Carver 3607 1982

bradley39482

Cadet
i have recently purchased a 3607, the throttle cables are kinda stiff when throttling up, where can i lubricate the cables, to loosen them up a little.
also i have read in the owners manual that the hydraulic pump for steering needs to be bleed of air every now and then, where can i check this?

thanks for any advice
kindest regards
brad

alldodge

Staff member
i have recently purchased a 3607, the throttle cables are kinda stiff when throttling up, where can i lubricate the cables, to loosen them up a little.
Other then lubing the shift plate and control handle assembly it would be a fairly involved task. In most cases it doesn't work if it is inside the cable. Follow the cables the best you can and see if there is a place where they are in a bind or rubbing against something.

also i have read in the owners manual that the hydraulic pump for steering needs to be bleed of air every now and then, where can i check this?

thanks for any advice
kindest regards
brad
Hydraulic steering does not need to be bleed unless your having steering issues. Are you having problems?

bradley39482

Cadet
no, not when i took her out before buying, nothing major, just seemed a little sticky, like when when turning to stbd or port, it was a little hard, shouldn't it be a smooth turn instead of a stiff wheel, not saying it was hard to turn but not smooth, ive worked on many tractor hydraulics and steering problems on tractors with hydraulic steering and anytime the line got air in it it would be sticky, not saying this is what a boat should do, in the owners manual, it says steering hydraulic would be a little tacky, but this was due to the pushing and pulling of hydraulic fluid in the system. just wondering, and wanting to know if im being over paranoid!

bradley39482

Cadet
thank you very much AllDodge, i really appreciate it, this is just what i needed to know. i have dual helm stations. sorry for all the questions, but im learning so bear with me if you don't mind. the water system, in the book it says once water tanks are full, to open all faucets if water is pulsating form shower heads and sinks, this allows air to purge from pump, once water is flowing steady, shut faucets off and pump should hold pressure. while i was inspecting boat, the water pulsated from shower head, has anyone experienced this, and is the manual correct? i know if the shower keeps pulsating water, there could be a pump issue not holding pressure.

bradley39482

Cadet
i also checked out your thread on sea water pumps, Good thread, ill check that as well. i have 2 inboard 350 chevy crusaders, recon they have those type sea water fuel pumps?

bradley39482

Cadet
i have read where i have hynautic steering on my boat, anybody know how this works? and how to check fluid levels?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Our hynautics had hydraulic fluid tank that needed 20 lbs air pressure as well. On our bayliner it was in the engine room at the transom. Do your helms have the cap on them? Ours did not and there was a specific process to bleed. Pm me an email and ill send the manual i have if you need it.

alldodge

Staff member
water pulsated from shower head

If its short pulses then I think you still have some air in the lines or the accumulator. I open one faucet at a time starting with the highest and farthest away. If all air is out and the pump does not stop, and your getting quick pulses, check your accumulator may need to be replaced

If the water pressure goes up for a bit then slowly goes down and then back up, this would be normal. It's caused by the accumulator building and releasing pressure.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i replaced our and thought bigger was better turns out I was oversized. The pressure would build up to the point it thought the faucet was shut off then back on. That pump went bad for unknown reasons so I sized appropriately (found details on the internet somewhere) and new one kept steady

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Which drives? If Volvo's, may want to lube the tiller arm pins as they are zinc plated steel. The tiller arms are cast iron. They tend to sieze after a while of non use and cause stiff steering with a stick-slip motion

RGrew176

Commander
Looks like you bought the big sister to the boat I am in the process of buying. I am trying to complete the purchase of a 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin. It is a nice boat with a lot of room for a 30 footer. I go for the 2nd sea trial next Wednesday and if all goes will will finish the survey by having the boat pulled for the hull survey.

Good luck with your 3607.

bradley39482

Cadet
does anybody have any prints on the sounding horns for the carver 3607? tried them out and had to turn horn on at bottom helm to sound from fly bridge. they are electric, but ill take what ever advise i can get. prints are hard to come by!

RedNeck, i found the owners book on the hynautic steering, also see where the throttle and transmission sticks might be hyaunic. appreciate the help!

good luck with your boat as well RGrew, hope it all comes out good!

Last edited:

bradley39482

Cadet
got Survey back, nothing major except a few things, my engine stbd oil cooler is leaking a little oil at bleed screw, is this a difficult repair?

alldodge

Staff member
got Survey back, nothing major except a few things, my engine stbd oil cooler is leaking a little oil at bleed screw, is this a difficult repair?

Haven't seen an oil cooler with a bleed screw. There is a plug in it to drain water out of it for winterization. Not saying yours doesn't have one, just have not seen one. Now if the oil is coming out or the water drain plug then the cooler would have a hole in it. Got a pic?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is either a drain plug or a small pencil zinc in 99% of the oil coolers that I have ever worked on

bradley39482

Cadet
yea its a drain plug for the cooler, leaking a little oil, i guess the tube inside cooler is leaking oil, just hope water is not in oil pan. they are 190 a piece on this site, so i guess ill have to order one, got a long journey down to gulf. seems to be an easy install, i guess i should do both motors, cant get pic to up load.

alldodge

Staff member
For pics, select the icon (Image) which looks like "two mountains and the sun". Then select the up load. If pic is to large (1M) then it won't take it. You just wait for the upload link to vanish.