• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cathedral thunderbird boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cathedral thunderbird boat

I found a cathedral thunderbird boat for sale today,has anyone ever heard of them?

Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

My first boat 1969 Thunderbird Comanche. It's 18' 7" has 200hp Mercruiser straight 6. Still have it. Do you know the old TV show Flipper? The boat used on that program was a 23 footer.

Comment

We have six of them in my family so I have some experience with them. They are great boats. They are built very solid and heavy. They are very stable on the water, but pound a bit in the chop. If you are looking for a good fishing boat, you won't be disappointed. They are some of the best.

Comment

my first boat was a 1969 tri hull thunderbird with a 115 chrysler out board the original owner had a pic of it pulling 6 skiers
        anybody up for a three hour tour ????

Comment

i just bought one yesterday for 500 buck from a lean yard. i was looking for info and stumble upon this post. im new to boating all i know it a Thunderbird with a trihull design. upon looking it up it might be a Thunderbird Comanche but i cant find picture anywhere. all i know is it a i/o mercruiser stright six i don't even know the horsepower in it can you guy help

Comment

I picked up a 1972 the other day with a Merc in line 6

mine is an Apache = 19 feet

find out the length and you can figure out which model.

Comment

I have a 69 17' Thunderbird seminole 4cyl. merc120. My friend bought it brand new in 1969 sold it to another friend who sold it to me. I have alot of fishing and ski time in this boat.

Comment

It now has it's own forum.

"JUST KEEP ON, KEEPING ON"
                "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Comment

Just in case anyone is still watching this thread, I just bought a 19' Cheyenne. It needs a lot of work but I already have found out that it actually looks quite a bit worse than it is.

If any of you guys want to trade info, please feel free to PM me. I'll be checking the new forum in a minute too.

PS: Oops, I see that I am already here ... I found this thread while doing a google search trying to find info on the boat.

PS: I found out awhile ago that my boat is actually a Commanche, not a Cheyenne. They are very similar in appearance, but the Commanche has a longer cuddy and a shorter cockpit.
                  Last edited by jay_merrill; May 27th, 2009, 04:01 AM. Reason: Corrected Info on Boat Model
                  Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

man it need alot of work but great boat.
                    '

Comment

Does anybody know how the seats were originally arranged (what type and placement) in a 1969 Thunderbird cathedral hull??
                      I picked one up that's in reasonable shape, but it's missing the seats.
                      Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                      m/v "April Fool"
                      1978 Cruisers, Inc. Mackinac
                      GM/OMC 305
                      OMC 800 Outdrive

Comment

I inherited my dads '69 Comanche, which he bought new. Great boat. They do pound a bit in chop. The original seats were back to back fold outs. They were positioned on either side of the cockpit. In the case of the Comanche, next to the saddle tanks. Just leave enough room to stand at the helm comfortably for fore-aft placement. And, about 2 inches from the scuppers. Over the years we have tried different configutations of seats. Currently, we have 2 swivel seats up front. This leaves more room fishing. When it's a pleasure boat, we break out the deck chairs and add them as needed.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Im looking for any info about a boat I just purchased, the title claims its a 1959 thunderbird... It seems very solid for its age and will look great once I refinish it. There is no outboard and all the switches and wiring needs replaced, cosmetically the finish is all spiderwebbed with cracks the windshield is missing but the hull feels,sounds solid from front to back. I measure 19 ft from bow to stern without a motor. It has molded cockpit seats and an enclosed bow, the coolest thing I think are the headlights recessed in the center bow. Ill try to get some pics on soon

thanks

Jon

After looking at other peoples pics my boat doesnt look like anyone elses does, Mine doesnt have the rail around the bow and mine has molded seats. Ive also noticed the lines on mine seem sharper where others seem more rounded...wish someone would look at my pic link and tell me what I have.
                          Last edited by aknar1999; October 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Help me Identify this boat. Is it a Comanche or a Cheyenne? Where can I get parts (windshield parts) for it? I got it for free and want it ready by summer '10
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is my first attemp at posting pics of my boat.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...6&id=832786391

Ok its easier to link the pics from my facebook page, sorry...

Comment

Working...
                              X