What's your Whaler?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have been a fan of Whalers for 40 years.<br /><br />My first Whaler was a 1966 Sakonnet with a '66 Johnny 100.<br /><br />Traded that for an Outrage 18 in 1983. Fell on hard times and had to give her up. :( <br /><br />Got a '75 Sport 13 with '85 Johnny 25 in 1994. Traded that for my son's new Montauk in 1999.<br /><br />Got myself a '80 Montauk in 2000 and put a Suzi DF70 on it. Sold that to RyanT in 2004.<br /><br />Bought a '81 Outrage 18 from Brokeboats in 2002, sold it before completing restoration.<br /><br />Bought a '98 Tender 11 in 2003 to help a buddy out of a jam, sold it a year later.<br /><br />Now I have just bought an '86 Striper 15 with a '86 Johnny 48SPL and am working on restoration. I think I am gonna love this boat as much as I did the Sakonnet and the Montauk.<br /><br />What's your Whaler?<br /><br />BTW, Welcome to SBN, our new moderator of this section. :)

ob

Admiral
Re: What's your Whaler?

My first was an 83' 15 ft.sport w/60 hp evinrude manual tilt.2 years later ,upgraded to a 70 hp Johnson w T/T.Man ,that thing flew.Sold the rig in 93'.My current boat is a 96' model 15 ft. Dauntless w/a 70 hp Rude.

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB<br />My first was a 1979 17' newport with a 100 hp johnson javelin motor (hence the screen name) and I now have a 1989 22 outrage WD with a 225 evinrude.What fun we are having on casco bay with that baby. (last fall) And cant wait for spring

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB,<br />Happy to know that you'd be loving your new acquisition of the Striper 15. My first boat I bought in 1981 was Glastron 16; sold it 1996; bought this 1982 Montauk w/90 "Tower of Power" in 2004.<br />I originally jumped into a boating forum at Continuous Wave; and found this site through one of your helpful comments mentioning this Iboat site to other posters over there; thanks to you JB! <br /><br />Here's a photo of my 82, perhaps it'll help bring some sweet memories for you; should be pretty close to your 80 I think:<br /><br />
ClassicMontaukatLakeHavasu101405.jpg
<br /><br />JB,<br />actually I wanted to ask you about repowering this old Merc 90 but probably be sometimes in the future though; since this old Merc is still doing it's job (albeit the noisy/stinky 2 smokes -that some lakes in California are not allowing me to launch-and it's thirst on gas). <br /> I understand that you are highly recommending Suzi 70 DFI to anyone who has this classic Montauk hull. My question is: will the Suzuki engine mounting holes matched with what I got? If not, do I need to get a "Jack plate"-what kind?/where to buy?-since I would hate to drill extra holes thru that old transom...<br /><br />Another consideration JB; my boat came with "Teak Bow Casting Deck" option, I think it's a pretty heavy package (maybe about 150 lbs guestimate). <br />Here's a pic of it:<br />
IMG_1762.jpg
<br /><br />With the additional weight of the Suzi 4 strokes; and the 100lbs 9.9 Yamaha Kicker; plus this bow deck; you think the Suzuki DFI70 and the Montauk can handle all that, plus pulling an occasional skier? <br /><br />Sorry for all those questions JB; I might get you to thinking a bit didn't I? But I highly value your opinions, here as well as at the continuous wave...Thanks again!

JB

Howdy, ST.<br /><br />That front deck is simply gorgeous. The first time I have seen one. Clearly well taken care of, too. :) <br /><br />The weight capacity of a 17 transom is 420lb. The Suzi DF70 weighs about 360 with prop and oil. The added weight of your 4 stroke kicker would make it too much. If you want to go with a 4 stroke main engine, lose the kicker.<br /><br />The added weight forward suggests a weight forward bias compared to a normal Montauk, so I think a main engine in the 400lb range wouldn't make her too stern heavy. If you went that route I would look at the Suzi or Yamaha 90 or 115, which weigh near the transom weight limit. The Evinrude ETEC 90 is another option in that range.<br /><br />If you feel that you need the 4 stroke kicker you will be limited to a 50/60 4 stroke or a carbed 2 stroke. I think I would choose to go DF70 4 stroke without the kicker or with a 6-8hp 2 stroke kicker.<br /><br />Sorry for rambling. I haven't dealt with this exact scenario before.<br /><br />I currently have a Johnny 48SPL on the Striper. I will evaluate the performance, economy and user friendliness before considering going to a 4 stroke. If I think I want a 4 stroke it will probably be a Suzi-Johnny 50.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB,<br />Thanks for the compliment and your input. As you know, my boat has very very limited seating (only the RPS); especially with this casting deck; placing a cooler chest in front of the console with cushion on it (as would be the case for the regular Montauk) would make it too high for people to sit on. That's why you see on the 1st photo, a couple of beach chairs at the stern for the family...<br /><br />So, all this winter I've been tinkering of ways to built some kind of low profile seating at that spot in front of the console. My other complication is: I have this old T/T pump that is installed right at the middle, on top of the sump. So, fabricating a bench seat there will also be a real challenge....Really, owning an old boat would seems to always occupy your mind, doesn't it? How about your new toy JB; wanna share your plans? :)

