Bilge Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge Pump

Here is my next question prompted by my purchase of a used 13' Whaler Sport. It does not have a pump...just a drain plug. I have seen that some Whalers this size do have pumps. Should I get one? If yes, any suggestions for size or model type would be appreciated.Thanks.

Re: Bilge Pump

I never had or used a bilge pump in a 13, 15, 16 or 17 Boston Whaler, aerenson.I have left them at a mooring with the drain plug out. No more than an inch or two of water will remain, regardless of how much rain falls. I then simply drive them dry. How much water collects depends on what engine you have on it. With a 25 2 stroke it might be a couple of inches."Unsinkable" really means unsinkable. Be sure that any holes through the deck are thoroughly sealed so that water cannot get into the foamed hull.
    sigpic

Comment

Growing up, I left the plug out of my 13' but I am reconsidering b/c the water that gathers (salt) gets really funky, and my boat sits lower than it did back in the day. But I hav a pull-start and don't want to rig a big battery operation. I found some interesting rigs that whitewater canoe/kayaks have made, with a trolling motor battery (rechargeable), float or hand switch and bilge pump. Google them if you want to find a good set-up. I also considered a small battery and solar trickle charger, but they don't look sturdy enough for full sun/high salt all day.Plus I'm too cheap to spend $150 on it.I have a "D" battery pump so I am going to attach a float switch by drilling two small holes and wiring it direct and sealing the holes. I can buy a lot of batteries for the $150 I save! Plus, since this boat is unsinkable, I don't mind the risk of a dead battery, which would be fatal in another boat.

Comment

I say keep it simple. $2. drain plug does the job and like JB says just drive it dry.
        Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat

Comment

I have boston whaler 150 sport and i just leave it out most the time! It just runs out when i drive and barely is in when im in the boat. Keep it simple...its only a 13ft boat that is unsinkable.
          Marino

Comment

Working...
          X