Maximum HP for 11 ft whaler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum HP for 11 ft whaler?

I just inherited a 11ft whaler with a 30hp longshaft Yamaha OB on a raised stainless transom bracket, The steering is of the cable, pulley and spring type. Here is my question to all of you - do any of you believe that this setup is save to operate? The boat needs a lot of TLC but runs well
    By reading through the forum I believe that this boat is overpowered as I found out that the maximum power was 20 HP in 1978. I also am aware that the HP rating of OB's is not the same as today( engine output as to Propeller output as changed in 1986)
    Your feed-back will be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    gert Vancouver BC

Re: Maximum HP for 11 ft whaler?

Howdy, Beachtower.

Welcome to iboats.

Yes, you are overpowered. All of the classic 11s were rated for 10hp with tiller steer and 20hp with remote steering.

If it were mine I would replace the bracket and 30hp with a short shaft 15 or20hp.

My classic 11 was a Tender model (tiller steered) and it was quite fast enough for me with a short shaft 9.9 Johnny 4 stroke. I have seen a few Sport 11s (console steering) with 15s that performed well with one or two teens aboard and at least one with a 20hp that pulled a skier at about 15mph.
    sigpic

Comment

My brother put a 35 on his. I thought he was nuts, but when I was in it I always felt safe.

Comment

Originally posted by p15camborne View Post
        My brother put a 35 on his. I thought he was nuts, but when I was in it I always felt safe.
        And you lived to tell about it!
        Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat

Comment

the coast guard tag in my 11 tender says 10 tiller 20 remote

Comment

I have a Honda 25hp on a 11' whaler and I have no problem with it.

Comment

Working...
            X