dual engine for a 170 Montauk 2005

luciano

Cadet
Here are some questions for everybody:
I' ve a 170 Montauk of 2005 powered by a mercury 90 hp ELPTS. I'd like to add a little engine (such as 5 or 6 HP). to troll with live baits and for my safety. What do you think about it ? How is possible to add a little engine in the best way ?
Another question: a dealear try to convince me to transform my boat in order to install dual engine (two Suzuki 40 HP or Mercury 40/60 EFI). I' ve never seen 170 montauk with double engine, but if it was possible probably it could be the right solution for trolling and safety.
What do YOU think about this idea?

"Ad erta volgo"

IL

ebry710

Ensign
Re: dual engine for a 170 Montauk 2005

Here are some questions for everybody:
I' ve a 170 Montauk of 2005 powered by a mercury 90 hp ELPTS. I'd like to add a little engine (such as 5 or 6 HP). to troll with live baits and for my safety. What do you think about it ? How is possible to add a little engine in the best way ?
Another question: a dealear try to convince me to transform my boat in order to install dual engine (two Suzuki 40 HP or Mercury 40/60 EFI). I' ve never seen 170 montauk with double engine, but if it was possible probably it could be the right solution for trolling and safety.
What do YOU think about this idea?

"Ad erta volgo"

IL

Although they look cool, I like having a big engine with a kicker rather than a duel engines. Less to tune up, less linkage and for me trolling with a little kicker uses little fuel. Plus you already have a good engine and a kicker isn't that expensive.

The following iboats forum has links to this question.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294888

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi! I have a 98 Montauk 17, which is a different model than yours, since your will have the new hull design. I have seen pictures of Montauks with double engine mounts, where dual 30HP were mounted. I can understand your desire for trolling and for emergancy power. You already have a great power plant on your boat, so I would be greatly inclined to just mount a trolling motor on it. Your idea of a 6 hp would be close to ideal, I would think. You need to check your owner's manual and be careful about the transom weight. Over at Whalercentral.com there are many pictures of Montauks with this type of mounting, and I would head over there and look at some pictures. As with many folks, I am a member of multiple forums....best of luck to you.

ebry710

Ensign

Hi! I have a 98 Montauk 17, which is a different model than yours, since your will have the new hull design. I have seen pictures of Montauks with double engine mounts, where dual 30HP were mounted. I can understand your desire for trolling and for emergancy power. You already have a great power plant on your boat, so I would be greatly inclined to just mount a trolling motor on it. Your idea of a 6 hp would be close to ideal, I would think. You need to check your owner's manual and be careful about the transom weight. Over at Whalercentral.com there are many pictures of Montauks with this type of mounting, and I would head over there and look at some pictures. As with many folks, I am a member of multiple forums....best of luck to you.

I like http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
for my Boston Whaler fix. I spend most of my time on iboats, but when I'm getting ideas for upgrades for my Whaler there isn't a lot of Whaler talking here on iboats. Plus continuouswave has the history of different Whalers.