.

For this year Cardel, this is what should be behind the Driver's Seat...

Cardel.jpg

1980Coronado

FYI?The Puke-Colored boat is also missing the Sink, Refrigerator & Bar Cabinet...Might not be a big deal to some, but being "neutered" alters the originality of this boat to a collector.

For this year Cardel, this is what should be behind the Driver's Seat...

View attachment 123775

Are you sure they weren't optional?

skibumpmc

Cadet

Are you sure they weren't optional?

The Fridge, Sink & Bar set up was not an option...That's the way they spec'd them!

The 1982 thru 1985 Cardel's had this set up...

Cardel.jpg

The 1986 and on models had this set up...(Some late production 1985's might have this as well)

DSC00467.jpg

Some people removed the earlier style (82-85), because it took up too much seating. On the puke-colored boat, you can see the white factory drain for the sink on the starboard side, so there was a bar set up on that boat, at one time. The 1986 and on configuration is a much better set up, as it allows for more seating, although this configuration is not easily removable, since it is built into the back of the driver?s seat.

Beyond that, the idea of having a Refrigerator on a boat of this size, with no generator, was/is a bad idea. These Norcold Refrigerators, although small, are just like any fridge?They take a long time to cool down, so you can?t just turn it on when you go boating and expect anything to cool. There is also a freezer in the fridge! With the 1982 to 1985 models, I'm sure a lot of people figured out that the fridge was impractical and simply opted to remove it and gain seating. In that configuration, the cabinet/furniture could easily be removed and replaced with a seat.

That said, when I first bought my Cardel, I would leave the AC plugged in on the lift 24x7 and if I was going out for a long cruise, the fridge worked great because it ran of DC power. I had a good size ?house battery? with an isolator, so if I stopped somewhere for a couple of hours, the battery would die and the fridge would shut off. Since the fridge was fairly well insulated, when you resumed your boating the fridge would kick in and everything stayed cool. The problem is that I, like many boaters don?t drive around all day, especially at these gas prices, so the fridge is basically not practical if you are going to anchor or hang out at a sandbar for more than 1 hour. The fridge will kill the battery in about an hour running off DC or so with no AC or DC power the fridge becomes unusable if people open it up constantly, because you lose the cold.

I was planning on removing my fridge and reconfiguring the whole set up with a drop-in stainless ice-chest. I would drain the ice-chest through an existing drain on the side of the boat that is there for the existing sink (there is also a fairly good size water tank on-board for the sink, which I have never used). If I ever do install the ice-chest, I would still save all of the original cabinetry and fridge, just in case someone wanted it original.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

As far as values, this is an odd market to compare, but to the right buyer, like me, they will pay more for a Cardel.

BTW...Both those boats are absolutely hideous colors.

> The blue Cardel appears to be ?thrashed? and it looks like someone did a ?Rube Goldberg? on it, because Century never made a ?blue top-side? deck. Beyond that, if the seller thinks the ?floor? is bad because of ?bad plywood? used by Century he?s either sly, dumb or completely unaware that the stringers below the floor are probably shot, as well.

Bottom line, if was in the market for a Cardel today, I wouldn?t bother making an offer on either one of them, because I realize what it would cost to take them apart and have them re-gel-coated, just to change the color, plus who knows what else they will need...The blue Cardel is trashed! Condition is everything and, sadly, color is a factor that most buyers will strongly consider.

You can not be so absolute when it comes to Century's! This Coronado has purple gelcoat with a dusty rose interior. It is a special order, but there is no set standard when it comes to Centurys!

attachment.php

Attachments

• robs-coronado.jpg
    robs-coronado.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1