Need info from a Spectrum 1700 owner - USCG Capacity Plate

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice
I own a 1991 Spectrum 1700 fish ski with a degraded and illegible USCG capacity placard. Without it I cant pass a USCG or WA State inspection. Would someone please record all the information contained on their helm USCG capacity plate (sticker on my boat) and post it here? Will use the info to have a replacement plate/sticker made.

I searched through the forum archives and got some good leads. After that I contacted Brunswick, Tracker Marine/Fisher and Starcraft/Smokercraft/MonArc directly and they were all unable to help. Somehow the records were lost or destroyed during the various sales and eventual termination of the Spectrum line.

Thanks

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need info from a Spectrum 1700 owner - USCG Capacity Plate

Steelhd,

I'm having the same problem. I too called Brunswick and they can't even find my boat using the HIN (see my post below). One thing that you might try is to look on the internet, ebay, craigslist, etc, to see if anyone is selling the same boat. Sometimes they post pictures of the USCG decal from their boat. Or you can try emailing the seller to see if they will give you the info.

There is a generic formula for boats that you can try. I don't know if this will hold up in court but this is from my local DNR website. This does not apply to all hull types, but works for our boat type.

All dimensions are in feet.
MAX HP = (Length x Width x 2) - 90 (round answer up to next 5 hp). So if your boat is 19 feet long and 6 feet wide ---- 19 * 6 * 2 = 228 - 90 = 138 so max hp = 140

Max Person = (Length x Width) / 15
So 19 x 6 = 114 / 15 = 7.6 = 7 person capacity.

If your boat is slightly larger or wider than 19 or 6 then you can try using the decimal portion to justify a slightly higher HP or Max person capacity. Example 19ft 4 inches would be 19.33 feet, etc.

Hope this helps,
Geeco.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Geeco.

Looks like I may have to use the formulas and have a phony plate made. If we cant find the information with all this effort there probably isn't a sheriffs deputy or Coastie that can prove me wrong :)

fprevos

Recruit

I have a Spectrum 1700 and the plate reads :
6 persons or 750 LBS
1300 LBS persons, motor, gear
120.0 h.p motor

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

The first formula for max HP is correct but the second formula for persons is not. Thta formula is an old rule of thumb that was used mainly to give a general idea of how many persons you could carry.

Weight capacity and persons capacity are based on displacement weight, that is, the weight that the boat displaces when it is sunk down to the point where water starts to come into the boat. i.e. the weight it takes to sink the boat. For an outboard boat, that weight is divided by five and then the engine, batteries, and fuel weight are subtracted giving you the weight for persons. The number of people is determined by adding 32 to the persons weight and dividing by 141. for more on this see http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/load.html

Obviously this is too complex for the boat owner to do so it is best to find the plate info from another owner.

However, try this. The USCG may have tested that model for compliance or it may have been involved in a recall. If so they would have the capacity info. E-mail **** Blackman at USCG HQ Office of Boating Safety. Richard.A.Blackman@uscg.mil

Some used boat guides have the capacity info in the listing. BUC doesn't by I believe the NADA guide does.

Some sales listings give the info too. Try on-line boat sales sites. If not you may find another owner this way and get the info from them.

PS: The info given above looks good. Go with that.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all!

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Spectrum 1700 and the plate reads :
6 persons or 750 LBS
1300 LBS persons, motor, gear
120.0 h.p motor
fprevos,

Out of curiosity what year is yours? There seems to be quite a difference in ratings between the 1988-1989s and the 1992-1993s.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree... there seems to be a huge difference. When I contacted Brunswick, the only information that they could find was for a 1989 Sportsman 1700. It showed 5 persons / 85 hp. However, on my 1988, I can make-out 7 persons on my boats sticker. But they also admitted that the documentation that they have on these boats is sparse.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 1700
1988 Force 85 hp
Is the Sportsman a fish ski?

In a couple of weeks my rebuild will be done and it will no longer be a "fish ski" boat. Just a pure fishing boat. Will try to post some pics.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

If your boat is slightly larger or wider than 19 or 6 then you can try using the decimal portion to justify a slightly higher HP or Max person capacity. Example 19ft 4 inches would be 19.33 feet, etc.
At 17' long x 85" wide I could theoretically hang a 150 off the back. Looks like manufacturers never rate for the max HP probably due to motor weight. Maybe there is a liability concern too. Knowing people will overload the boat they reduce HP by some factor.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the Sportsman a fish ski?

In a couple of weeks my rebuild will be done and it will no longer be a "fish ski" boat. Just a pure fishing boat. Will try to post some pics.

Yes, Mine is a F/S. I'd love to see some before and after pics. Mine has the U-shaped bow seating, but I've seen some that has jump-seats in the front. I am thinking about re-doing mine this winter. I may change from bow seats to jump seats. I've already removed the back-to-back seats and replaced with pedestal seats.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, Mine is a F/S. I'd love to see some before and after pics. Mine has the U-shaped bow seating, but I've seen some that has jump-seats in the front. I am thinking about re-doing mine this winter. I may change from bow seats to jump seats. I've already removed the back-to-back seats and replaced with pedestal seats.
Be ready for a major project if you want to do it right. I ripped out all the carpet, except for in the storage boxes under the consoles, and am replacing it with marine vinyl and Herculiner. I even got rid of the black plastic on top of the consoles and fabricated a new dash panel. NOTHING on the boat is close to square and the carpet hides huge manufacturing imperfections. The glue and carpet backing was sticky evil stuff. Talk about a mess. I gave up on the grand plans and just want it done now. Has already taken two months working on it a few hours at a time.

basalt51

Seaman

I agree... there seems to be a huge difference. When I contacted Brunswick, the only information that they could find was for a 1989 Sportsman 1700. It showed 5 persons / 85 hp. However, on my 1988, I can make-out 7 persons on my boats sticker. But they also admitted that the documentation that they have on these boats is sparse.

Just wanted to add I looked at an '88 1900 OB today and the rating was 8 people and 150 HP. I don't remember the lbs. Sorry.

I migth be looking at 2 more Spectrums tomorrow. I'll try to get a picture of the plates if I can.

basalt51

Seaman

Looked at the boats:

Spectrum 17 Foot OB - year unknown, but it was fully welded.
Persons: 6
Weight: 1300
HP: 125

'91 Spectrum 1900
Persons: 8
Weight: ~1700
HP: 135

Sorry no pictures, I forgot the camera.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks basalt51.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

Just an FYI if you need a replacement plate. I contacted a local trophy shop and emailed them a full color template. They can make it out of plastic using a dye sublimation printing process and it is UV stabilized. Should look better than original, hold up over time and the total cost is under $30.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you send us, or post the template? That way, we can use it for ours as well.

Profittakr

Seaman Apprentice

I have an '88 Sportsman 1700 and I believe both plates are legible. Happy to send pics if one of you needs it.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

Can you send us, or post the template? That way, we can use it for ours as well.

I don't see how to attach anything to a PM. PM an email address to me and will get it to you.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

I have an '88 Sportsman 1700 and I believe both plates are legible. Happy to send pics if one of you needs it.
I bet geeco1 could really use that. I would like to see it too.