Hull "slapping" noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob'n around

Recruit
Hello, we recently purchased a Carver 530 Voyager and love the boat. However, when we are at anchor or mooring for the night, the the water "slapping" the hull is very loud and bothersome, which makes it difficult to sleep. I assume it is the water hitting the hard chines of the hull. Does anyone know if there is a product on the market to eliminate or minimize this affect...or any suggestions?
Thank you in advance, Bob

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hull "slapping" noise

That sound usually puts me to sleep. I don't think you're going to eliminate it.

sasto

Captain

That sound usually puts me to sleep. I don't think you're going to eliminate it.

Yup....Lapping does that to me too, MolsonCanadian. Being a livaboard for several years I have never heard of a way to emiminate this effect. As a Captain of a Viking Sportfish we had a little problem inherit of the design. It sounded like prop cavitation. Turned out to be coming from the hull just above the props, running at cruise speed or above. During a haulout I screwed and glued to the hull a rubber pad over each prop. Solved my annoying problem.

Do you have access to the foreward chines (from the interior) where they meet the waterline and proceed foreward above the waterline. Maybe in the anchor locker and below the foreward bunk? Something may be attached there to deaden the sound.

Good Luck!

hottoddie

Seaman Apprentice

Only cure I know of. Anchor by the stern. :lalala:

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No way to completely eliminate it, but I've had some luck reducing it on a couple of boats:

On my 30' Century I was able to cut some white styrofoam to fit the spaces above the chines where the water was "banging" against them. Port side was behind the fridge, starboard was under the head. Took a little work, and again didn't eliminate it but it did cut down on it enough so that it didn't keep me awake at night.

On my current boat (26' sport boat) I was able to easily get to the space, and used a few small pieces of sound mat (like the car stereo guys use). Again, didn't completely eliminate the noise but at least I was able to take my afternoon nap.

There's lots of ways of working the problem; first thing would be to gain access to the area the noise is coming from. Once you're in there am sure you can find some creative ways to cut down on the noise. It's just like muffling a bass drum by throwing a pillow in there.

Good luck, and congrats on the new Carver! Great boats...you'll love her once you can get a good night's sleep. ;)

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I've read that tying some floating pool noodles along the hull at the forward chines will minimize wave slap at anchor.
Might be worth a try, and it's cheap!
Never tried it because that sound doesn't usually bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.