cathedral thunderbird boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

Seaman, i too have a 65' 17ft thunderbird cath. Hull. What i need to know is,where do i find info. On how many were built and how many are left.mine is in exel. Condition and im looking for as much info as i can on this hull. Hope you or some one can help me. Thanks.

Welcome to Iboats. Please post some pics, we love them. The cathedral hulls are great boats. I have a 17' Thunderbird Seminole. There is some good info at the fiberglassics website for these older boats.

69thunderbird

Recruit

Your boat looks like my '69 19' Commanche minus the windshield. How is your restoration coming?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I should come here in more often .... I think your boat is a Commanche. The Cheyene has a shorter cuddy and a longer cockpit. Look at the length of the cuddy structure on yours, compared to mine (above) - they look the same.

???

scallywag61

Cadet

Here are some recent pics of the tear down. I do believe it is a Comanche. the entire deck had to be removed because of severe rot in the wood. Next up, removing the entire top

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 2
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I had the same problem with mine, except my situation was caused by termites. Both my stringers and transom are OK, because they are completely encased in FG.

BTW, were you inner stringers attached to your billge well? Mine weren't, but I've had people tell me that's normal.

???

karkeskam

Recruit

I found a cathedral thunderbird boat for sale today,has anyone ever heard of them?

How much are they asking for yours out of curiosity? I am checking on e out tomorrow. 1972 cathedral with 90hp mercury original trailer, new tires, lots of basics(oars,life jackets,fish finder,original cover) etc. $1500. Am I getting ripped off or good deal? My research thinks good deal with what I know so far. Anybody help? Thanks

david.barnick

Recruit

Fellow Thunderbird owners,
I'm new to boating and just purchased what I believe to be a 1966 Thunderbird Cheyenne, but i'm not sure. My serial # is CY66521. I have yet to find any in depth information about the boat, and I don't really think the guy I bought it from knew what it was for sure. Can anyone help? Thanks.

-Dave

maglite4cell

Recruit

Thunderbird Owners Hello!

I was given a Thunderbird '67 Commanche or what I believe it to be. It seems to be in great condition for how old it was and are underway on our project. I have attached some pictures to show you the beginning of the project. I currently need your assistance in finding a windshield for this boat. The starboard side of the boats windshield was very foggy, and I tried to clean it up but it ended up breaking on me. As you can see in the picture it was a curved windshield. The engine on it is a 70HP Johnson that started up after a couple pulls with a string since the battery was dead. Any help with the windshield would be much appriciated :).

Attachments

• DSCN2616.jpg
    DSCN2616.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2617.jpg
    DSCN2617.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2618.jpg
    DSCN2618.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2619.jpg
    DSCN2619.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1

Captainsalp

Cadet

I have a 72 Comanche, I am planing the same restoration project for this fall. I was exited to see that your stringers appear to be in great shape and that they are encapsulated in fiberglass. I hope my superstructure looks as good as yours. How was the deck attatched to the stringers? Was the foam a pain to remove? Do you have any more pics?

Captainsalp

Cadet

I have a 19 foot 72 Comanche, I am planing the same restoration project for this fall. I can't wait to get started. I was exited to see that your stringers appear to be in great shape and that they are encapsulated in fiberglass. I hope my superstructure looks as good as yours. How was the deck attatched to the stringers? Was the foam a pain to remove? Do you have any more pics?

dover

Recruit

Hi Thunderbird Boat Owners;

New to forum but have been a marine service professional for 40 years. Since I was a young teen working the fuel docks in the late 60's I have loved the Thunderbird cathedrals.

Well, anyway I picked up a 68 Comanche (just what I wanted) with 120 Mercruiser power this spring. It has generally escaped the ravages of time and owner neglect even though the previous owner was an expert cobbler. It did indicate bad wood in the stbd side transom and the cabin top where the windshield mounts. Otherwise, all the other wood is in excellent condition. I do have a few mechanical issues to resolve but they will be addressed when the engine is pulled for the transom work.

Thanks to all for your project boat inputs. Thanks to scallawag61 and maglite4cell for the pics. It was great to see the stringer placement as I begin the transom phase of my project.

Steve

Attachments

• web size.jpg
    web size.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1

dontheboatguy

Recruit

Just in case anyone is still watching this thread, I just bought a 19' Cheyenne. It needs a lot of work but I already have found out that it actually looks quite a bit worse than it is.

If any of you guys want to trade info, please feel free to PM me. I'll be checking the new forum in a minute too.

DSC_1406R600copy.jpg

DSC_1405R600.jpg

PS: Oops, I see that I am already here ... I found this thread while doing a google search trying to find info on the boat.

PS: I found out awhile ago that my boat is actually a Commanche, not a Cheyenne. They are very similar in appearance, but the Commanche has a longer cuddy and a shorter cockpit.
don the boatguy Ijust bought a thuderbird trihull it is 18ft 3in been sitting for 6yrs has a125 johnson that will turn by hand at flywheel needs lots of tlc it looks like yours Iam new here just want to neet pepole my wife told me 6 boats are to many ? mabey

toddingalls

Cadet

I think I have a 1971 Comanche. Can anyone confirm? I am planning on going to work on this thing soon. Would LOVE to know what I am working on.

20110116172112-1.jpg

20110116172128-1.jpg

20110130124327.jpg

20110130124418.jpg

20110130125330.jpg

20110130125612-1.jpg

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice project. I am retoring my Thunderbird Seminole now. These are great boats, built like a tank. Keep us posted with your progress.

troutbagger

Recruit

Any ideas on my boat? I have many times thought about getting rid of it but, it is such a champ and great for fishing.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1

instantheet

Cadet

yes in deed...i have a 1968 tri hull cathedral thunderbird boat........love to see some pic...can u post any.....i can do the same.

skinny-dipper

Recruit

I have a 68' Thunderbird Tr-Hull "Sioux" 16.5' ---AWESOME---I run a 78' Merc o/b 140hp str6, another Awesome, TOWER of POWER, and as you know, Nothin else has the "unique" sound as your flying across the water...

to ALL,

i've been reading this thread (as well as some others about classic T-birds) & have to admit that i'm downright envious! = of all the big cathedrals, the Thunderbird is "THE REAL DEAL".
(i won't bore everyone with my "long sad story" about having found a NICE '67 Cheyenne w/dead straight 6 Mercruiser to restore/rebuild to "live bait/drift fish" out of & then lost it. = wasn't fun.)

i'm in SATX & have never seen another decent one since, in even relatively close driving distance!

yours, PG

Status
Not open for further replies.