JB

Well, she has a very good hull; little or no work there other than clearing off the oxidation and removing a huge name, reg numbers, etc.<br /><br />The previous owner (I think there was only one) had replaced the mahogany hatch cover and cooler cleats with CDX plywood, the seats with WalMart specials, installed a 12 gal. Tempo with custon (2X4) cleats and installed a cheap Johnson front troller. He had run under-gunnel wiring for'd to a plug for the troller.<br /><br />Interesting contrast: he used the cheapest possible materials everywhere but his workmanship was excellent.<br /><br />I have found and acquired a mahogany hatch cover and cooler cleats, both refinishable. I will pull the starboard side board, dash panel and a few other small mahogany parts for refinishing and make a set of mahogany cleats for the 12 gallon tank, or a 28 gallon Tempo I have just acquired.<br /><br />I will discard the beat-up Igloo 60 helm seat and install a new 72 qt. Igloo so there is room for two behind the console. I will have a new cushion made for that. Then I will try to find a pair of Navistyle all white seats. I will also make up a standing seat/leaning post for the front for Musky fishing.<br /><br />My Garmin 276C GPS will go on the console. I haven't decided on sonar yet; it may be a Garmin GSD-20 tied into the GPS or I may find room for a seperate sonar.<br /><br />I am going to stick with the Johnny 48SPL for now. If it becomes a problem I will try to find a JohnnyZuki DF50 or a JohnnyRude triple 70.<br /><br />That's about where plans are now. There are more details to decide on. I will decide them as the "to do" list gets short.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same boat as you; however, I have never seen the front decking like you have. It really looks great. Creates storage space too, and we all know the Whalers are not known for their abundance of storage.<br /><br />As far as repowering. Personally, I have a V-4 Johnson 88 spl, and I am simply thrilled with the performance. Plenty of power when you need it, and with full load, I am getting about 43 knots with her. The Whaler gets up on plane quickly, so with just a little power, I am "out-of there!"

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB,<br />Sounds like you got the project well planned. I am glad to hear this from you, this mean you're not going to be miserable anymore-for a while at least-you'll have your hand and time occupied with this hobby. <br />This would also mean that you won't be "screaming" so loud that every one (=many) at CW could hear you and try to hurry up to aid you for the "rescue". :) <br /><br />TD_Maker,<br />Isn't that V-4 Johnson 88 spl a 2 stroker? Most likely, if I'll repower it would be a 4 st; due to some lakes access restriction in California as well as noise/mix/GPH considerations...Yeah, so far, I don't know of anyone else having the same option like mine. I am not sure is it a doomed option to have or is it desirable due to it's rarity?

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, it's a 2 stroke. California does have some different rules about two strokes. Is it true they are considering banning them all together?<br /><br />About four strokes. My Dad has a Honda 60 hp Four stroke on a pontoon in Kentucky. He loves the motor, and it is SOOOOO quiet even at wide open throttle. You can barely hear the thing idle. Of course to me, it seems sluggish; however, it could be the Honda is pushing a huge pontoon and not a 17'Whaler! I would love to see what his Honda would do on the back of my boat.

hustler70

Cadet

my whaler is a 13 footer with a 2 cylinder 1979 60 hp motor. this thing flys at 50 mph and cranks out 6200rpm and screams (who needs quiet 4 strokes give me a 70's motor and watch it scream) I also biult underseat cabinets for extra storage. i built it from a wreck that had a hole punched in the bottom from a rock. took a bout 2 months to do all the work but it was all worth it. It is a great fish/sski boat and i havent met a faster 13 footer

SpinnerBait_Nut

Welcome to iboats hustler.<br />Not being very familiar with Whalers, but is not the 60HP a little over power for the 13 footers?<br />Like I said, I don't know, was just wondering.<br /><br />Again, welcome to iboats.<br />Post a pic of it when you get time.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Spinner....you're right...60hp is way too much. anything over 35mph in these boats they start to chine walk!<br /><br />35-40hp I believe is optimal!<br /><br />btw, here are pics of my 1964 13'<br /><br />
whaler-24.jpg
<br /><br />
whaler-26.jpg

JB

Real pretty boat, KK. <br /><br />I like the console. I haven't seen a homemade console on a 13 that I really liked before. I really like that one. :)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Thanks JB...I took a real beating at first at CW for modifying it the way I did. I didn't want a wood console, but I had certain requirements that I had to have to make the boat functional. I couldn't find one I could buy, so I decided to build. Since I modified so much from stock, I decided to at least go the Mahogany route to keep some of the traditional whaler theme!<br /><br />That console was a pain to build with the angles, and then to make the console door to match the same angles....lets say I'll never do that again :D

carl lazar

Cadet

i have a 1982 montauk and i have just repowered with a brand new yamaha f75 four stroke i moved the battery into the center console to adjust for the added weight on the transom the boat absolutely gets up and runs also has very little fuel comsumption great looking boat that you have

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carl,<br />Did you have to redrilled other holes for the Yamaha f75 or did you use a "jack plate"? I am just curious at this point, cause, repowering my 82 Montauk is also hanging over my mind...<br /><br />KK, <br />I admire your work on that little gem! Clearly, you have put a lot of time and energy into it!<br />"No comparison between yours and the one next to it!" Congratulation KK!

68whaler

Seaman

New here - '68 13' sport with the original '67 Rude 40. Hell of a package. In the process of refurbing both. Hull is nearly mint, building new console and refinishing seats and side boards. Running into a few snags with the 40 Rude but hope to have both finished for this summer. Would you believe I bought the entire package including trailer, skis etc. in '72 for $950?