Carver owners....

Status
Not open for further replies.

walleyehed

Admiral
Surely we have a few on the forum that has one of these...they are all over Texoma, and range from 25 to who knows how huge.........

meat76head

Cadet
Re: Carver owners....

1978 Carver 2276 Camper here. Merc 898 (currently waiting for some TLC after overheating in August).

Lukie

Cadet

To Carver Riviera:<br /><br />We just put a deposit down on a 1982 Carver Mariner. I read the previous posts about what to look for but is there anything else you can add. We are getting it surveyed in March. By the way our Marina is in Edgewater, MD also. Maybe we'll see you out there some time.

28Riviera

Cadet

Sorry, I just noticed this message. <br /><br />Most of the issues we have encountered are just age issues (lost a starter motor and one bilge pump quit working) or that we want to improve the boat. We had the luch of having cockpit upholstery that was one-week old when we first saw the boat, but I have a friend with a 1985 Montego that needs now to replace his.<br /><br />One thing to watch is leakage around the ports. Not a hard fix (just remove all the bolts, recaulk, and rebolt), but it is somewhat time consuming and it is just nice to know if it needs to be done. I need to do the 6 windows in my rear cabin before we splash in April since most of them leak a little bit. I assume that the Mariner's might have similar issues.<br /><br />BTW, we are at Little Island Marina in Ramsey Lake.

Lukie

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I will defineately keep these items on my watch list. We will be going to survey the boat this Friday. I hope most things will be in good shape. It is only natural that there will be a few issues I think. On a visual inspection of the windows they showed no signs of leakage.<br />I saw a picture of your type of boat, sure is a beauty. Well anyway thanks for your input.<br /> <br />We are out of South River Marina.

Trac 2

Recruit

New to the forum and nice to find a spot for Carver owners to hang out.<br />1988 Carver 3607 here

Carverone

Recruit

Hey, just signed up. My ride is a Carver 310 Express. One nice ride for a 95'

mrcorless

Recruit

1976 Carver Santa Cruz 28 ft with leaky windows looking to replace them any ideas? Newport, Oregon

Lukie

Cadet

Mrcorless:<br />There is a previous post about that. Read the post from 28 Riviera. I am sure they could give you some pointers on doing it.

1989 Carver Mid Cabin here........Love the boat<br />Would like bigger, but the boss(wife) says NO..<br />Oh well...we win some and we lose some.....I lost this one

Originally posted by Trac 2:<br /> New to the forum and nice to find a spot for Carver owners to hang out.<br />1988 Carver 3607 here
I see your from G Bay..I was up in that country 2 years ago and am planning on going back near there this summer.Lovely area...

Trac 2

Recruit

Georgian Bay is a beautiful area. Some say it's the best F.W. boating in the world. Not too sure about that statement but it sure seems like I've gone to heaven when I'm out there.<br /> Former B.E. Member, where are you planning to be this summer and when? We spend every weekend up there on anchor. Maybe we could connect.

Hello,<br /><br />We've got a 1986 26' Carver Santa Cruz.....<br /><br />Been lurking around the forums for a while and thought I would chime in and say Hello!!!

tabhauser

Recruit

Need best rpm for running my 1994 carver aft cabin on 454's for best fuel consumption.

Tab

rmmpe

Petty Officer 1st Class

New to forum, not new to boating.
1985 Riviera here.

This is a bit longer than I like but should provide you with some meaningful information, if you're not already familiar with it.

Generally, if you're going for best economy (MPG), running at hull speed is best.

Hull speed (Knots):
Sq. root of waterline length (LWL) multiplied by 1.3.
Example, a 28' LOA boat having a waterline length of 25' is sq. root of 25 (5) multiplied by 1.3 = 6.5 Knots.

Knots to MPH = Knots X 1.15, in this case, 6.5 X 1.15 = 7.48 MPH.

OR:
Sq. root of LWL X 1.495 = 7.48 MPH

Other than that, running in the "Sweet-spot" (usually 3,000 to 3,400 RPM) will provide the best compromise between consumption and time.

Although you didn't mention the length or weight of your Carver, more to your point:

My 1988 34' Sea Ray Sedan with twin 454 350HP Mercruisers ran 22 Knots (25.3 MPH) at 3200 RPM burning 20 GPH, which equates to 1.1 NM/gallon (approx. 1.27 MPG).

Considering the Sea Ray has prop-pockets, which, when going ahead (it handled terribly when going astern), lends to better efficiency than a boat without them, your Carver with twin 454s will be something less that that (I'd guess 80%).

Therefore, extrapolating from known data and applying it against the unknown but assumed, I suspect your Carver could get around .9 to 1 MPG, which is really not too bad.

Hope this helps.

If you want, contact me privately.

Status
Not open for further replies.