Bilge Pump

aerenson

Cadet
Here is my next question prompted by my purchase of a used 13' Whaler Sport. It does not have a pump...just a drain plug. I have seen that some Whalers this size do have pumps. Should I get one? If yes, any suggestions for size or model type would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bilge Pump

I never had or used a bilge pump in a 13, 15, 16 or 17 Boston Whaler, aerenson.<br /><br />I have left them at a mooring with the drain plug out. No more than an inch or two of water will remain, regardless of how much rain falls. I then simply drive them dry. How much water collects depends on what engine you have on it. With a 25 2 stroke it might be a couple of inches.<br /><br />"Unsinkable" really means unsinkable. Be sure that any holes through the deck are thoroughly sealed so that water cannot get into the foamed hull.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Growing up, I left the plug out of my 13' but I am reconsidering b/c the water that gathers (salt) gets really funky, and my boat sits lower than it did back in the day. But I hav a pull-start and don't want to rig a big battery operation. <br />I found some interesting rigs that whitewater canoe/kayaks have made, with a trolling motor battery (rechargeable), float or hand switch and bilge pump. Google them if you want to find a good set-up. I also considered a small battery and solar trickle charger, but they don't look sturdy enough for full sun/high salt all day.<br />Plus I'm too cheap to spend $150 on it.<br />I have a "D" battery pump so I am going to attach a float switch by drilling two small holes and wiring it direct and sealing the holes. I can buy a lot of batteries for the $150 I save! Plus, since this boat is unsinkable, I don't mind the risk of a dead battery, which would be fatal in another boat.

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I say keep it simple. $2. drain plug does the job and like JB says just drive it dry.

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet

I have boston whaler 150 sport and i just leave it out most the time! It just runs out when i drive and barely is in when im in the boat. Keep it simple...its only a 13ft boat that is unsinkable.