1981 Carver Mariner 33' Needs Holding Tank

baysailerbill

Recruit
I just purchased a 1981 Carver Mariner 33' with no waist holding tank. The head has a Port-A-Potty with a 9 gallon holding tank built in. We are going to be living aboard the boat during the summer months and this system just won't do. I would love to install an electric head with a good sized holding tank.

Has anyone installed a holding tank in a 33' Mariner? Does anyone have a holding tank on there boat now? If so, where is it mounted and/or located on the boat? What size is it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BILL

Attachments

• Carver_33_sideshot.JPG
    Carver_33_sideshot.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1981 Carver Mariner 33' Needs Holding Tank

Bill-
First, welcome to iboats! :D

I don't have a 33 Mariner but my 34 Silverton had a similar problem.
Mine originally came with an oversized portapottie (6 gallon).
The previous owner opened the bilge compartments and measured the largest space. He found a similar-sized poly tank (20 gallon) and installed it below the floor. He had to cut some of the floor framing but it was all replaced and reinforced.
He installed a 3-way valve for the black water (tank-mascerator-pumpout), rigged up a new SeaEra electric head, then ran all the lines and wiring.
The end result is very nice. Pumpouts are easy and the tank has enough capacity for 4 people for a week. The electric head has been maintenance-free for the past 5 years and requires NO pumping- just push a button!

weasel5

Recruit

i have a 81 carver mariner 33'. my toilet has a small waste tank built in which goes to a hand driven transfer pump located under the hatch in front of the refrigerator, which pumps into the main holding tank which is under the floor in the v-berth. you can see the end of it from that same hatch. the deck fitting is on the starboard side, midship. hope this helps.

baysailerbill

Recruit

Thanks for your help everyone.

I was looking at the boat yesterday and I think putting the holding tank under the V-berth is the way to go. The pumpout nozzle is already mounted on the starboard side and running a new hose to it should not be a problem. I am going to install an electric head. This winter I will pull up the floor and measure the space so I can fit in the largest tank possible.

Thanks again,
BILL