Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

walter v drive rattling

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walter v drive rattling

My walter v drives are rattling at 900 rpms and lower when in gear. It stops when the rpms hit close to 1000+. Any ideas and should I keep using the boat or is this something that is going to get exponentially worse? THx

Re: walter v drive rattling

I have an 88' Carver Voyager and I just read in the manual that there is an acceptable level of rattle in the driveline at low RPM's and if you idle up a bit it should go away. If not then the v-drive and engine may need reallignment. There is also a u-joint that connect the motor to the v-drives and this maybe bad as well if grease was never or seldom used.
    1988 28' Carver Voyager

Ahh Buck too much!!

Comment

rattling is normal on walter v drives on low rpms.i had a 1989 santego for 10 years.if its that annoying,you can just increase the idle speed.thats what i did.

Comment

I had the same problem and it went away when the engens were timed.

Comment

While it may not always exist, a rattle is considered normal at lower rpm's. Any inconsistent power can cause this (ie. bad tune). Be sure you have plenty of fresh oil in the drive and proceed. Working on you engine tune would probably reduce or eliminate the rattle.

Comment

Working...
          X