Carver boat tranny problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirocco 2

Recruit
Hello,
I have a carver with straight drive 5.7 crusader engines 1992 purchased it the same day problem started.
When the boat is at idle in gear there is a noise coming from the transmission that goes away above 1100 rpm.
Sound like the pump in tranny can't keep clutch .
The oil is nice and red in the transmission smells fine
I am trying to get the boat home I have another 120 miles to go will I do more damage to the tranny if I drive it .
Thanks

Jimmy30379

Recruit
Re: Carver boat tranny problem

I have just purchased a 1999 Carver 404 that had the same transmission rumbling problems at low RPMs

My Mechanical inspector tells me this is normal on Carvers, but if the rumbling does not go away when you increase RPMs, then you have an issue.

I hope this helps.

-Jimmy

Hello,
I have a carver with straight drive 5.7 crusader engines 1992 purchased it the same day problem started.
When the boat is at idle in gear there is a noise coming from the transmission that goes away above 1100 rpm.
Sound like the pump in tranny can't keep clutch .
The oil is nice and red in the transmission smells fine
I am trying to get the boat home I have another 120 miles to go will I do more damage to the tranny if I drive it .
Thanks

Sirocco 2

Recruit
Re: Carver boat tranny problem

Up date,
Tranny needed some rebuild pump was not putting out enough pressure at low or high rpm.
Labour costed more than the repair to the tranny but its working now.
But guessvWhat, choke is giving me a problem now by metal spring type will replace and see what happens.
I new u should have paid a little more for fuel injection.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.