• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

cathedral thunderbird boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

Hi all,

My uncle gave me his 1970 Thunderbird Seminole with Chrysler 70hp outboard. Problem is, the outboard has seized and I'm looking to replace it. The placard on the boat says 160hp max, and I'm fine with abiding by it.

My question is, does anyone know what weight a healthy transom on this boat is capable of supporting? I'm looking at a 1990 150hp Mercury Black Max motor that weighs about 375, as well as '78 140HP Johnson and I'd hate for the boat's bow to rise out of the water at a stop due to the weight in the rear, or even worse, snap the transom.

I think my current motor weighs around 275lbs or so.

Thanks!

Comment

I have a Thunderbird Seminole (17') with a 1978 175 HP Mercury Black Max on it. It works fine, have had no problems. I think that mine is a 69 model, been trying to verify it. Would you mind giving me your Seminole serial number. My serial no. is SE96440. I believe that the 96 represents 69 based on other numbers that I have found. My ID plate also states 160 HP.

Comment

Fellas I got a 1965 Thunderbird 18"3" Boat the other day looks like there's water between the vfiberglass floor and the hull but the floor id rigid though the boat weighs 1800 lbs, How much should it weigh dry-like when it was new I looked but can't fine anything on it and how do I get the water out?
        I sure do need some good advice here guys thank You, Sincerely Danny.

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Boat Danny View Post
          Fellas I got a 1965 Thunderbird 18"3" Boat the other day looks like there's water between the vfiberglass floor and the hull but the floor id rigid though the boat weighs 1800 lbs, How much should it weigh dry-like when it was new I looked but can't fine anything on it and how do I get the water out?
          I sure do need some good advice here guys thank You, Sincerely Danny.
          If yours is outboard powered check the sump at the inside of the the transom. There are drain holes from the underdeck area and a hole through the transom for drainage. The dry weight of mine (17.5') is about 1850 pounds plus the engine and equipment. Hope that this helps.

Comment

Seaman, i too have a 65' 17ft thunderbird cath. Hull. What i need to know is,where do i find info. On how many were built and how many are left.mine is in exel. Condition and im looking for as much info as i can on this hull. Hope you or some one can help me. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by madidog View Post
              Seaman, i too have a 65' 17ft thunderbird cath. Hull. What i need to know is,where do i find info. On how many were built and how many are left.mine is in exel. Condition and im looking for as much info as i can on this hull. Hope you or some one can help me. Thanks.
              Welcome to Iboats. Please post some pics, we love them. The cathedral hulls are great boats. I have a 17' Thunderbird Seminole. There is some good info at the fiberglassics website for these older boats.

Comment

Your boat looks like my '69 19' Commanche minus the windshield. How is your restoration coming?

Comment

I should come here in more often .... I think your boat is a Commanche. The Cheyene has a shorter cuddy and a longer cockpit. Look at the length of the cuddy structure on yours, compared to mine (above) - they look the same.

Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

Here are some recent pics of the tear down. I do believe it is a Comanche. the entire deck had to be removed because of severe rot in the wood. Next up, removing the entire top
                    Attached Files

Comment

I had the same problem with mine, except my situation was caused by termites. Both my stringers and transom are OK, because they are completely encased in FG.

BTW, were you inner stringers attached to your billge well? Mine weren't, but I've had people tell me that's normal.

Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

Originally posted by 1sttimeowner View Post
                        I found a cathedral thunderbird boat for sale today,has anyone ever heard of them?
                        How much are they asking for yours out of curiosity? I am checking on e out tomorrow. 1972 cathedral with 90hp mercury original trailer, new tires, lots of basics(oars,life jackets,fish finder,original cover) etc. $1500. Am I getting ripped off or good deal? My research thinks good deal with what I know so far. Anybody help? Thanks

Comment

Fellow Thunderbird owners,
                          I'm new to boating and just purchased what I believe to be a 1966 Thunderbird Cheyenne, but i'm not sure. My serial # is CY66521. I have yet to find any in depth information about the boat, and I don't really think the guy I bought it from knew what it was for sure. Can anyone help? Thanks.

-Dave

Comment

Thunderbird Owners Hello!

I was given a Thunderbird '67 Commanche or what I believe it to be. It seems to be in great condition for how old it was and are underway on our project. I have attached some pictures to show you the beginning of the project. I currently need your assistance in finding a windshield for this boat. The starboard side of the boats windshield was very foggy, and I tried to clean it up but it ended up breaking on me. As you can see in the picture it was a curved windshield. The engine on it is a 70HP Johnson that started up after a couple pulls with a string since the battery was dead. Any help with the windshield would be much appriciated .
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have a 72 Comanche, I am planing the same restoration project for this fall. I was exited to see that your stringers appear to be in great shape and that they are encapsulated in fiberglass. I hope my superstructure looks as good as yours. How was the deck attatched to the stringers? Was the foam a pain to remove? Do you have any more pics?

Comment

I have a 19 foot 72 Comanche, I am planing the same restoration project for this fall. I can't wait to get started. I was exited to see that your stringers appear to be in great shape and that they are encapsulated in fiberglass. I hope my superstructure looks as good as yours. How was the deck attatched to the stringers? Was the foam a pain to remove? Do you have any more pics?

Comment

Working...
                                X