'87 Sportsman 1950 I/O value?

basalt51

Seaman
I'm going to look at an '87 Sportsman 1950 I/O (2.3L/Cobra) this weekend and I am wondering what you all would estimate the value at? Assuming its in good condition and everything is in good working order? It has a "new" floor and carpeting and its basically the original owner. Nada seems to list it at just under $2000. They are asking just over $3K.

Thanks.

basalt51

Seaman
Re: '87 Sportsman 1950 I/O value?

I looked at it yesterday and it looks like a 20+ year old boat. Most of it is still apart from having the carpet and SOME of the wood replaced. Its hard to tell which has and which hasn't been replaces. Most of the wood around the engine and transom is clearly old.

The bolts for the engine mount are very rusty, and all the screws are rusted. it appears there is ryst staining around the cooling hose connectors on the motor. Is this a bad sign or normal?

Upolstery is badly weathered/cracked. Owner says if the boat doesn't sell they were going to replace all the upholtery, which is why they haven't bolted anything back together.

I'm pretty doubtful the radio, shiptoshore, fish finder work.

So the good points: Hull seems to be in good shape (only thing I see is some siliconed screws/bolts going through the transom on the port side, probably where the depth sounder or something was previously locate), Engine itself looks good, prop/outdrive look ok and was solid with a good shake,
the carpet and new decking looks good and is very solid.

I'm weary of the boat because of its age, but the only other things I see in the 2-3K range are ~14' boats with 15hp outboards.

Any opinions?

force fan

Cadet

I check ebay periodically to estimate value but there are no Blue Fins for sale at this time for comparison. I saw this same model a year ago being offered for several hundred bucks. The interior was completely shot. No telling what the engine and drive were like. It was obvious the owner(s) took little care of the rig. Who knows if it actually sold. You're in project boat territory so prices (and expectations from sellers) can be all over the map.

I'd get a thorough engine analysis (and review of the owner's maintenance records) as engine issues will drive the majority of future costs in owning this boat.

I wouldn't even think about paying $3K without having the owner redo that wood and upholstery first.

Blue Fin 1700 Sportsman
Force 85

basalt51

Seaman

Thanks Force. I keep going back and forth thinking its not even worth the trouble, then I look at all the $6K, 14' basic aluminum boats with tiny outboards for sale in my area and think maybe a few thousand for a nice big 19' is a good deal.

Apparently the local boat shop here is the one that has serviced it. I'm going to talk to the owner and have it cheked out. If thats good I'll probably offer $2K.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know that this may seem like comparing apples and oranges, but I just bought a 1988 Sportsman 1700 for $1500. It needed new seats and the apholstery is pretty shot. However, all-in-all it is a solid boat. I can't think that the boat that you are looking at is worth double my price. Yes yours is larger and has an I/O, but it is also a year older. I think that the $2000 NADA value is more appropriate. Just my 2 cents worth.

Profittakr

Seaman Apprentice

Friend of mine picked up an '88 Sportsman 1700 with an '88 Yammy 70hp and trailer 2 years ago for $2k. Solid shape floor and upholstery in decent shape. Runs strong. Not perfect but nothing to be ashamed of either. Sadly my friend died 16 months ago. I have inherited the boat and keep his memory alive.