Whale of a deal on 13ft Whaler?!?

scipper77

Commander
Re: Whale of a deal on 13ft Whaler?!?

Looks like a good deal to me. Is there anything to look for when looking at a whaler??

I know that the foam is in between the hulls, Does that foam ever get compromised?

How are the transoms made on the whalers?

P.S. I'm not looking to buy that. Just curious.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've never owned a whaler...so I would need to do some research on that but I believe they hold up VERY well with time due to the fact that they have what's called a self-bailing hull. You can actually take the plug out while it's level in the water and if it rains the water simply runs to the stern and drains into the lake.

Not a common feature on boats but sure nice for keeping her dry.:) This would mean that unless the hull is punctured somewhere then the foam will stay dry regardless.

I would need to talk to JB or another whaler guru to see what else I should be concerned with for an older boat. I still don't like the teal, but considering buying her anyway.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

I just invested in a whaler from 1960. I'm the second owner, and it has been out of the water for 20+ years. I've only had it out a few times so far (still working out some engine bugs) but I'm VERY happy/impressed. They are super stable, and at speed plane out nicely and really cruise (of course mine has the 40 horse option)!