Maximum HP for 11 ft whaler?

beachtower

Recruit
I just inherited a 11ft whaler with a 30hp longshaft Yamaha OB on a raised stainless transom bracket, The steering is of the cable, pulley and spring type. Here is my question to all of you - do any of you believe that this setup is save to operate? The boat needs a lot of TLC but runs well
By reading through the forum I believe that this boat is overpowered as I found out that the maximum power was 20 HP in 1978. I also am aware that the HP rating of OB's is not the same as today( engine output as to Propeller output as changed in 1986)
Your feed-back will be greatly appreciated
thanks
gert Vancouver BC

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Maximum HP for 11 ft whaler?

Howdy, Beachtower.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Yes, you are overpowered. All of the classic 11s were rated for 10hp with tiller steer and 20hp with remote steering.

If it were mine I would replace the bracket and 30hp with a short shaft 15 or20hp.

My classic 11 was a Tender model (tiller steered) and it was quite fast enough for me with a short shaft 9.9 Johnny 4 stroke. I have seen a few Sport 11s (console steering) with 15s that performed well with one or two teens aboard and at least one with a 20hp that pulled a skier at about 15mph.

p15camborne

Cadet

My brother put a 35 on his. I thought he was nuts, but when I was in it I always felt safe.

mc66

Seaman

the coast guard tag in my 11 tender says 10 tiller 20 remote

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Honda 25hp on a 11' whaler and I have no problem with it.