1979 Boston Whaler 15--good crabber for 3 persons?

alumanaut

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I need a stable crabbing boat for 3 persons (person weight totalling 600 lbs), plus the 3 or 4 baskets. I'm crabbing in a PNW estuary that I only have to go about a quarter of a mile to half a mile from dock to drop the baskets. Not much chop. The one I have found is pretty pristine. Stand on the gunwales platform sought rather than big water capacity.

Would a 1979 Boston Whaler 15 footer with a 1979 3 cylinder 70hp Merc be adequate?

I have heard two takes about the boat.

Take One: The 15s were good for one or two persons, not 3, and were pretty tippy side to side for crabbing despite the reverse shines, because they were relatively narrow. Get a 16/17 foot Whaler.

Take Two: The 15s were great little boats that would be perfectly good for the sort of crabbing I'm talking about.

Also, what hp rating for a contemporary 4-stroke would I need to equal a 1979 70hp 2-stroke Merc?

I've heard two takes.

Take One: You can drop down 10-20 hp in today's engines and get the same performance.

Take Two: Today's 4-strokes are heavier than old 2-strokes, so you need the same horsepower from a 4 today, as from an old 2-stroke.

Thanks in advance for advice.

ebry710

Ensign
Re: 1979 Boston Whaler 15--good crabber for 3 persons?

Take a look at your USCG capacity label. I think your boat can hold 5 people, with a maximum capacity of 1650#'s and maximum hp of 70. Although the 70 hp is a stretch (although within specs) and you are talking about 3 people, I think your problem will be deck space to hold traps and catch crabs.