1976 Carver Santa Cruz Propane Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

At_last

Recruit
Hi All-

I recently acquired a 76 Carver Santa Cruz 28, but for the life of me, I can't seem to locate where the propane tank is stored on her for the galley stove. There's a copper tube fed into the supply of the stove, but I can't see it running fore or aft. Typically, these have a 3 gl bottle - my thought would have been on the starboard side of the engine compartment, but I am not seeing a line or regulator. Any tips would be appreciated!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
usually the propane tanks are stored in an outside hatch with a vent to atmosphere at the bottom of the well.

Call tech support Carver Yachts at +1-920-822-3214 or +1-800-231-8978

the brochures that Joe posted have the phone number prior to the split up of the 414 area code back in the late 80's

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and welcome to the forum. by your screen name you've been wanting a boat (or a big one) and 'at last' you got it?

At_last

Recruit
Thanks Joe. I've had my share of boats around, the largest being 125'. The name of my latest acquisition is At Last. She's a sweet little Carver that is just about the right size for my family, and not too crazy for slip fees. I'm still learning the nuances of her though. :) carver.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
only 125'? man up and get a real boat....:D

We downsized from a 34' 13' beam to the one below and my favorite boat so far.

At_last

Recruit
I know. I needed something with a little less fuel burn. :) I had a Bayliner 34' Avanti and with the twin 454's it would end up being a $500 run to go get pizza. The Santa Cruz was in great shape - maintained by an older couple. I'm chasing a few gremlins, but I've fared much worse. :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Really???? A 34' BayHole Avanti? possibly an '89? something like this:

with risers like this on twin US Marine 454's?

thats what we just sold last fall. .8 mpg - a weekend trip to the dam and back (28 mile round trip) was a pricey little thing. I get about 3 now.

At_last

Recruit
That's it! Mine was an 87' that was left for dead. Resurrected it and ended up selling her off. Very happy with my little rig now. A 6 hour cruise upstream burned about 1/4 tank. I can live with that. :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Actually ours WAS an 87 as well. The previous boat was an 89. Now i'm in a 79 - as I get older so do my boats....

Yeah loved ours, wouldn't trade the time with it but sure am happy now, especially having one back on a trailer. Run all day on plane, actually getting somewhere, for the same as a trip to our weekend cove used to be.

Looked over your specs, interesting you show 1400 lbs heavier than ours and of course larger but comes with all the same power options. Performance data with the 260 show top ends at 37 mph. Not bad. Mine shows 43 top end but I only get 37. Not sure what prop I have.

Anyway, nice boat and enjoy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.