New To This Board. I just bought my first boat: A 1985 Century Palomino...

mitchelljessie

Recruit
I have dreamed of owning a boat for 5 years. I've spent literally dozens of hours just sitting at launch ramps and watching and learning. I seen this Century and TOTALLY fell in love with it. It's a 19.5" beauty... A Cuddy. The Mercruiser 170 4 cyl 3.7 Liter engine is very accessible and seems to be rather simple. I changed the points, distributor cap, plugs and wires... I made a gallant attempt at the impeller and didn't have any trouble until trying to get the shift cable hooked back up on the lower unit when putting it back together... (having the thing in forward gear is what everyone has told me, but that wasn't enough). It's currently at the Marina getting a good "goin' over"...

At any rate, I'm wondering if any of the salty Century owners out there have any comments on the Palomino. Was it a decent boat in its day? Is that Mercruiser engine a decent one?

I'm looking forward to meeting some peeps that are as passionate about boating as I am. I couldn't be happier to be one of your peers...

Peace.
Mitchell

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Inside 3.jpg
    Boat Inside 3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cuddy.jpg
    Boat Cuddy.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Inside 2.jpg
    Boat Inside 2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0

runstrom

Recruit
Re: New To This Board. I just bought my first boat: A 1985 Century Palomino...

Hello :) It;s been almost a year since your post..Still looking forward to hitting the water this summer??
I have an 85 palomino myself. Got it cheap.. working on restoration..I have back to back fold down seats but everything
else looks the some (besides color). It's a beautiful boat...I always said Igonna have one someday..Beautiy is always in the eye of the beholder:D I have recovered the dog house and the side rails restained the wood this winter hopefully will get the water leak taken care of this spring..(transom seal) I thnk the last owners left it uncovered all winter...Thankfullly the floor is still solid..Good to know I'm not the only one to see the beautiy in this boat:redface: enjoy

mitchelljessie

Recruit

Last season, I was out just about every weekend... The boat was wonderfully dependable. I camped on it many times and absolutely loved every second. I am going out for the first time this season this coming Saturday. I'm going to keep my Palamino for a couple of years and then move up to a cruiser... For now, the Palamino is perfect. I've had countless hours of incredible fun with my family!!!

mitchelljessie

Recruit

Season three will be underway before long... I just had the motor pulled from the boat and had the rear main seal replaced. I'm also gonna have a camper top put on the thing... Lord knows it's gotten its share of bangs and scrapes while learning. I still absolutely love this boat... Will be taking it on Lake Erie this summer. That's a trip I'm very much looking forward to... :)