Looking to buy 1997 Celebrity 200 bowrider. Is this a good boat?

lakeorion

Recruit
I am looking to add another boat to my collection, and came across a 20 ft 1997 Celebrity bowrider. It has a 5.7L fuel injected engine and about 310 hours, stainless steel prop, bimini top, and some other bells and whistles.

Boat is is very good condition, and the price seems right, actually a little low, based on NADA. That actually is a little red flag for me. Private sale, not a dealer.

My biggest question is the quality of the boat's construction, durability, and ability to get parts for the engine and boat in general.

I had read somewhere there were some issues with hull fragility and rot in some Celebrity's.

It looks like a great boat. Any thoughts on top end speed and handling. We are looking to haul tubers and do a little skiing. This would be our second boat, as we also have a 24' Larson small cruiser.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! We are looking to pull the trigger on this so we can get a few weeks out of the boat before Michigan winter hits us.

Thx in advance

Shattered Glass

Recruit
Re: Looking to buy 1997 Celebrity 200 bowrider. Is this a good boat?

I own that exact same boat. I love it. It has plenty of power (i have pulled multiple tubes at the same time with no problems). I has plenty of space for people to sit and not be tripping over each other. the only problem i have came across is the fact they aren't being made any more so the little trim pieces that might break can't be found but anything you neet to keep her running is easily found at any boat shop. the only structural problem i have noticed is the wood piece on the stern side of the ski locker was rotting (i believe because they carpeted it and the carpet would just hold the water in place rather then let it drain into the bilge). All in all we love the boat and plan to have it for many years.

Oh yeah I am in Utah at about 6500' in elevation running a 19P prop i ran 52 mph @ 4700 rpm on slightly choppy water. on a 21P prop i was around 49 mph @ 4600.

Now it holds alot of fuel about 32 gallons in the rear so with a full tank and max weight capacity I have had difficulty getting her to pop out of the hole and get on plane while pulling tubers with my 21P prop but my 19P works much better. to compensate i would throw the biggest people in the bow till she planes and im at a good cruising speed and then they would move to the back.

zachb91

Cadet
Re: Looking to buy 1997 Celebrity 200 bowrider. Is this a good boat?

i own the exact same boat but im installin a mild built 350 in mine.. with stock motor and me and a girl and a cooler i had mine up to 55 at 4:30 in the morning with thru hull open.. in my opin there good boats we had a 89 imperial and this has so much more room than are 24 foot imperial did